[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this allowed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: crying-children-airplanes.jpg (63 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
crying-children-airplanes.jpg
63 KB, 640x480
Why is this allowed?
>>
> not giving your small child benedryl before the flight.
I had a short flight that would have been perfectly enjoyable turned into an infuriating experience because some cunt's princess could not refrain from yelling, screaming, kicking my seat, and disobeying her mother.
>>
>>965624
A baby's eardrums are not the same as an adult's. I've heard that the pressure change that is common to air travel is extremely uncomfortable for a small child's eardrums.
Stop being a fucking idiot. Babies cry on airplanes. Deal with it.
>>
>>965631
Not him, but it still blows cock. I feel bad for the kid and parents in addition to myself. In light of never having the chance to fly before I was an adult, though, it could be considered a somewhat privileged position, not in the tumblr SJW sense.
>>
>>965624
The parents should really do everyone a favour and send it on by post before they go.
>>
Because once YOU were young, and maybe YOUR parents wanted to travel someplace. Show some tolerance of the "we are in a society" type.
>>
Not all kids are awful on the airplane. Just a vast majority of them. I fly often, and sometimes when I see the rare well-behaved kid, I feel like complimenting the parents after the flight is over.
>>
>>965670
Consider the following: If you've never been too poor to afford air travel except once in your life, then shut the hell up.
>>
>>965624
OP, the issue is that:
a) infants do not know how to equalise pressure
b) infants have delicate ear-drums

The combination is that their ears hurt and they don't know how to stop it. When infants are in pain, they cry.

Most parents don't know about these things and even most flight attendants don't really know how to deal with it. My scuba instructor had stories about nearly every time he flies, taking some parent aside and explaining to them how to calm their baby by making it drink something or by manually manipulating its jaw and stuff.

He brings spare baby drinks to give to any screaming babies so they equalise their ears by swallowing.
>>
File: 1426726315175.jpg (29 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1426726315175.jpg
29 KB, 400x400
>>965670

Nope. My parents were considerate to other human beings. My first flight was at the age of 5, when I was able to control myself.

Fuck anyone and everyone that brings an infant on a plane. Cancer of society.
>>
>>965689
>Fuck anyone and everyone that brings an infant on a plane. Cancer of society.
Grow up, edgy adolescent. Infants are humans, and sometimes humans have to go somewhere. If you are unwilling to share space and put up with the fact that sometimes you will hear a noise you don't enjoy for a few hours, just as everyone else in the world puts up with the occasional minor inconvenience, it's your obligation to stay indoors and avoid interacting with other people.
>>
>>965689
>>965725

The both of you are too extreme in your views. Parents with kids are not the cancer of society and children can be more than a minor annoyance.

I sat next to a woman who thought it was ok if her child stood on my leg for three hours. It was not. I was recently seated with a child to my right, 2 children in front of me, & two diagonally from me (one in front to left and the other behind and to the left) and I thought was going to go insane, especially since I had upgraded my seat to economy plus.

Really I think part of the problem is how miserable flying has become in general. It isn't new and special anymore so we forget how amazing it is that we are flying. Also the seating is getting more cramped, the tsa is shitty to deal with, the flights always include hidden fees, and so on so the extra problem of a screaming child can be the straw that broke the camels back.

That being said the worst person I ever say next to was a thin Asian woman who didn't say a word the whole flight but threw up during take off then ate the inflight meal and threw up during the landing.

Man fuck her.
>>
>>965682
I was thinking about telling the mother that breastfeed helps, but was worried that since I'm a guy they would think I just wanted to see their tits.
>>
>>965682
This.

They need to swallow or suck, anything that moves the jaw. If they have any kind of congestion at all, it's killer for them. This doesn't explain seat-kicking though.

