[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
best carribean island?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: Martinique_Article1.jpg (89 KB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
Martinique_Article1.jpg
89 KB, 650x433
so i would really like to visit a Carribean island this year but really do not know much about the region

what is the safest, most beautiful, and cheapest country?

I was looking at the virgin islands and the dominican republic because they are so cheap but after doing some research I am hesitant because apparently they have ridiculously high crime rates

Now I am considering Aruba, Turks and Caicos, and Martinique

what do you guys think? also what would be my best lodging option? airbnb looks pretty nice
>>
>>1134646
I've only been to the Dutch ABC islands. They were nice. Very touristy, of course, but orderly and calm. Mind you, this was 7 years ago, so things might have changed.
>>
>>1134657
from what I have seen they are the safest besides martinique

I was going to book a hostel in the DR but the capital city is literally more dangerous than the ghettos of chicago
>>
>>1134660
Eh, a friend of mine went there after a break-up to basically have sex with brown girls for a while. It very, very highly depends on which neighbourhood you go to. The touristy quarters close to the beach are alright.
>>
>>1134657
this, Aruba and Curacao are your best bets, even Bonaire is good for a short trip
>>
>>1134646

Martinique and Guadaloupe are safe, being French territories and all. Down in the south Trinidad and Tobago is amazing, but not the safest place. Just a bit north, St Vincent and Grenadines is alright, easygoing, don't know about prices though. Then there's St Martin, which might be a bit more expensive, but I think it's comfy as hell, with all the french patisseries.
>>
>>1134646

>safest
>cheapest
Cuba hands down, easily

>most beautiful
I doubt someone here visited all the islands, but simply by looking at pictures/videos, Nassau looks stunning
>>
>>1134646
>what is the safest,
Grand Cayman
>most beautiful, and
this is hard...because your island dream of "best" might be disappointed if the beach is a glorious clear swimming pool, but BUT the island is a flat arid desert versus lush tropical oasis with mountain rain forests, and has zero night life you saw in the movie Kokomo, limited food options that isn't crap, and no cool waterfalls and cultural hikes. Maybe you like SCUBA and willing to pay for it, or a catamaran cruise, or just want accessible snorkeling reefs that don't require a boat to get to but right behind your hotel. Do you want to pay $$$ to get somewhere that doesn't have an airport? Think about what mix of qualities means something to you.
>cheapest country?
If you consider this a trick question, you'll realize that central america and south america have lovely coastal port towns that give you a Caribbean island feel but don't have to import all their food by air or boats, goods are cheaper, jobs exist and you can simply pretend you are on an island. Think Belize or off season Yucatan with safety issues. Might really find a great coastal vacation with great safety in Costa Rica, rainforest walk, all of it. If money is your highest concern, consider a great deal on a cruise as your cheapest option, overall, because you get very competitive airfare to Miami/FTL (not so much to PR), and skip higher priced local hotels both.

My top pick hitting everything except lush nature is the turtle farm + stingray city + snorkel 7 mile beach, and dine where the locals eat in Grand Cayman. You could squeeze all of that in during a single stop on Royal Caribbean too if you rushed around. You could also simply go to the Florida Keys and take in some great reefs too.
>>
>>1135018
>>most beautiful
>I doubt someone here visited all the islands, but simply by looking at pictures/videos, Nassau looks stunning
As an airline employee and sailor both, I have been to nearly all of the major spots in the Caribbean.
Nassau is neither the loveliest place and is really a has been since Atlantis gutted the tourist economy away from the usual supported businesses, so you're seeing a 20 year decline there. It's ridiculously, critically unsafe for tourists and locals both, as well. It might be the highest violent crime in the entire Caribbean now. There are places within the Bahamas that simply have more expats than locals, and little crime, but you'll need a wallet to get to them and stay well.

Cuba safety isn't a concern, I agree, nor is it ever really violent, just petty/con theft issues, but for Americans the real danger is still the relatively permanent nature of being imprisoned if you get in trouble, which can be for any reason like being a passenger in a car accident or looking anti-government. There simply is no rescue yet. It would help if you have the available funds and political connections to get out of trouble.
>>
yeah I looked at the dominican republic and it is apparently more dangeous than even haiti, like 50 murders per 100,000 citizens

what the fuck!
>>
>>1135020
Seconding Grand Cayman
>>
I'm actually from the Caribbean. Really most islands are safe, once you stay around the "tourist areas" you'll be fine. Except Hati, Dominican Republic and maybe Jamaica.

Like these guys said, the French territories are good bets. But it really depends on what you are looking for.
Each island is unique and should be looked into to see if it's to your taste. Plus there are a lot of English speaking countries too, that could be a plus if you don't know French or Spanish.

