[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deathwish Trips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9
File: az-derb-citadel.jpg (267 KB, 700x492) Image search: [Google]
az-derb-citadel.jpg
267 KB, 700x492
ITT: Places that you want to go but the very real risk of being murdered or kidnapped prevents it.

Here's the citadel of Derbent, in Dagestan. There's been a city here for over 5000 years, the citadel was built by the Sasanian Empire in 500 AD.

I'd kill to see this in the flesh, sadly since it's in fucking Dagestan it's more likely that I'd be kidnapped and brutally murdered by islamic rebels.
>>
>>952868
Syria
Afghanistan
Congo (this one is partly doable though but currently I think the hassle sets me back)
Yemen (maybe you can exclude socotra)
Tibet (not dangerous just off limits for the independent traveler)
Venezuela (though I think the tepuis and the jungle interior are not that dangerous)
Mali

I really have not given up on them. I hope during my life I will visit some of them. But currently I don't dare doing them
>>
there's always Irbil, capital of Kurdistan.

Irbil may be the oldest continuously occupied city on Earth.
>>
I've always wanted to see the breakway states around the former USSR. like the autonomous jewish oblast which was the first jewish state. Nagorno Karabak which is an armenian enclave completely surrounded by azerbaijan. south ossetia would be nice (in georgia) as well as Transnistria in Moldova and cechnya
>>
>>952914
Nagorno-Karabakh is not that dangerous. Or at least that's what I expect as I'm going there this summer. I've been doing some research and the territory is pretty safe. Even Agdam is supposed to be pretty safe
>>
>>952909

Been there. It's probably the safest place in Iraq.
>>
>>952868

Indian and Bolivian death roads. I just get a traveling woody thinking about it.
>>
File: 1415989174552.jpg (112 KB, 744x597) Image search: [Google]
1415989174552.jpg
112 KB, 744x597
Darien Gap
>>
>>952943

That's a good one as well.
>>
File: 020.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
020.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
I am a femaleBritfag and I've been to Jeddah. Would have been 100% lashed if they had known what I do all day in London.
>>
>>952868

Always wanted to go to Papua New Guinea but too scared of being killed.
>>
File: Screenshot_47.png (9 KB, 419x94) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_47.png
9 KB, 419x94
So, let's see whats with this Dagestan problem...
>>
>>952945
what do you do all day in london?
>>
>>952976
>what do you do all day in london?

Prance about with my hair flapping in the breeze and my skin on display, talk to countless (countless) men who I'm not related to, smoke, drink, drugs, shag a bit. When my dad was alive I disobeyed him 24.7. Can't drive so I lose points for that.
>>
>>952986
you should probably learn to drive and eat more bacon.
>>
>>952937
Been to the Bolivian one. No big deal. Go there
>>
>>952868
>Dagestan
I know a bunch of guys from Dagestan, Chechenya and Ingushetia - some of them have moved back there. Apparently it's been getting a lot safer, lots of investments and reconstruction in the last few years. I'd say it's it's a valid destination if you give things a few more years to settle down.

>>952937
>Bolivian death road
My sister biked down that one, go figure.
>>
>>952986
Can we have sex so when you tell this story in future it is even naughtier? Please? I will email you.
>>
>>952986
Man I love the word shag
>>
I'd like to revisit the areas my platoon patrolled my first year in Iraq. Isakndariyah and surrounding, primarily and a little bit of Baghdad
>>
>>952933

Same. I never felt endangered when I was in Erbil, although the dynamic might have changed ever since the Peshmerga began engaging ISIS. When did you go? I was there last June.

I'd really love to see more of Iraq, to be honest. My other "deathwish" destinations would be Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Yemen (Sand Manhattan, nigga). I think all of these destinations would be doable, with the right safety precautions. I met an older Australian guy who hitchhiked through northern Afghanistan a couple of summers ago, and he the word he used to describe his journey through was "uneventful." I'd feel comfortable traveling back to Iraqi Kurdistan, too, but it'd be hard for me to justify leaving the Kurdish zone of control.
>>
>>952914
>autonomous jewish oblast which was the first jewish state
if it's your dream, why don't you check your facts? This statement couldn't be more wrong
>>
>>952945
What did you do there? Was it for work? I don't think you can enter Saudi Arabia as a tourist.
>>
>>952986

I'm in Bristol. Call me.
>>
File: jeddah.jpg (243 KB, 943x653) Image search: [Google]
jeddah.jpg
243 KB, 943x653
>>953238
Yes, for work. I'm a travel agent. Still only Biz and Hajj/Umrah visa available. KSA made noises about tourist visa but it's not going to happen.
>>
File: Völund.jpg (55 KB, 355x399) Image search: [Google]
Völund.jpg
55 KB, 355x399
United States.

I'm a black muslim.
>>
i always want to try the Trans Siberian train from vladivostok all the way to europe. Im a solo traveler, asian.
So i think i might get kidnapped along the way as i stopped in some cities.
>>
>>952893
>Tibet (not dangerous just off limits for the independent traveler)

Why are the Chinese so dodgy about letting solo travellers into Tibet?
>>
As an aside - one can get LHRMCX (Uytash, Dagestan) in June for ~£400 on BA to Moscow then VIM to Uytash.
>>
>>953285
Pure butthurt. They don't want any foreigners to see a side of Tibet that's not approved by the Chinese government.
>>
Amazonian rainforest or Congo basin, the thick of it.
>>
>>953266
kek, but the muslim part is way less dangerous to you than being black. Even then, the danger of negroiditude is a function of where you are, and the racist rubric of "niggers versus black people."