I think the issue is spanking, and lack of it. My parents flew on airline passes with me, and I were to dare to misbehave, they'd have been reported to lose their flight benefits. We. Behaved. It only took one pointed look from Mom or Dad, or a whisper, and we'd straighten the heck out (fear of a spanking). I was never spanked, actually, just the once or twice I bet. Parents who don't believe in spanking rely on maturity that doesn't exist in kid's frontal lobes to do the right thing, to distract them from what is a long boring existence. A kid that can't self-entertain is probably never taken to church and sat quietly an hour in their life. They have few experiences of do-this-my-way-until-I-say-stop in their lifetimes. Can't expect them to sit still in a car or a plane if they never do anything other than run wild. These guys have the same problems in school with discipline too. But parents don't want ADD medicine, it's better to ignore behaviors than constantly correct their child to the point of negativity 24/7.
>>
>>965729
where do you people get such lousy cabinmates?

I fly economy 100% of the time for cheap as fuck but because I don't get on a plane full of people from detroit, on a flight to detroit, I've never had to deal with people who couldn't cope with their own shit.
>>
>>965624
deal with it
>>
>>965729
She probably hates flying and only did it out of necessity since she knows she gets air sick? That's probably why she said nothing during the entire trip. Not everyone can have total control of their bodies. But if I were her, I definitely would have prepared some toothpaste and a toothbrush ahead of time if I knew that was going to happen.
>>
>>965773
Shit goes down in First Class as well as Economy, all the time. You're not calling out OP as some special snowflake just because you've have some weird travel bubble around you. It's business class where it's usually adults only and the crew takes care of their peace and solitude in a big way, from an upgrade, a seat move, or speaking to unruly passengers. The frequent business traveler is the bread and butter of an airline. They're the masses that can make or break a route towards a competitor instead.

I'm a 40+ frequent traveler, and I've had horrendous situations, which most of the time will be anything to do with Asia, Africa, anything French, and anything to do with Amsterdam. You want to avoid the unwashed masses, then don't get in economy on BA, where connections to former empire nations might get you seated between two rows of the family of 15 from India all shouting between the seats, or some birka'd dead on her feet mom and nanny letting her male children run wild around the cabin uncaringly. You could sit next to some unwashed guy from S. Africa who has had several days sweating in his clothes and without a worry in the world to his fellow passengers boarded a 14 hour flight without a freshup and change of clean clothes he kept just for the flight. Pick a nationality you don't want to fly with, not Detroit, which is simply a connecting hub and nothing more. You want polite people? Try Atlanta. You want trash-talking rude people who shove? Blow through LGA or JFK. Want some really polite and considerate passengers who have clue? DC will be fine. Want to sit next to a person doused with half a bottle of perfume such that you get a migraine when they reach up to your overhead throughout a flight and bare their pits? Try Paris as your connection.
Fly enough, and you'll be offended by other passengers, from the infectious disease person to unbathed, doesn't even need to be behavior.
>>
>>965725
Death of a significant family member or a permanent moves to far away places are the only excuses. Sometimes babies have to fly, but outside of extreme circumstances its just rude and inconsiderate.
>>
>>965631
You're only making it more obvious why people should "not" take a baby onto a plane....
>>
>>965689
I'm not all the way on board with this guy, nor am I an edgy adolescent, but my parents deprived the shit out of my siblings and I out of fear of us making shamefur disprays.

Then again, we were also broke as shit, so they might have been shifting blame onto us for shit they couldn't afford.
>>
>>965624
I have travel memories pre-3, and my parents adored us exploring the world as kids, same as if you take a kid to the park, museums or markets in your own locale. They never left us behind. Their world was their kids. We never were parked with grandparents for their escape from us. But, we behaved.
>>
>>965624
What allowed? Children on planes? Infants on laps? Children crying on planes?

What has you upset, OP?
>>
>>965624
Because children are more important than you you selfish cunt.
>>
>>966420
Are you also one of those parents that thinks their opinion is more important and they're suddenly a better person because they managed to create a few little hellspawns?
>>
>>965729

Economy plus is $40 more. Did you really think you were going to get away from those little shits ?
>>
>>965624
There should be either a soundproof "family" section for screaming children or mandatory sedation. Flying is shit enough without stinking nappies and crying babies.
>>
It depends where you are flying to.

The sort of destination where middle class people go like Rome will rarely have screaming uncontrolable children on the plane because the parents tend to give a shit how their children behave in public and have told their children what to expect, they also tend not to bring very young children on holidays outside their own country.

