[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
china maymay life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: money_and_god.jpg (57 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
money_and_god.jpg
57 KB, 500x335
>mfw earning 16000 RMB in china
>mfw I'm not a native speaker
>mfw I'm not even that white
>mfw I'm work legally with a Z visum
>mfw living the maymay l4fe

ask me anything
>>
>>1132746

16000 RMB is chump change.

>ask me anything

Why do you think anyone (a) cares and (b) would be impressed by such a pittance?
>>
Ah, I miss the meme life and how it triggers fat white girls and most Asian boys.

>wake up a bit before first class, whenever that is
>fruit juice for hangover, walk to school
>play hangman with the kids, get them to shout some vocabulary
>lunch at a restautant
>texting lots of different girls
>back at school maybe have to chat to some teenagers about sports in the afternoon
>dat one colleague is banging those college girls but I'm a good guy and have a rule about that
>troll some people on the interwebs for a bit
>dinner in a restaurant with the lads
>bars with the lads
>if no girls in the bars, keep texting others until they start showing up
>save money every month because everything is so damn cheap

>repeat

I miss it, to be honest.
>>
What part of China was that? Do you know about Taiwan?
>>
>>1132746
Where are you based, and how did you get the job?
>>
>>1132746
I'm thinking about doing it man. I don't want to go to China but poverty is casting too much pressure on me and everywhere else seems either worse in pay and quality of life or too difficult to get into with only a year experience. Where in China would you recommend for someone who cannot tolerate pollution; can a bohemian environment be found?
>>
>>1132906

why did you leave?
>>
Nice try, Vlad, but non-natives never make more than 10,000 rmb.

what Eastern European shithole did you crawl out of?
>>
>>1133330
Only did it for about a year. I loved it but I guess I just wanted to make more money. Stayed in Asia for a few more years though so I was still sort-of living the meme life, had friends who were ESL guys etc...

>>1133353
Rude
>>
How did you start your meme China life?
>>
File: rpc1.jpg (311 KB, 923x1600) Image search: [Google]
rpc1.jpg
311 KB, 923x1600
Really makes you think.

Can one be truly happy living the meme life in Asia (be it China, Japan, Korea or SEA)?

While my career prospects look promising (Computer Science/Engineering) I cringe at the thought of working 40-60 hour weeks in an office for many years to come, retiring at 65 and all that shit.

Anyone here with experience working a international high-paying job while still living the meme life?
>>
The Chinese are a dishonest shitheaded people who will exploit you, break the rules, then shrug when you catch them
Do not do business there they are basically the niggers of asia
>>
>>1133389

Why'd you leave Asia and what country /Job did you go to after China?
>>
>>1133422
you'll be working longer shifts for worse pay in china, japan or korea. guaranteed. almost irrespective of field. banking is the one exception, if and only if you're coming from a top ten.

I'm not telling you not to do it. but if you're a nerd like in pic related (I agree with the comic) you're not going to necessarily be happier in asia. just a warning.

>>1133429
they mostly act like that to foreigners. japanese do it to foreigners too.

if you try to do business in a foreign culture without speaking that language and understanding the culture you practically deserve to be treated like dirt.

are you one of those idiots who think domestic firms don't exploit contract loopholes or labor? are you THAT stupid?
>>
>>1133422
>retiring at 65
Hah! You wish.
>>
>>1132746
what do you do?
>>
>>1133565
>but if you're a nerd like in pic related
Nah, quite the opposite. I just want to act throughout life in such a way that I don't end up like one of the nerds.

I suppose you're right about work hours. But even working for international (read: western) companies with positions in China?

>>1133605
>>retiring at 65
>Hah! You wish.
Trust me, I'm gonna work hard to make sure I retire way earlier than that. Life should be more than sitting in an office 9-5.
>>
File: china.png (946 KB, 1400x5552) Image search: [Google]
china.png
946 KB, 1400x5552
>>1133393
>get a TEFL
>get lucky and have a Chinese employer who doesn't treat you like shit

First part is easy. Second, not so much.

>>1133565
>they mostly act like that to foreigners.

They do it to everyone. If it's not their
>ruler
>relative
>friend
Then Confucius says they're fair game.
>>
>>1133549
International schools, teaching degree subject instead of ESL. It's actually quite easy to make the transition from memelife to that. You've probably learned your classroom personality and how to break the ice with a new group of kids and get them to like you. A couple of years at an "experimental school" that hires ESL guys and after that you're quite employable.

There are lots of other options open and I know former memelife people who are factory managers, business owners, journalists and various kinds of consultant now. If you wanna do that shit, you have to make friends with locals and should probably learn the language a bit... but once you know what you're doing with international schools the money goes up quite fast and I was enjoying the work so I just stuck with it.

