[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 700x394
Hallo anons, Deutschbros and anyone that has any good suggestions.
I'm going to be traveling to Kiel this winter for a couple of weeks for Christmas and New Years. Any recommendations on cool stuff to do around the city and overall state of Schleswig-Holstein? Any cool city's/towns I should check out and must do's whilst in these places?
>>
File: lichterwelt-oertrave-luebeck.jpg (1 MB, 4592x3056) Image search: [Google]
lichterwelt-oertrave-luebeck.jpg
1 MB, 4592x3056
go to Lübeck, there is also a great Christmas market
>>
I lived in Kiel for like 4 years, to study. Here are my tips.

>Don't go to Gaarden, it's dangerous, like stabbed in daylight dangerous.
>The City is really boring if it's not Kieler Woche and like the other anon said the Christmas Market in Lübeck is much better.
>go on a walk in Strande, not Laboe overrated as fuck. Except you want to visit a submarine.
>The Schleswig-Holsteinisches Freilichtmuseum is worth a visit imo. If you want to see some old Ethnostuff.
>Never ever go to the Tucholsky-Club, everything is sticky, the Bouncer steal and are aggressive.
>I've lived near the Tiergehege Tannenberg if it's snowy this place is very comfy, from there you can walk to a small ferry over the Kiel-Channel.
>It's free and you get to see big ships if you go to the end of the channel on the North Side.
>There you must visit the Schiffercafé in Kiel-Holtenau it's near a wonderful little Lighthouse.
>Near that Cafe the MFG 5 some old helicopterairport.

Thats pretty much everything worth in Kiel
>>
>>1134850
>>1135068
OP here, thanks for the advice anons. I'm gonna be going to Lübeck for sure also. Is it worth the drive to go to out of state to some place like Bremen, Hamburg or Berlin?
>>
>>1135818
Winter is not the best season but cities like Hamburg and Berlin are always worth a visit.

buses are cheap and run frequently so spending a day in Hamburg would be easy.
https://www.flixbus.com/bus-routes/bus-hamburg-kiel
>>
>>1135818
Cities are one thing but if you like smaller towns then Cuxhaven in Lower Saxony might be worth a trip. It's a nice small Beach side city. I wanted to visited it but I didn't have enough time to
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 600x400
>>1135834
>cuxhaven kek
Also, I'd like to stay in the north but any city in Bayern besides München looks very comfy and enticing. Especially Nürnberg.
>>
Cuxhaven is actually in the north. Lower Saxony is just a misleading title. It's only a little ways West of Hamburg
>>
File: big_20609045_0_600-360.jpg (71 KB, 600x360) Image search: [Google]
big_20609045_0_600-360.jpg
71 KB, 600x360
Kielguy here, would definitely go to something bigger, too. Flensburg is unfortunately liike Kiel and Lübeck mixed and smaller. In SH is also a Viking Museum Haithabu (if you like smaller History stuff) in Schleswig (City) also a big castle which is also very nice and not so much away from Kiel.
And lastly pic related the Holsteinische Schweiz. A bigger Lake region and if (big if) it's snowy, very comfy.

Since I was born in Berlin, it's a very good idea to visit it while it's cold. Much much less tourists, except on New Years Eve obviously and then it's not fun but then it's mostly Germans visiting the city. From the 29 Dez till the first of Jan all the old poeply get there ptsd Flashbacks from '45 from all the fireworks. So you may also go to Hamburg around this time.

OP, may you tell us a little bit more what you want to see or where you from?
>>
>>1135878
OP here. I'd like to just take in the sights and culture, eat good food, drink a lot of good beer, talk to some qt Deutsch fräuleins. I also like the Altstadt kind of places you know to see all the cool buildings/cathedrals. I'm from California also btw. I
>>
File: Sint_Lüneburg.jpg (959 KB, 1626x586) Image search: [Google]
Sint_Lüneburg.jpg
959 KB, 1626x586
>>1135924
So OP, then northern Germany is a good Placee for all of that. As for cathedrals there aren't as many as you might like, but in Hamburg are like 4 of the highest churches here and the Hafenviertel is also really cool. From the Hamburger Michel you have a really great View. The Hagenbeck Tierpark (Zoo) is also worth a visit.
As for Altstädte, Lüneburg (near Hamburg) is for me the best one North of Berlin. Pic related.
>>
>>1136057
Thanks. As far as Bayern goes, is it worth the drive or train ride? I'd like to go but is it overrated or worth it?
>>
File: Rundgang-Quedlinburg-11.jpg (144 KB, 834x558) Image search: [Google]
Rundgang-Quedlinburg-11.jpg
144 KB, 834x558
>>1136647
IMO the time you would drive there, could be better used. It's pretty Munich-centralized and therefore not as interesting as other parts of our country. Sure, you could make a visit in the original Hofbräuhaus and Schloss Neuschwanstein, but you could also go to the Hofbräuhaus in Berlin, with pretty much the same Atmosphere. Neuschwanstein for example is also disgustingly overcrowded. And Munich as a City is also pretty underwhelming.

If you want to see Mountains, then the Harz is wonderful. Especially with smaller Cities like Quedlinburg (pic related). But it may be irritating that there are also many parts in these Towns from before 1989, very poor GDR architecture.
>>
File: 11.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
Not OP, but I have a question for any Germans on here. I'm going to Germany from December to early January. How often does it snow in this period, particularly in southern German and the Bavarian alps? Also, is the snow usually like you always see in the photos, such as pic related, or is this kind of snowfall very rare and unlikely to see while visiting?
>>
>>1137868
Kielguy here, perfect time and place for heavy snowfall. In the most years you have at least this. Around christmas it is most of the time snowfree, but in January the temperature mostly falls under 0°C often to -10°C.
>>
>>1137868
It varies. You can never say for sure. But your chance of snow is close to 100%. Even if winter is for some reason extremely warm. You can always visit Germany's highest peak Zugspitze. There you will get snow and Arctic temperatures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-AIK4igpv0
http://zugspitze.de/en/winter
>>
>>1138053
>>1138073
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for.
>>
>>1138073
>zoogspeez

its pronounced tsoog-shpits-eh if anyone cares
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.