[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
top 3 directors of all time? 1: Kubrick 2: Andrei Tarkovsky 3: Bergman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
top 3 directors of all time?
1: Kubrick
2: Andrei Tarkovsky
3: Bergman
>>
File: image.png (208 KB, 336x475) Image search: [Google]
image.png
208 KB, 336x475
Don't be so entry level
>>
These lists are shit. Stop trying to think someone is **factually** (lmao) the best.

>>62665787
>lists three good to great directors
>MUH ENTRY LEVEL WHY YO ULIKE COUPLE OF HT EBEST DIRECTORS

case point etc.
>>
File: Biggest pleb.jpg (30 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
Biggest pleb.jpg
30 KB, 409x409
>>62663577
>>
Jesus Franco
Russ Meyer
Tino Brass
>>
David Lynch, Rob Zombie & Sam Raimi.

pls i beg no bully
>>
>Lynch
>Refn
>Bergman

>>62665863
No one is implying anything is factual, autist, it's our own opinion
>>
George Lucas
>>
>>62666004
im saying these threads really require the YOUR TOP 3 DIRECTORS, the **YOUR** part.

or else it will be eternal shitflinging

I have seen how these threads go without the YOUR or FAVORITE descriptor
>>
>>62663577
>Stanley Kubrick
>Fritz Lang
>Arkia Kurosawa
>>
>>62666015
What's the best Kurosawa film, iyo? Been meaning to get into him.
>>
>>62666048
Rashomon
>>
>>62666048
Ikiru and Kagemusha
>>
>Riefenstahl
>Ozu
>Bergman
>>
If Bergman ain't in your top 3, you ain't patrician, familia.
>>
>>62666303
I haven't even started with Bergman. I am just spooked of his massive filmography. Decided I start in release order though (since everyolne recommended different films).

What to expect from him? I see Offret is mentioned often being very Bergman-like but I hope not since I don't like Offret
>>
Scorsese
Lynch
Kurosawa
>>
What do you people see in Kurosawa

What do you people see in Samurai Kurosawa stuff

Genuinely interested

are there any reviews or write-ups that would help me to appreciate these

good grief I am glad I am done with almost all of them
>>
>>62666334
try the following order (see it as the bergman main series, titles and brackets are optional)

Wild Strawberries
Seventh Seal
Persona
Virgin Springs
(The Silence)
(Winter Lights)
(Hour of the Wolf)
(Shame)
Fanny & Alexander
>>
>>62666361
They influenced many directors of the next generation, Like Bergman, Tarkovsky, Kubrick but also Leone and Scorsese. They are somewhat of a blueprint in terms of visuals and narrative.
>>
>>62666048
Best kino is high and low, best film is Ikiru, best movie is Rashomon, best flick is Seven Samurai.
>>
>>62666398
I have seen everyone but Bergman but couldn't see Kurosawa in their movies except in Leone..
>>
File: GOAT.jpg (49 KB, 640x452) Image search: [Google]
GOAT.jpg
49 KB, 640x452
Kobayashi
Sokurov
Melville

>>62666048
start with Seven Samurai or Ran

>>62666361
It's not just because of his Samurai works, its because of his film career as a whole is immaculate. Watch High and Low if you want a non-samurai film.

>>62666371
Winter Lights is only not optional if you're a hardened atheist. For any believer or would-be-believer, essential viewing.
>>
>>62666417
If you for example look at the camerawork, how shots are composed and scenes are put together you might see many parallels. Michael Ballhaus who was DP for most Scorsese films cited Per Nykvist, Bergmans DP as his main influence. Nykvist himself translated the camerawork of kurosawas work to european cinema.
>>
>>62666421
I personally liked winter lights very much, despite me being more agnostic. Its a good message no matter what you believe I think.
>>
>>62666523
So I should have noticed something of Kurosawa in Tark's Offret? Maybe I can recollect some things that might look like him now, but it still feels like stretching.

Are there good write ups on Kurosawa you would recommend
>>
>>62663577
Waters
Hill
Ferrara
>>
>>62666552
You will also see Kuro in czech cinema, like Frantisek Vlácil who did Marketa Lazarova or some movies by Forban.

As to Kurosawa-in depth analysis, maybe try this for starters:

http://www.filmref.com/directors/dirpages/kurosawa.html
>>
Korusawa is to modern cinema what Nas - Illmatic or Dr. Dre - The Chronic is to modern Hip Hop. It changed the dynamics of the medium/genre.
>>
>>62665787
Greatest asian film of the 90's right there.

To answer OP's question:
>Kieslowski
>Marker
>Bergman
>>
>>62666698
Name one positive thing that Kurosawa contributed to cinema that silent epics didn't.
>>
>>62666523
Sven Nykvist*
>>
>>62666761
Slow motion
>>
Nolan
Dolan
Noe
>>
>>62666791
Slow-motion was around as early as the late 20's and was used quite a bit throughout the 30's. I'm sure there are even earlier examples I'm not aware of.
>>
>>62666772
Sry my bad, confused him with another guy.
>>
>>62666822
Seven Samurai was the first film to employ slow motion in its fight scenes.

He also invented the buddy cop genre.

And through Yojimbo, sparked the basis for Spaghetti Westerns.
>>
>>62666820
66% right
>>
>>62666638T
Thanks for the link will read later
>>
>>62666820
One genius and two hacks.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.