You should also look into what country is celebrating Carnival around the dates you are planning to travel on since Caribbean carnivals are "usually" more tamed and safer than Brazil's
>>
Aruban here. It's a really awesome island, and there are plenty of pretty places that are semi 'off the beaten path'. It's also safe as long as you use your brain and common sense. No idea about hotels, and restaurants are probably around the same prices as other touristy Caribbean places, but there are loads of supermarkets where Dutch and American stuff are sold, so you can cook on your own if your hotel has the equipment.
If anyone has any questions about sights/places to see, ask away.
>>
I live in Florida, is it cheaper than flying and getting a hotel in Puerto Rico to take a cruise that docks there for a few days? I'm not really into cruises but I'm not opposed to gambling, free food, and sunsets over the open water.
>>
Consider Curacao, also run by the Dutch, so low crime & things are run fairly orderly, plus there's heaps of euro pussy running around in bikinis.
>>
Canadian bro here, thinkin about doing some travelling with the gf. We are between an all inclusive trip (her) or hostle hopping (me).

Caribbean islands is one possibility.

Monitoring thread, already looking at safety stuff, but what would you guys recommend for a 2-4k canadian dollar budget (each)?

Additional info: I have some travel experience (school trips to Europe and Australia, all inclusive variety, want to try something more adventurous)

She has little travel experience

Interests are outdoor, both like swimming, drinking on a beach would be cool, probably not something really extreme.
Clubbing would be fun

For the most part it's likely going to be relaxing/casual.

Time frame would be probably 2 weeks to a month for hostle, 1 week for all inclusive

Sorry if I'm missing any info, I'm not on this board much. Will answer any questions if you guys need more info. Thanks buds
>>
>>1137054
>interests are outdoors
What, like woods and stuff? Cuz Aruba has quite some nice hikes and walking routes, but they're all through dry terrain with mostly cacti and stuff.
On my phone and can't post pics, but look up 'Arikok Park Aruba'.
>>
>>1134660

Dominican here.

This country has gone insane.
People used to be so happy and laid back, now we are all on razor's edge, everyone is so angry and aggressive, it is worse than it has ever been, the violence.

For your own safety, I plead with you not to come here.

No one is safe, the law and judicial system is a joke.

We are on our way to becoming a failed state.

It breaks my heart to say these things.
>>
>>1137054
Costa Rica and Panama have good nature. Here is a pro tip for exploring activitiesat all the places. Go to the Carnival cruise website, go to explore destinations or excursions (can't remember off the top of my head) and look at all of the excursions for each place to get an idea of the recreation on the different islands.
>>
>>1137161
>>1137080
Thanks you guys, looking into it. Appreciate it
>>
Dominica?
>>
>>1137086
if srs

what changed? my bet friend is dominican and he said its okay but still a shithole. desu i lwys had trouble imagining a single black coutry that wasnt destroyed by violence. it seems to be in their blood. not a single place in the world are they peaceful.

what caused them to revert to the mean?
>>
>>1137161
>>1137272
>>1137054
https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions
>>
File: IMG_0422.jpg (3 MB, 2592x3888) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0422.jpg
3 MB, 2592x3888
Dutch guy here, would recommend Guadeloupe. Pay with euros, not completely fucked up by tourism and very low crime rates.

There is one gigantic tourist beach with tourist traps. The rest is like pic related...

One giant bonus, this island has a lush rainforest too!
>>
>>1138824

Can provide more pics if anyone is interested...
>>
>>1138825
yes
>>
File: IMG_0368.jpg (5 MB, 2592x3888) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0368.jpg
5 MB, 2592x3888
>>1138858

16°10'33.0"N 61°41'35.5"W
>>
File: IMG_0393.jpg (5 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0393.jpg
5 MB, 3888x2592
>>1138858

16°13'33.0"N 61°47'07.9"W
>>
>>1137285
Drugs and poverty,what else.
>>
File: _20160715_085542.jpg (137 KB, 720x716) Image search: [Google]
_20160715_085542.jpg
137 KB, 720x716
>>1134646
I've only been to Nevis and i thought it was incredible.

It's not easy to get to which i think makes it less touristy. You have to fly to St. Kitts, the sister island, and take a boat to Nevis.

I was able to rent a house on the side of a mountain with an incredible view of the sea for like $1200/week. Walkable to 3 outstanding beaches and a few restaurants. Monkeys everywhere, saw some cows break loose from their farm and run/jump in a field, some loosely organized horse races right on the ocean with hilariously rigged gambling and delicious local food, and many other fun things

Pic related, one of the beaches, sorry for shitstagram filters.
>>
>>1139043
I meant to mention, i always felt safe in Nevis. I rode in gypsy cabs full of locals for like 50 cents and they were always nice. I hung at a local club on new years eve and bought weed from a guy in the bathroom. I went to bars run by locals, talked with bartenders, did a lot of walking along a busy road, did all sorts of shit and never felt like anything bad would happen, though we were some of the only whites around.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.