>inb4 go back to /pol/, I'm not from there and have no beef on any race or religion
>>
>>953352
Most black people in the US are killed by other black people anyway, white on black racist violence is extremely rare.
>>
>>953272
This, i'm portuguese so i guess is not that bad.
>>
>>952893
Why would you ever want to visit afghanistan? Its seriously nothing but dirt farms or mountains depending where you are. I got to sleep in compounds with afghan locals on numerous occasions, so I will say the food is kind of good. Thats about it.
>>
I finally went to afghanistan last October and it was actually really lovely. The province Bamiyan is actually completely safe and as long as you don't be an idiot you'll be fine. It was probably the nicest trip I've ever been on.I also stayed in kabuL but that's been getting
less safe as of late and the place I was staying was recently hit by a missile...

Iran is gonna my next dangerous destination I think.
>>
File: uwot.jpg (10 KB, 254x295) Image search: [Google]
uwot.jpg
10 KB, 254x295
>>953431
>Iran
>Dangerous
>>
>>953420

The nature seems beautiful and the people are apparently interesting and hospitable. IMHO, I like talking to people while traveling more than I like seeing cool shit.
>>
North Korea
>>
>>953449
Not dangerous in the slightest, edgelord.
>>
>>953420
I'm him. Just check in Google images herat, baminyan buddhas (even though they are blown up), jam minaret, the blue mosque, the pamirs and the list goes on and on. You might personally not like it but it's got plenty of things
>>
>>952868
Dagestan isn't like that since the Chechnyan War (second one)
leader is on Putin's side, most of Dagestan is 10x safer, so if you're careful it's fine.
>>
>>953285
>Why are the Chinese so dodgy about letting solo travellers into Tibet?

Because they keep turning out to be sneaky journalists.

And these days everyone with a facebook is a de-facto journalist so they don't want them seeing anything off-script either.

That said, Tibet is easy enough to arrange if you dot your is and cross your ts.
>>
>>953471
Agreed, I'd love to see the place. Someday maybe. The father of a friend bought a bus in Spain and drove there overland back in the 70s... He said it was wonderful.

I'd add Pakistan to that list too. I realize it's still relatively safe, but still beyond my personal risk tolerance. I'd consider Gilgit-Baltistan but am waiting a bit after those 10 mountaineers were murdered to see if anything similar happens. If not, I'd be keen to visit.

I'm amused by the idea of faking being a Muslim and going to Mecca. I have no actual intent in doing it, but the idea is interesting.
>>
Went to Syria five-six years ago or so, it was amazing, especially Aleppo.

ISIS now blew it all up, not many attractions left as far as I know.
>>
>>953821
>faking being a Muslim and going to Mecca
Not so easy. You need some kind of certificate from your local imam. After that, you need luck, since only a small number of applicants are selected each year by lottery. It would be a lot easier to just fake a business visit. I've heard the Saudi authorities are easy to corrupt, though.
>>
>>953840
Even on a business visa you can't fake your way into Mecca. You need to show you're Muslim.
>>
>>953846
And not just that. You need to show that you have the hajj permit. In other words, your papers need to be in order so you get cleared to enter Mecca.
>>
>>953837
Yeah there's basically nothing left standing. The crusader fortress in Aleppo is, obviously, but ISIS has levelled almost everything else.

I always wanted to shop for obscurities in the grand souk of Damascus, now I never will because it's a smouldering ruin and all the shopkeepers are probably dead. :(
>>
As a white guy, I'd like to visit Mexico without getting tortured and beheaded.
My fiance comes from a Mexican family and she'd like to take me to her grandmother's town one day.
>>
>>953869

Just go to Mexico faggot, you'll be fine
>>
>>953870
It's hardly touristy areas. I can't remember the name of the town but my fiance says I'd literally be the only white guy there
>>
>>953869
most of my family in mexico says that most of the crime is between criminals and people who are in the business. They say it's a little more dangerous down south though. My family is from Baja so take that into account as well.
>>
I guess my dangerous location doesnt really compare to any of these but I really wanted to visit Ukraine, im a little put off at the moment though for obvious reasons.

I know in the west of the country its relatively safe but still
>>
File: 1423681009759.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1423681009759.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
why do people want to travel to places where there is currently a conflict, even though the appeal of these areas sans the conflict is next to nil?
>>
>>953837
Am jelly. I haven't been there, and now it can take decades before it's possible to go there again.

At least I saw Ukraine shortly before it turned to shit.
>>
File: 145786875.jpg (10 KB, 400x220) Image search: [Google]
145786875.jpg
10 KB, 400x220
>tfw you will never live in the 50s/60s and be able to visit the beautiful and cultured North African and Middle Eastern countries that aren't destabilized and get you killed
>>
>>953880
>tfw Rhodesia doesnt exist anymore
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.