If you are going somewhere chavy like "Magaloof" of "Ibeeefah" then guess what chavs bring their children with them and don't give a flying fuck if they act up.
>>
>>967104
god bless cry rooms in churches
>inb4 euphorics criticize religion, referencing my upbringing
>>
>>966426
>tfw you are constantly surrounded by such people

They can talk of nothing else. "Muh kid actually shit in the toilet today, he so much smarter than every other kid on Earth! I was like wow ha ha!"
>>
File: 1367289666938.jpg (26 KB, 397x261) Image search: [Google]
1367289666938.jpg
26 KB, 397x261
>mfw I hardly ever cried when I was young, even on planes

Born to be a sperg.
>>
The issue is parents who think they shouldn't do anything to keep their kids quiet.
>>
>>965689
Agreed.
>>
>>965773
>Detroit

Nigga wut.
This is a thread about children, not Detroiters. Most people who out of Detroit Metro Airport are white. Or Asian, oddly enough.
>>
>>967178
>Or Asian, oddly enough.
and a sizable amount of those Asians are Iraqis
>>
>>965624
They should have a kid section on airplanes, where parents and children are forced to sit. Seperated from the general public.
>>
Based AirAsia
>>
>>967232
I can't believe this hasn't been implemented in most airlines already.

I already hate flying enough as it is.
>>
>>967126
>Muh kid actually shit in the toilet today
That's actually a pretty huge step in child development, m8.
>>
>>967243
His argument seemed to be that since it's a significant marker, it's universal and therefore, by definition, not extraordinary enough to even mention.
>>
>>967289
That, and noone else wants to here about it.
>>
>>965624
I'll tell you the same thing I tell the shithead with the kids that keep kicking my seat on my weekly airplane commute.. I am going to start teaching your kid language you don't want them to know, I'll start with really tame shit but then I am going to escalate and explain explanations..

Or you can move the fucker/control them
>>
>>967232
That's how trains work in Denmark. I miss it.
>>
>>965783

man i got fucked on this flight.

>as i was sitting down in my aisle seat some guy comes up to me and says "can we change seats, i'd like to sit next to my wife."

>I think to myself "man, fuck you. this is an airline where you can pick your seat for free when you buy your ticket, how did you fucked this shit up?", but then i say, "ugh. i guess. where is your seat?"
>guy responds "oh i'm in the center over ther"
>fuck me, i fucking hate center seats.
>"oh, hmm, ok yea, sure."
>I sit down between asian girl and businessman.
>businessman thinks he's too good to speak with me and asian girl is looking out the window.
>this flight is going to fucking suck.

>OPen up my magazine, start to read while listening to my ipod.
>take off. in the air for about 6 mins, girl lunges for airsick bag.
>fuck me and fuck her.
>hold magazine up to face and crank ipod music.
>seat belt light goes off, out of my chair i go, and straight to the back of the plane.
>flight attendent, "I saw you give up your seat that was nice of you."
>"Well, it seems no good deed goes unpunished. the chick next to me is throwing up. Is there somewhere else to sit?"
>"it is a full plane, but you can hang out back here with us, if you like."
>ugh, ok.
>bullshit with flight attendants for a while
>ding!
>"ok, we are about to land you need to return to your seat."
>find asian girl eating bag of chips and other shit.
>we start to land, she pulls out the blue bag of death wrapped around her air sick bag and pukes and pukes and pukes and pukes.

>land, pay to take a shower at the airport. tell the people at the airport what had happened.
>"yea she was probably hung over. it is pretty common on that flight."

the only thing i learned from that flight is 1) some first class lounges has showers in them
2) if a traveler is visibly ill you can have him/her removed from the plane before it takes off.
>>
>>967343
>1) some first class lounges has showers in them

All of them afaik, at least for intercontinental flights.

