[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /trv/ I took this trip to get to Cali for an internship.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: trip.png (751 KB, 1280x589) Image search: [Google]
trip.png
751 KB, 1280x589
Hey /trv/ I took this trip to get to Cali for an internship. Ask me anything.

I did it solo and camped the entire way.

I can post pics if you dudes want.
>>
>>1136255
y tho
>>
>>1136263
Why what? I had never seen most of the country so I wanted to see all the different types of people and landscapes.
>>
Where did you camp, and was it free camp or paid? Why did you select this route? How horrible were the great plains? How many hours a day did you drive? What gear did you use? What did you eat?

My impression is you didn't plan the route based on cool shit, just the shortest road.
>>
Where did you camp in Nevada? Heading out there next month to camp the Humbolt-Toiyabe national forest.
>>
File: lake.jpg (270 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
lake.jpg
270 KB, 1280x720
>>1136338
I camped mostly at state recreation areas. Most were paid around 8-15 bucks.

I selected this route because it is the famous I80. Cool shit is really subjective I had a great time seeing places I had never seen.

The great plains are beautiful actually. On I80 there is no traffic so you can pull off, piss, and enjoy the view.

I drove about 6-8 hours per day.

My gear mostly consisted of a solitaire tent and various camping supplies. I drove a prius.

I ate usually snacks all day and one big meal at night. My meal was usually at a restaurant when close to one or cooked on my propane stove. I bought a kit of a 3 day family pack dehydrated food. I also bought fruit along the way.

>>1136341
Nevada was my favorite camping spot actually. Lahontan State Recreation Area, I camped right on the beach of the lake, no one else there. Had to jumpstart some peoples car at midnight and we got blasted off a bottle of their cheap gin because I helped them. Pic related is my site at the lake. I actually camped on the non-camping side, but I warned the ranger of some black widows in a garbage can and help the guy whos car was stuck so they didn't care.

Sorry for the long post!
>>
File: justfuckitupfam.jpg (19 KB, 217x320) Image search: [Google]
justfuckitupfam.jpg
19 KB, 217x320
>>1136255
You were able to get some work from all the way across the country and I can't even get a minimum wage job here.
>>
>>1136348

Looks comfy. I'm regretting now that I flew on my long distance move rather than drive. My original plan was to do what you did but with more wandering. Then again my car was a piece of shit that may well have died on the way.

How much did it cost you altogether roundtrip?
>>
>>1136352
I am only working for minimum wage at an engineering firm. I got an offer for $26.50 but I had already accepted this offer. I currently live in CA with room and food paid for by my boss but I only get 10 per hour.

>>1136354
It was the best decision I ever made to drive, that way I have a car when I am here in CA. I got to go to Yosemite and live with some monks for a bit in the redwoods, pretty sweet couldn't have done it if I flew.

I'd guess $300-$400 but maybe a little less. One day I stayed in a cabin before I took a long drive so that was like $30 for one night.
>>
>>1136255
Interesting, could you post some pics OP ? Of whatever, I'm not American so even the great plains are exotic to me
>>
>>1136255
What winery are you working for?
>>
>>1136255
There's nothing that gives you away as a tourist faster than saying "cali". Nobody here says it.
>>
>>1136645
Well Californians are is pretty big tools so I don't really care what the people think...

Also I am a tourist technically, not really since I have been her for almost three months but whatever.

>>1136642
I am working as an engineer not at a winery. I am not a big wine person, but the Cali people won't shut the fuck up about their wine even if you don't care.
>>
>>1136652
>implying New Yorkers aren't the loudest, pushiest assholes in a country full of loud, pushy assholes.
>>
File: 0.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>1136652
but i'm sure you never say a word about new york pizza, right faggot?
>>
>>1136656
This is true, but they also always have each other's backs in times of hardship or bad situations.

>>1136662
It's okay but I don't talk about it for hours on end. I had to sit with my bosses faggot friend for like 3 hours while he told me how much money he spends on wine and how he had to rent a second house to store it all.
>>
>>1136722
Confusing a nouveau rich prick for the average Californian.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.