[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished watching this for the first time. What are some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
I just finished watching this for the first time. What are some of /tv/ thoughts on this documentary?
>>
Great doc, exposing what a pack of degenerate freaks the Crumb clan are. They have the royal flush of every perversion going.
>>
I thought his brother was interesting. Crumb seems kinda shitty toward him tho.
>>
Revolting and powerful, Crumb and his family are great examples of how mental illness and skewed morality can just fuck up entire families. Have you seen American Splendor yet? Not the same really but it's about Harvey Pekar who was friends with Crumb along with being a contributer to is comic of the same name of the film, it's very charming.
>>
I love American Splendor and always wanted to know more about Crumb. Can you give me some of the more fascinating details of this movie?
>>
Haven't watched it in over 10 years, so don't remember much other than I thought it was fantastic at the time. What did you think OP?
>>
>>61743881
I think it's better just experienced, it covers a bit of his early life and career but it's primarily focused on who he and his family are, which is just a really screwed up bunch of people.
>>
>>61743817
I havent seen it but will have to check it out soon, thanks anon
>>
>>61743925
As plainly as i can describe, i felt foggy and almost surreal watching it. Like another anon on here said i took alot of interest in Charles(even more so than r.crumb) so the ending caught me off guard but in a way didnt at all. I think after letting it sink in i mught say its not particularly about a fucked up mentally-ill family but rather the one who got away while still being able to stay to himself and even exposing his true nature
>>
>>61743815
How so?
>>
>>61744053
Stay true* to himself
Sorry on mobile right now.
>>
actually this film is as relevant to documentaries as r. crumbs art was to comics.

it spawned an entire sub genre of docs focusing on eccentric characters that i enjoy very much.
>>
Reminder that millions of fucked up hermetic families like this are all over the world but we only get to see this one because Robert somehow became famous.
>>
>>61744393
Famous is pushing it, he's a tremendously talented artist and sparked a movement in comics but the film was made because Zwigoff knew him.
>>
Exceptional documentary and god tier music.
Who do you think was the catalyst for their mental imbalance? Their authoritarian dad?

>>61743817
>and skewed morality
How so?

>>61743796
> degenerate freaks the Crumb clan are. They have the royal flush of every perversion going.
Conformist normie go away please. Charles was lovable and a bro
>>
>>61744606
>catalyst for their mental imbalance
It seemed like it was all sexual.
Robert loved to be dominated, big amazonian women, playing up his image of being a pathetic little kid.
The hippy loved dominating, forced sex, public, voyeur
And the hermit was a pedo
Having fucked up sexuality makes you feel like a freak and a terrible person, making you unable to develop proper social skills.
Where boys get their sexual fetishes from I don't know. Childhood experiences, early sexual development?
I would think the mother had a bigger role in it.
>>
>>61744606
>R. Crumb, in his own handwriting, reveals the obscure "Chinese Curse" placed on their violent marine father, that has, (possibly), been the karmic reason behind the grim childhoods of the Crumb children.

This essay in Crumb Family Comics makes a pretty strong case that his family is literally cursed.
>>
I like the Bukowski/Crumb stuff. Wish they had more of that in the doc.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.