Teach at a fancy pants private school in the US now.
>>
>>1133913
thanks man, this sounds like an excellent path. does it matter where a person starts? as in, does it make a difference if i teach for 2 years in a <tier 2 place or is better to start in a big city?
>>
>>1132746

Nice try OP, find a native GF and marry her and her rich family.

>Mfw dating QT mainland girl
>Mfw I'm Mexican
>Mfw her dad is CEO of a Henan energy company
>Mfw got me a job as accountant 4 years ago
>Mfw making 50K RMB a month
>Mfw I'll be a CFO making 2 million RMB a year

Feelsgoodman.jpg

Her father is an amazing guy though. He grew up poor in Uruumqi and went to Peking U. Can't wait to put a ring on it for her 25th.
>>
File: Gun_Backfire.gif (28 KB, 400x321) Image search: [Google]
Gun_Backfire.gif
28 KB, 400x321
Hmm... this remember me the cover of a magazine I saw some years ago, announcing an article

> "Go Work in China but DO NOT Expect Companies Being Eager to Hire You As You Return"
>>
>>1133941
I would say that it makes almost no difference where you are.

Specifically the path is:

1. memelife > 6 months

2.Chinese-owned "experimental" school that teaches international courses (IB, IGCSE etc) to Chinese kids. Many of these are a bit crooked and they're looking for cheap teachers. They will hire ESL people with a degree in, say, biology but no teaching qualification or biology teaching experience as a biology teacher. They advertise on Daves Cafe among other places.
This is where you learn a syllabus and how to actually teach (i.e. homework, writing tests, etc)
>2 years

3. International School that actually has (at least some) international kids
This is the hard bit.
It's much easier if you teach STEM. It is often helpful to do an online teaching course to show you're serious about teaching (e.g. a PGCE) but it's not absolutely necessary. Some of your less pleasant colleagues may raise questions about your abilities as you haven't taught back home (and also maybe partly out of jealousy as you are probably far more comfortable in China by this point than they are). Make sure you don't fuck up and they will respect you.

This is a great way to live by the way... so don't leave until you're fed up of China.

4. Private Schools in the West
Interesting fact: lots of Chinese kids are appearing at these schools. The schools take them because they pay maximum fees, often need to stay with local host families (more money for the school community) and generally keep their heads down and stay out of trouble. Easy. But lots of career teachers in the West have no idea how to deal with the ones who are awkward weirdos (i.e. the majority of them). Therefore, if you have "China experience", then your years in Asia are actually a huge advantage as you will know how to get along with these kids better than your colleagues and can often help colleagues understand what's going in on their heads.
>>
>>1133976
Absolutely contrary to my experience and that of many of my friends.

The Chinese super rich are splurging right now. If you work in real estate or finance, there are lots of Chinese customers - so familiarity with the Chinese is advantageous. They're part of a building boom, so familiarity with them is also potentially useful in construction. Luxury goods of all sorts now value China experience, including private education (from little kids through to university). All of this is driving interest in the country so there are opportunities in journalism. And, as Chinese firms attempt to make money in the West beyond just selling cheap shit to Target and Walmart, China experience is handy in the PR industry. So, the magazine article is just flat wrong.

Unless, of course, you become a 300lb alcoholic manchild who has worked 15 hour weeks for the past 8 years of his life, instinctively complains about everything and has made no effort to learn a language or better himself while in Asia. In that case, yes, you're better off staying there.
>>
>>1132746
>>1132746
what re you doing for work?
>>
>>1132746
>z visa

Boris, please. You did not get a Z visa coming from Yugoslavia and with two months' experience working on the goat farm.
>>
>>1133768

Wow. That image made me hate China.
>>
>>1133946
>25th

Do people still marry for money?
>>
>>1133768
As a french, that hospital part made me rage hard
>>
>>1133768
This is so familiar to my own experience in China. I'm in the same boat: speak Mandarin and have to deal with the Chinese every day back in the West but at least in my profession, we have what they want and they have zero leverage. So the worst you have to put up with is their casual rudeness (which I never let them get away with so that they learn they can't do that with me).

That post only mentions one of the plus sides of living in China as a Mandarin speaker - making a lot of money. The other side is that if you're cool, even as an ESL teacher you can live like a fucking rock star. And if you make decent money then you don't even have to be cool. I look back at younger me and can't believe it's the same person. My social life was like a rich frat boy asshole at college.
>>
>>1135235
I'd say, globally, most do. to an extent
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.