[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Right, so this bit is exceptionally stupid. The electrostaff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: Capture.png (515 KB, 850x322) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
515 KB, 850x322
Right, so this bit is exceptionally stupid.

The electrostaff used by Grievous' guards were stupid because lightsabers are supposed to be a mythical weapon that can cut through damn near anything. To have a weapon that can block them defeats the point.

HOWEVER, they made sense in a certain way due to the context in which they existed. Grievous' guards fought in a war where Jedi and lightsabers were prevalent. If a weapon to block them HAS to exist, it makes sense to have them be utilised in a situation where lightsabers are seen everywhere.

So why, then, does a First Order trooper have a staff that can block lightsabers? The last of the lightsaber users stopped being active thirty years before the setting of TFA. Kylo Ren doesn't really count seeing as how he is aligned with the First Order. But it's gotten to the point where Jedi and lightsabers are urban legends, so why have weapons that are designed to defend soldiers against them?
>>
>>62708668
>what is a force staff
>>
electrostaffs are able to block light sabres but not cut through all normal materials instantly like lightsabres
>>
cause poetry
it rhymes
>>
>The electrostaff used by Grievous' guards were stupid because lightsabers are supposed to be a mythical weapon that can cut through damn near anything. To have a weapon that can block them defeats the point.

It's canon that the Jedi used a sort of metal saber that served a similar purpose but was not energy. Presumably the staves are made of them. The Mandalorians used these knives/swords after the turn of the tide to fight on equal melee footing with the Jedi.

Presumably the metal is not rare or JJ is appealing to its rarity. Either way it's canon that sabers can be blocked - and we all ready knew dense metals could inhibit via Georgie's take.
>>
>>62708668
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By3b4RFTL98
>>
There are several lightsaber resistant materials in the Star Wars universe, the Mandalorian iron "beskar" being a common one.

Taking into account the fact that Mandalorians are rumored to be involved with TFO and the Order of Ren in VII, it's not that surprising that the First Order would have lightsaber resistant armor.
>>
This is one of Kylo Ren's personal Luke Skywalker hunting troops outfitted with an anti-lightsaber defense. Not a common Stormtrooper.
>>
>>62708709
I shouldn't be expected to have to watch EU shit (even if it is canon) to understand what happens in a live-action movie.

>>62708719
Yeah I know that. I'm saying that a weapon designed to block lightsabers removes the point of lightsabers, but they make sense in the context of a war where lightsabers are everywhere. Here, however, lightsabers are totally unknown things, so why do these weapons designed to block lightsabers still exist?
>>
>>62708668
if darth vaders plastic shoulder pads can stop laser swords, why is this a big deal?
>>
>>62708762
If this is the case, I can accept that. I know that I haven't seen the full movie so a shot in a trailer is taking things out of context, but if it's an ordinary footsoldier wielding this it's just plain stupid.
>>
File: 3414.png (179 KB, 286x286) Image search: [Google]
3414.png
179 KB, 286x286
>>62708763
>can't be bothered to watched outside movie info
>sperges over simple details to irrelevant to explain in a movie
>>
>>62708763
force staffs are in ROTJ senpai
>>
I love how every justification for stupid shit like this just seems to be made up as we go along. Some retarded EU shit or weird interpretation of something in the movies which should be the only thing considered canon
>>
>>62708793
it's part of the inherent problem with making more Star Wars films. in the first three there was literally one scene where people actually fought properly with sabers per movie, in TFA we have 2 minimum.

the weapon was always guaranteed to have less impact if it was brought out for anything other than a major plot point. needing to have light-sabers be blocked by anything other than a light-saber is just the kind of thing you should have expected.
>>
>>62708793
Keep in mind, Finn is not a Jedi. He's an Asshole wielding a found lightsaber
Sticking feathers up your ass doesn't make you a chicken.
>>
Kylo's stated goal is to wipe out the last of the Jedi. Luke is the last Jedi. Kylo is searching for Luke.

He has a group of special forces stomtroopers with weapons designed to fight Jedi.

