[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what booze should i try in america? specifically texas i've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1.gif (100 KB, 540x348) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
100 KB, 540x348
what booze should i try in america?
specifically texas
i've heard theres lots of mezcal because of how close it is to mexico, how do i get into mezcal?
>>
>>1134261
Here's a quick lesson.
Bourbon is sour mash whiskey. Bourbon is the name of the region it is made in. If it's not made IN Bourbon, you cannot call it Bourbon. That's why Jack Daniels says "Tennessee Whiskey" on the label, even though it tastes identical to many kinds of Bourbon.
The same is true of Tequila. If it's not made IN Tequila, then it's mezcal.

How to get some? Go to a big liquor store. There's some good mezcal out there, but there's a lot of good tequila out there too.

Disclaimer: This is just a general explanation. I'm not super familiar with mezcal, but the ones I've tried pretty much tasted like tequila.
>>
>>1134261
I live in Austin. Yes, there's lots of tequila and mezcal because of our proximity to Mexico. My experience has been craft beer. There's a lot of it here. Some of it is good. Most of it is not.
>>
>>1134370
anything specific you could reccomend?
>>1134365
i'm not a big tequila fan but it might be because the sort of tequila you get here comes in bottles with little sombreros, i figure there must be something to it if its so popular so i'm willing to give it a go
>>
>>1134365
Here's another quick lesson: this guy is full of shit.

Bourbon can be produced anywhere and only has a handful of rules to classify it as bourbon none of which have anything to do with being produced in Bourbon County, KY. Several bourbons aren't in fact: Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey, Town Branch, etc. And anyone saying bourbon and Jack Daniels are the same has had neither.

Tequila also has nothing to do with a fictional city of Tequila. Tequila is made with a specific regional agave. That's it.

As far as liquor in Texas? I don't know of a big distilling scene there. I'm sure you could find some import mescal there.
>>
>>1134365
>>1134421
[citations needed]
>>
I hear someone promoting Johnnie Walker Blue Label all the time
>>
>>1134421

There IS a place called tequila, and the guy is right about the regional thing but its not exclusive to tequila, many areas in Mexico can produce agave liquor and call it tequila.

Source: Actually visited a Jose Cuervo Factory in Tequila and got some facts about tequila in general.
>>
>>1134421
Sorry senpai that dude was right, bourbon has to be from bourbon county
Anyways try Tito's handmade vodka OP, I believe it's only in central TX
>>
>>1134421
Sorry but for you calling tequila it´s has to be made in Tequila Jalisco, otherwise is "agave liquor" or something like that, it´s branded (in spanish is denominación de origen) so yeah, for OP, in my experience mezcal it´s better than tequila, doesn´t give you hangover and it´s cheaper (go for something crystal clear, more than 45% of alcohol, no maggot, and personally made from tobala agave)
>>
>>1134394
Get tequila that specifically says "100% agave" on the label. There's 3 major kinds: blanco, reposado, and anejo. Blanco is not aged and generally has the least flavor, but some people like it subtle. Reposado is aged for a minimum of two months, and it's generally my favorite. Anejo is aged for a year, and it has a very deep flavor.

Personally, I think tequila is a more interesting spirit than Bourbon, but that's just me.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.