Also
ITT: 1st world problems
>>
>>967351
>ITT: 1st world problems
There's that Louis CK skit about how upset people get about flying without considering it is a technological wonder to be able to travel huge distances very quickly.
>>
>>967352
Yep.
Living by choice on a tiny island 10K km away from the mainland, and traveling to places every time I have the chance, I'm very grateful plane travel is so easy.
A 10h inconvenience is nothing compared with the chance to discover new sights our parents or grandparents would have only dreamt of.
But hey, Y generation and all that I guess.
>>
>>965807
Why would anyone take a baby on an airplane unless it was really necessary anyway? It's a few hours of your life and you can wear earplugs, people should just deal with it
>>
>>967381
>people should just deal with a 14 and a half hour flight listening to a sound that is particularly designed to bother people

If I can call the cops on my neighbors for throwing a loud party, then asking people not to bring their very young children on intercontinental flights shouldn't be that big of a deal.
>>
>>967343
>some first class lounges has showers in them
Most business class lounges too, my work sent me to the other side of the planet once, business class the whole way with Singapore airlines.

Such a nice trip, most relaxing way to spend 20 hours that I could think of.

Full buffet in Changi, plus shower, plus Champagne...just amazing.

Had Lobster Thermidor on second flight, cheese platter, more Champagne, Singapore Slings (but made with a mix, really quite weak alcohol instead of the usual massive dose), fuck me. So nice.

And the uniforms are all super-low-cut and the stewardesses are always bending over you, it really is quite ok.
>>
File: mad dog.jpg (154 KB, 565x600) Image search: [Google]
mad dog.jpg
154 KB, 565x600
>>967398
Try calling the cops because your neighbor's babby crying is irritating you, see how far that gets you.

Enjoy your new-found pariah status.
>>
>>965689
>>965624
i agree with most anons in here, its unavoidable sometimes to have to bring your kid, so just endure it, though it is a bit inconsiderate of the parents.

>>965670
>>965675
funny thing is though i was apparently not like that. my parents wouldn't take me flying if they could not because i was loud and obnoxious but because i was the opposite, i was too well behaved. though i dont remember it that well and have since grown out of it, my parents told me stories of how i used to just walk up to complete strangers and just start asking questions or following them i they had something i liked. they said i trusted pretty mush any adult no matter how shady they looked.

one funny story which i slightly remember was one time at the mall. I apparently left with a random man and his kids since i was playing with them. I got into the guys minivan and was playing with his son in the back the guy didn't realize i was there until they got home and found a random black kid getting out with his son playing with his poweranger toys.
boy was my mom mad, but she still had a good laugh with the dad who was apologizing profusely, i even became friends with the kid when i realized that monday that we went to the same elementary school.
>>
>>967381 I'm not fan of kids, especially on planes, but I'm also not in this thread's Anti Baby Mafia. My beef with your post is

>implying ear plugs work
>>
>>965689
My mother never allowed me to cry in public places. Crying in public places either resulted in going home or for her to take me outside till I stopped crying.

Fuck parents who let their kids cry like that. I understand not giving in to the child, but politely remove yourself, go into the fucking lobby if you have to, and calm your child.
>>
>>968021
Its one thing once the kid's past infancy and can be kept from crying by the very method you describe -- Christ knows my parents did that to me -- but this thread's all about the combination of not being able to step out, and having someone who by definition can't be coerced into not crying.
>>
>>965729

Got on an international flight to Asia. Decided to fly Korean AIr this time around.

Guess what?
Best flight ever.

Everywhere else was full except for the seat next to mine and the guy in front of me had the same situation. Gotta give the nod to each other for that.

15 hours of having TWO free seats next to me. Best thing is the stewardess offers me the meal for the those seats since they have extra.
>>
>>967232

What is a hot seat?
>>
>>968024
That is true. Which is why you shouldn't be flying with your child, unless absolutely necessary. Unless you have no where to drop that kid off, that kid should not be coming on an airplane. Why the fuck should it come anyway, it's not like it's going to remember shit.
>>
>>968056
>hot seat
They assign specific seats to people who ticked 'spicy' when ordering their meals.

>Probably for in-flight upgrades or something.
>I guess they could be heated seats for tropical natives who can't handle plane air-conditioning
>>
>>968056

The human body takes it's time to acclimatise to temperatures so if you are flying from somewhere cold to somewhere hot you can waste a day or so sweating and feeling uncomfortable. The heating elements in the hot seats start the acclimatisation process as soon as you step on to the plane, saving you vital hours of acclimatisation when you get to your destination.