I don't see a fucking problem, for once, Star Wars lore makes sense.
>>
>>62708668
>So why, then, does a First Order trooper have a staff that can block lightsabers?

This is a Disney movie, they cannot show men being slashed apart, Disney will not show that level of violence.

This is a movie that they want to get a whole new audience with: Kids and teens. They cant show that stuff to them.
>>
>>62708803
Dude it shouldn't be a fucking scavenger hunt of bullshit in order for a piece of media to make sense.
>>
File: RoyalGuardForcePike-BTM.jpg (19 KB, 368x480) Image search: [Google]
RoyalGuardForcePike-BTM.jpg
19 KB, 368x480
>>62708668
>lightsabers are supposed to be a mythical weapon that can cut through damn near anything
Where did you get this idea? It's incorrect.

The First Order has them, presumably because the Emperor's Guard had them.
>>
>The electrostaff used by Grievous' guards were stupid because lightsabers are supposed to be a mythical weapon that can cut through damn near anything

Says who? You? OT sabers couldn't even cut through Vader's shoulder pads or Cloud City's guard rails.

>it's gotten to the point where Jedi and lightsabers are urban legends, so why have weapons that are designed to defend soldiers against them?

Again, says who? You? In the OT, the Empire had an ex-jedi commanding their soldiers with a laser sword being the only weapon he carried around.

Quit being retarded.
>>
>>62708948
no it doesn't. it will never make sense again. but i can still enjoy it for the clusterfuck mess it is.
>>
>>62708668
>lightsabers are supposed to be a mythical weapon that can cut through damn near anything

Damn near anything does not mean everything you retard. Even in the original trilogy Vader's armor could somewhat resist lightsabre blows.

>To have a weapon that can block them defeats the point

Your point was retarded and wrong to begin with. Not to mention it's the jedi wielding them that makes the lightsabre so dangerous, not the lightsabre itself. By your logic, Palpatine and Vader should have mass produced lightsabres to hand out to all stormtroopers and have an invincible army.

>But it's gotten to the point where Jedi and lightsabers are urban legends, so why have weapons that are designed to defend soldiers against them

Show me where it's said that the staff this trooper is using is designed for use against jedi. Haha you can't you fucking dumb cunt.
>>
>>62709011
>This is a movie that they want to get a whole new audience with: Kids and teens.
That was always the audience of Star Wars, dummy.
>>
>>62708668
>lightsabers are supposed to be a mythical weapon that can cut through damn near anything.
EU bullshit. Lightsabers bounced off Vader's armor and the railings in the Jedi duel.

If you want to include the Prequels, Darth Maul taps the weird shield things with his lightsaber.

Qui-Gon has to do the weird lightsaber in the center of the door thing once the blast doors closed in the beginning of episode I.

It seems that going off movies alone, the lightsaber does face resistance not only from energy fields but also physical objects.

Are you even a fan of star wars?
>>
wow do you think maybe since time's progressed since then that luke's trained a bunch of jedi and they're more prevalent now?
no, because you're paid to shill this horrible travesty to death
>>
>>62708803
Everything pertaining to what's in a movie should be in the movie. Like another anon said, it shouldn't be a scavenger hunt. I shouldn't have to read a novel of what happened seven years prior to the movie taking place in order to figure out why something in the movie happens.

I should have to read the novelisation of Sith to know how and why Grievous kidnaps Sheev.
>>
>>62709195
>disinfo shills accuses someone of being a shill

Does that pay double?
>>
>>62708809
Never actually used.
>>
>>62708668
>The last of the lightsaber users stopped being active thirty years before the setting of TFA. Kylo Ren doesn't really count seeing as how he is aligned with the First Order. But it's gotten to the point where Jedi and lightsabers are urban legends, so why have weapons that are designed to defend soldiers against them?

isn't it ~50? Luke, Vader, and Ben were the only ones that used lightsabers in the entirety of the galaxy during IV V and VI. They were urban legends even then
>>
>>62709203
>Grievous kidnaps Sheev
It's actually irrelevant. EU had like 3 different explanations for it.

