[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HBO: What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: HBO-Logo.svg.png (42 KB, 2000x876) Image search: [Google]
HBO-Logo.svg.png
42 KB, 2000x876
>The Sopranos
>The Wire
>Six Feet Under
>Deadwood
>Rome
>Carnivàle
>Curb Your Enthusiasm
>Entourage

>Game of Thrones
>True Detective
>The Leftovers
>Girls
>Getting On
>Ballers
>Togetherness
>Silicon Valley
>Veep

How would you fix it?
I would cut all the half hour comedies and focus back on dramas.
>>
>>62703469
cancelled Boardwalk
also:
>Entourage
>>
>>62703469

You can't fix it. In the early days HBO was trying to build up a rep. They focused on quality as best they could even if some series had to be cut short because of the cost.

Now, they have a rep. Shows are called good just because they're on HBO so the measure diminishes. GoT is regarded as a great show, but let's be real, aside from production values, it's Saturday even syndication quality writing and acting--yet it wins fucking Emmys. TD, even S1, same thing.
>>
>>62704003
>TD season 1 same thing
what the fuck? True Detective and the leftovers are the two best shows on television right now. well okay maybe not TD season 2, but season 1 sure as hell was. HBO still is top dog with 2 best shows on tv right now family
>>
>>62703469
Veep, Silicon Valley, and The Leftovers are really good. Not as good as the stuff in 2005 (barring Entourage, seriously what the fuck?) but still very much "must watch TV".
>>
File: not muh blood.gif (53 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
not muh blood.gif
53 KB, 320x240
>>62704045
>not liking Entourage
>>
File: enough.jpg (55 KB, 604x517) Image search: [Google]
enough.jpg
55 KB, 604x517
>you will never watch sopranos for the first time again

jdimsa
>>
>>62704073
Entourage was fine in its early seasons (not great or even good really, but watchable) but it went tits up around season 4 when the writing staff was literally taken over by women.

Also War of the Worlds is a shit film and Spielberg's worst of that decade.
>>
>>62704031
>imblyign Season 2 isn't a misunderstood masterpiece

Stay plen
>>
>>62703469

They cancelled Carnivale, that's whats wrong.
>>
File: oh god.jpg (36 KB, 529x526) Image search: [Google]
oh god.jpg
36 KB, 529x526
>>62704112
Well I guess I can't deny either of those counts

Have a reaction image from a much better movie anon
>>
File: ep2-ss10-1920.jpg (573 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ep2-ss10-1920.jpg
573 KB, 1920x1080
>>62704126
>>imblyign Season 2 isn't a misunderstood masterpiece
>"Wow we sure are lucky we were able to sneak in the one room in a huge mansion where two international criminals happened to be discussing business! Also by some stroke of luck we managed to grab all these incriminating documents that has all these signatures from literally every criminal involved! They were just sitting on the desk!"
>>
>>62704131
fucking this. i'm becoming a screenwriter and one of my goals is to ressurect carnivale and give it a proper season 3 and a good, fitting ending.
>>
>>62704187
They say "It takes one to know one." Well, I'm two and I know you.
>>
>>62704187
>imblyign Season 1 was any better
>"Wow I sure am lucky I was able to sneak out of the huge ghetto where gangbangers, bikers, and policemen happened to be fighting! Also by some stroke of luck we managed to grab Ginger who has some sort of passing relevance to the plot! The bikers were all just distracted!"

You could cut Season 1's "masterpiece" episode out and nothing of value would be lost.
>>
>>62704226
Season 1 was dogshit too: Silence of the Lambs stretched out for 8 episodes, whoo! But season 2 was worse and that is an accomplishment.
>>
>>62704251
Wow you have the perfect combination of no taste and bad taste. It's like staring into a wormhole leading to a dimension of shit.
>>
>>62704213

I hope you're loaded since Knauf said third season was meant to be the most expensive looking.

HBO still hold the rights to it and I think pretty much all the actors are available to return, why they aren't bringing it back especially how in between seasons two and three there was meant to be a ten year time skip, now would be the best time to do so considering ironically HBO cancelled when they were sinking a lot of money into it now they produce Game of Thrones, one of them most expensive looking series on air at the moment.They'd be able to fund it no problem.
>>
>>62704309
A fan of True Detective telling me I have no taste is like some priest telling Galileo the sun revolves round the Earth.
>>
>>62704187

It was a private meeting of shady businessman bro, you should pay more attention
>>
>>62704376
a private meeting in a room two incompetent drunks could break into.
>>
>>62703469

>Deadwood
>Rome
>Carnivale

HBO took risks because of how well The Sopranos and Sex and the City were doing. We got at least 2 seasons of some amazing shows, but financially they backfired for HBO. So basically, HBO doesn't want to take risks anymore. I haven't seen The Leftovers but it's probably the riskiest show they have now.
>>
The 2015 list is better. You're so goddamn pleb. Got a Fight Club poster in your room, too? Big fan of Pulp Fiction, I suppose?

Die.
>>
Turning down Mad Men

We could have had Mad Men with tits and ass
>>
>>62703469
The only bad shows there are Girls, Getting on and Togetherness. Everything else is pretty good. Also Entourage is shit
>>
>dislikes True Detective
pleb detected
>>
>>62705183
Add ballers and nearly half of their programming sucks.
>>
>>62704402
Did you not notice the guards that they had to sneak past?

God, it's like arguing with a fucking chimp.
>>
>>62705213
Ballers is not bad tho. It is what Entourage wanted to be. You hate Ballers because you are a little white boi racist that belongs on /pol/
>>
True Detective S1 was better than The Wire and The Sopranos

But then again none of this matters because we're mere biological puppets under the illusion of being a person
>>
Entourage is awful
>>
File: nihilism_intensifies.jpg (851 KB, 1831x1022) Image search: [Google]
nihilism_intensifies.jpg
851 KB, 1831x1022
>>62705194
Take out Rust and all his psuedo-intellectualism and you have a standard cop mini-series who's only positive is that it is well shot and acted. But the story is complete poop tho
>>
>Game of Thrones
>True Detective
>The Leftovers
>Girls
>Getting On
>Ballers
>Togetherness
>Silicon Valley
>Veep

How would you fix it?

>Game of Thrones
>The Leftovers
>Silicon Valley
>Veep
>>
>>62703533
>Boardwalk Empire was good meme

Fucking plebs with shit taste
>>
>>62705257
Rust was an absolutely shit character. I'm baffled that people latched onto him.
>>
>>62705241
>True Detective S1 was better than The Wire and The Sopranos
For fuck's sake, kid.
>>
>>62705241
Fuck no. True Detective S1 might be equal to The Wire season 5 and vastly inferior to any Sopranos season at best.
>>
HBO was ahead of the curve. AMC,FX,Showtime,ect all saw what hbo was doing and became competition.
>>
>>62704031
The Leftovers is not that good. It's okay.

Liberalism happened. Girls is feminist trash. Veep is feminist trash. Getting On is feminist workplace trash. Doll and Em is good but it's not technically HBO just acquired by them.

The Leftovers is a liberal dystopian wetdream showing why they're better than a conservative world.

Silicon Valley and Ballers are good.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.