This is especially useful for business passengers who may just be visiting a city for a high powered business meeting or something and going straight back home afterwards or idiots who booked a 2 day city break somewhere like Rome and thought they'd just get off the plane, see the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Colosseum,, Forum and the Vatican in that time and not be hit for 6 by the heat and humidity.
>>
>>968054

On a direct DC to Moscow flight I had three seats to myself. In fact there were more empty seats than full seats on the flight. it was awesome.
>>
>>968081
dude, fucking what? I've done exactly what you've described -- going from somewhere cold directly to Doha and needing to get "high powered" shit done immediately with none of this sweat lag (snicker) you're describing.
>>
>>968191

You were probably sitting in one of the hot seats without realising it then. They are controlled by computers that turn up the heat gradually while you are sitting there so you might notice it if you changed seats mid flight to a hot seat but otherwise it is so gradual you might not register the temperature on your back and bottom going up slowly.
>>
>>968191

What >>968210 said. You must have been sitting in a hot seat. It is unfortunate that they can't have every seat a hot seat because of the potential issue of smellier travellers that don't use antiperspirants B.O.ing the plane up (you'll notice a stewardess always discreately sniffs you if you are going to sit in a hot seat and moves you on if you're a bit pongy).
>>
>>968210
>>968251
I can guarantee you both that i was emphatically not in a hot seat, so please spare me the back prevailing.
>>
>>968272

Given your story I find that rather hard to believe, unless you come from a warm country originally so it was the cold country that you had to adapt to.
>>
>>968276
>Given your story
What do you mean by story? Are you
>implying
I'm cooking this up?

Look, I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I had a cheap ticket -- therefore no hot seat, and the seat didn't feel warm the way you're describing -- and those were my subjective experiences. Anecdotes aren't evidence, but you're presenting none in favor of your claim. I'm sure that Google can link me some anecdotes and ads in favor of the concept, but even if I hadn't done what I did, it doesn't pass the smell test.
>>
File: BecameComfy.jpg (12 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
BecameComfy.jpg
12 KB, 225x225
>>968272
>spare me the back prevailing
Spare the what?

Anyway, hot seats are awesome. As a frequent traveller I always book them exclusively because otherwise I tend to get off the plane with a chill. It's so much snugger with a blanket and a hot seat, the ultimate comfy. It's sort of an inside knowledge thing but I like it that way.

Keeps me nice and toasty and I sleep like a baby. I always pay extra for them if it's needed but usually I just flash my frequent flier card and get them for free. I fly enough to be a silver member of both major airline alliances (nearly gold on Star alliance).

I don't think I can go back to ambient temperature seats except when I'm travelling to somewhere that's freezing anyway.
>>
>>968335
>I had a cheap ticket -- therefore no hot seat
The stewards only know the seats by the numbering, they're not usually marked (on some airlines maybe like Air Asia). You could conceivably have ended up in one randomly.
>>
>>968378 Saw this argument coming, while conceivable, again, the thing wasn't hot. The earlier map suggests they're not random, and google not bringing up much adds to my initial suspicion that I have fallen for or am falling for an elaborate ruse. If so, bravo. If not, no offense by my
>implication
>>
File: 1427172052948.jpg (18 KB, 257x227) Image search: [Google]
1427172052948.jpg
18 KB, 257x227
>>967381
>ear plugs work on seat-kicking
>>
>Booking a flight with Delta after my paycheck clears
>Dad wants a window seat near the back (bathrooms)
>connecting flight from Atlanta has no free seats in the back
>we're going to go with Economy Comfort
>despite having to pay extra for it the whole way, Dad still insists on regular seating for the first half of the flight because it's close to the bathroom

Goddammit, Dad. I could have booked already, but my idiot ass brother just had to gave his phone turned off and ask little bro to save his faggoty ass instead of going to Walmart and buying his phone card with cash. It's only a little extra, but it's still a fucking chore and I just know the rates are going to be jacked up tomorrow.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.