And the only reason is: cause they at war, lol.
>>
>>62709103
>Emperors Guard had lightsabers
>Picture of a Force Pike

nice try
>>
>>62708668

>First Order covers up the details around the Emperor's death
>Normal citizens just hear rumors about Jedi
>Kylo works for First Order and knows to expect them, has guards equipped with energy weapons

Not that hard.
>>
>>62709218
i don't even
>>
>>62708668
Nice head-canon faggot.
>>
>>62709203
You shouldn't have a problem with this, then, since nothing implies it's only designed for defense against lightsabers. Nothing in the movies says lightsaber are "mythical". You're creating something to be upset about.
>>
>>62709261
I was referring to OPs question "why does the first order have staves". Use context.
>>
File: ShockTroopershocks-Deception.jpg (18 KB, 325x432) Image search: [Google]
ShockTroopershocks-Deception.jpg
18 KB, 325x432
Riot control troopers have always carried electrostaffs with them. Why should they stop now? Also, what if Kylo went rogue? How are they supposed to defend themselves?
>>
>>62708668
It's called escalation, man.

Team 1 has swords
Team 2 gets guns to get around the swords
Team 1 gets armour to defend against the guns
Team 2 gets blasters to get through the armour
Team 1 gets laser swords to deflect the blaster fire
Team 2 gets electrostaff to defend against the laser sword

Look at the world around you. Guns get bigger and meaner every year. Escalation.

Gordon has a line in Batman Begins about it. Can't remember it off the top of my head but it's something like "we buy kevlar, they buy armor-piercing rounds. We buy semi-automatics, they buy automatics. And you're running around with a mask, so take this guy..." implying that Batman elevated the fight, setting the stage for the Joker to come in and elevate it further.

As for them still having them in TFA, I would assume that the electrostaffs are there entirely because of Luke or perhaps the possibility of other Jedi. We only saw them once in the trailer, and it was to fight against a lightsaber.
>>
File: colt 1911.jpg (697 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
colt 1911.jpg
697 KB, 3008x2000
This is a M1911. Its been around since the end of the 1800s. People still use these today.

A guy carrying around an electro staff means one thing. IT FUCKING WORKS. You don't stop using things if they still hold up well. Smacking someone with that staff is going to hurt, even if they aren't armed with a lightsaber. The fact that it can block a lightsaber is a bonus.
>>
>>62709011
>This is a movie that they want to get a whole new audience with: Kids and teens.
>a whole new audience with: Kids and teens.
>a whole new audience : Kids and teens.
Nigga what?
>>
What's this from?
>>
>>62709103
Have you any canon proof that those sticks could parry a lightsaber?
>>
>>62708668
It just occurred to me, why didn't they make the rest of the robot out of the same stuff as the staff?
>>
>>62709403
>1911
>Its been around since the end of the 1800s
>1800s
>1911

something's not right
>>
>>62711504

That's when it was official adopted by the US military you dong
>>
File: 1446804872902.jpg (42 KB, 499x501) Image search: [Google]
1446804872902.jpg
42 KB, 499x501
In the OT, lightsabers were never magical cut through anything devices. Look at the duels on Bespin and the throne room, the only time scenery is cut is when luke cuts off vaders hand with a lot of force. On Bespin their sabers strike the railguards multiple times, but never cleave them. Same in throne room.

Abrams, being a hack, is basically making them that way again
>>
>>62711504
It was designed in the late 1800s and is the result of experimentation and design throughout the mid and late 1800s. I assume that "M1911" is the designation they gave it when it went into service in 1911.
>>
C O R T O S I S
O
R
T
O
S
I
S
>>
>>62711598
Look closer. The railguards do in fact have gaps cut in them after getting hit by a saber
>>
>>62708763
>I shouldn't be expected to have to watch EU shit (even if it is canon) to understand what happens in a live-action movie.
What makes you think they won't explain it in the movie? You do realize the trailer is not the whole movie, yes?
>>
>>62709011
>hurr disney only makes kiddy shit
all phase 2 marvel movies have dismemberment and thats owned by disney too
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.