[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Peanuts Movie: A Review
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 486x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 486x720
Just saw The Peanuts Movie.

While the pacing and soundtrack leave something to be desired, the charm and the innocence of the original Charlie Brown cartoons manages to shine through. You can't help but root for the perpetually luckless blockhead, as the world continually builds him up just to knock him back down again.

What really stood out to me was this almost complete refusal to modernize. Despite the new art style, the animation is surprisingly old-fashioned save for Snoopy's dogfighting scenes with the infamous Red Baron (by the way, 3D is worth it for those scenes alone). The characters still use corded phones, book reports are still written with pencils and paper, there's not a single element that wouldn't fit perfectly into one of the old cartoons, even going so far as to use kids for the voices. They even revert to the 2D art style when Charlie Brown's daydreaming.

While it maintains the spirit of the originals, it also has this frustrating inconsistency with pacing. The plot, which centers around Charlie Brown's quest for the Little Red Haired Girl, goes with much more focus than the original cartoons, which were much more content to simply meander and enjoy exploring the characters and the situations they get into. The soundtrack is also disturbingly devoid of Vince Guaraldi's classic jazz piano soundtrack, save for the iconic "Linus and Lucy" theme. Meghan Trainor did a song for this, and it sticks out like a sore thumb amidst the original score done by Christophe Beck (Ant-Man).

Despite this, The Peanuts Movie manages to be a comforting throwback to the classic Charlie Brown specials, and may serve as a welcoming point for the next generation.

8/10.
>>
>>62655720
Any good meme material though?
>>
>>62656068
Not much, but there are some genuinely funny moments in there.

There's a point where psychiatrist Lucy has Charlie Brown look into a mirror and says "See this? This is the face of failure." I laughed like a fucking retard at that.
>>
>>62655720
But the most important question is
did you clap?
>>
>>62656160
Contrary to popular belief, some Americans aren't fucking retards. I'm probably not one of them, but no, I did not clap.
>>
>>62656119
>not much
stopped reading there
>>
File: 4chan visits tumblr.gif (39 KB, 600x119) Image search: [Google]
4chan visits tumblr.gif
39 KB, 600x119
It doesn't really look very likable and I like Peanuts quite a bit. The 3D art is kind of gross to me, and your comment's about the film's structure and pacing are basically what I expected. I might go see it anyway, though. If nothing else, to bitch about why it's bad.
>>
>>62656232
So the movie was bad
would not watch
>>
>>62656335
Yeah, I don't think it's for everyone, but for a long time I had this big dumb grin on my face.
>>
File: pe510112.gif (35 KB, 600x119) Image search: [Google]
pe510112.gif
35 KB, 600x119
I could never picture Charlie Brown with a blonde crew cut, even though I know that's how he's supposed to be depicted.
>>
>>62656337
I wouldn't say bad. Just uneven.
>>
>>62656679
Really? That's weird.

The movie just shows him with that single strand of hair.
>>
File: pe510317.gif (45 KB, 600x117) Image search: [Google]
pe510317.gif
45 KB, 600x117
>>62656747
It's not supposed to be a single strand of hair. It's the outline of where his hair ends. He's supposed to have super fine blonde hair, shaved really close to his head.
>>
>>62657172
I know. That's how they made it though.
>>
Just got back from seeing this, as a big peanuts fan I really liked it. I was a fan of the animation, but not everyone likes it I don't think. But I loved how well they were able to get down all the characters quirks and things like the way they walk. I was grinning like a little kid half the time, and there's genuinely some funny moments. And funny things for older people which I enjoyed. Wished for better music though. One of my favorite animated movies in a long time
>>
>>62657501
The music was a damn shame.
>>
>>62657633
Agreed, I loved the parts where the original theme would play and when they were Christmas caroling was pretty funny
>>
>>62657927
>Hitman: Snoopy Edition
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.