[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Seoul a good place to visit? I live in Australia and want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
Is Seoul a good place to visit? I live in Australia and want to go on a short trip somewhere just cause I've been feeling bored lately but it kinda sucks being so isolated because there's basically only asian countries to visit. Don't get me wrong, they can be great but they get boring eventually.

Anyway I've learnt a bit about SK at uni but haven't really heard much about their culture or anything, to me they just seem like a really production focused place with not much to offer. Say I spent a week in Seoul what would it be like?
>>
it's pretty fun. if you haven't been to tokyo, bangkok, or hong kong yet though, go to those places instead.

this is coming from a guy who's been to those cities and has lived in korea (still am) for the last 3 years.
>>
>>974871

I'm an Australian and feeling bored too. SK looks pretty gay, I'd rather go to NK.

If you want to just have good cheap wholesome fun try Cambodia, they have errything.
>>
>>974939

please don't. i went to cambodia, it's swarming with australian frat boys and european douchebags wearing sleeveless shirts, getting drunk and acting like assholes, climbing on the ancient ruins and basically being an embarrassment to the west.
>>
I am a German who is actually about to visit seoul and would like to know as well.

>>974882
How expensive is living over there?
>>
File: KOREAN-BBQ-2_2.jpg (4 MB, 2583x2500) Image search: [Google]
KOREAN-BBQ-2_2.jpg
4 MB, 2583x2500
Seoul is a great city IMO. It's huge... definitely enough shit to do to keep you busy for a while. The food is amazing. The girls are hot. Nightlife areas like Hongdae, Itaewon, Gangnam are a lot of fun. Myeondong is fun to check out for shopping. Makes Oxford Street in London look sparsely populated.

Also Seoul is very much a 24 hour city... stuff is open really late which I love.
>>
>>974955

relatively cheap, compared to most western countries. i live extremely comfortably on a $2000+ a month salary, with enough money left over to take regular trips around Asia, either on 3 day weekends or during longer stretches of break time.
products like clothes are a little expensive, but necessities like food and household goods are cheap.
>>
>>974956
>>975089

Sounds like you live there. Seoul strikes as a nice place to live but I wouldn't want to live there. The stuff you listed is nice, but as a tourist, it's nothing I couldn't get closer to home. What are the tourist/cultural attractions? What's unique about it? From afar it looks like "not as good Tokyo"
>>
>>975093

>From afar it looks like "not as good Tokyo"

Pretty much this OP. Like this anon said: >>974882, you should just go to Tokyo or Hong Kong if you haven't been there yet.
>>
>>975093
I lived in Seoul for a year and it was great. Maybe a bit of nostalgia but I love the whole vibe of the city.

Been to Tokyo too and it was amazing. Tokyo probably has it beat if you can only go to one city. The tourist attractions are prettier. It's "cooler".

Advantages of Seoul:

A lot cheaper
Better food (personal taste)
A lot more 24 hour and buzzing at night
>>
>>974882
I've been in Korea for 6 weeks now. I'm liking it a lot so far. I teach at an unusual hagwon in a town called Tongyeong. Since you've been here 3 years I'm taking it as you've generally had a positive experience?
>>
>>974882
>>975316

How did you get set up with a job in Korea? What's your Korean speaking level?
>>
>>976395
Months of screening job offers through Dave's ESL cafe, going through some recruiters. In general just being incredibly picky. Paid off I think. 2.4M for my first job and it's pretty enjoyable.

My Korean level is basically zero. I can say hello/thank you and I know how to read Hanguel. Unless you actively try to learn Korean you won't, it's not necessary for survival outside of a couple key phrases.
>>
>>975093

>nothing i couldn't get closer to home

well yes. that's why i like living in korea. i have everything here i could get living back home, except with a korean flavor. if you're looking for adventure every day, get a job teaching in africa or cambodia. however, i like having the comforts of modern living and a steady paycheck. most days after work i crash at home and relax watching american tv shows or by doing some painting. certainly living in korea provides me with small daily adventures, but otherwise i enjoy my calm peaceful life here. i like korean food, korean women, and seoul. i guess that's why i continue to stay.

>>975316

first year was awful. i worked for a shitty hagwon. i learned from the experience though, and i got much better jobs my 2nd and 3rd time around. korea's great. even though i said the OP should go to hong kong or tokyo, i wouldn't live in either of those places because i like korea more. however that's because i've grown accustomed to it, and i understand for first timers korea can be a little rough. you liking it so far?

>>976395

search internet recruiting sites, be very discerning of offers. however for really good jobs you've gotta network. i got my current job because i had the principal and head teacher at my last job writing me stellar recommendation letters and my co-teacher calling up schools and personally vouching for me. i would have stayed at that school, but the government cut the budget to its english department. so sad.
>>
>>976408
The OP was asking about visiting though. You reinforced my earlier view. Looks like a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to live there.
>>
>>976409

yup, i'm not trying change your mind or anything. just laying out the reasons why i like it here. and i still stand by what i said before: if OP is looking to visit somewhere and he wants new and exciting, tokyo, hong kong or bangkok are the way to go. seoul is mild in comparison to those places.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.