[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else here carry knives and/or pistols with them when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: CS80FT.jpg (41 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
CS80FT.jpg
41 KB, 500x500
Does anyone else here carry knives and/or pistols with them when traveling, especially through less-than-safe places?

I'm a keen photographer and have sold several photos for travel journals and websites for a decent amount of cash (usually just enough to cover my traveling expenses) so I carry about $10,000 to $15,000 worth camera gear and accessories. I know my life isn't worth the gear, but I'd rather protect myself and the gear than go through years worth of bureaucracy of insurance claims (which I pay extra for anyway).

I'm also a keen target shooter and hunter so I can get the legal importation documents for my pistol and ammunition (CZ-75 Compact 9mm) and knife (pic related), though in some some countries I've been forced to a less-than-legal/sneaky process of arming myself.
>>
>>1132011
Let's spray blood and hate around YEEEEEHAAAAWWWW

Hopefully they will know better than you how to use it and then you will die <3
>>
>>1132323
You sound mentally ill.
>>
>>1132011
Are you talking internationally? If so, how the fuck would you get a gun in another country.

If you're a burger, check concealed carry reciprocity.
>>
you'd rather pop someone than lose a camera?
>>
>>1132011
Also anon, you can't bring your favorite pistol to the unknown because of ITAR. Import documents would be a hassle. Please don't become the next "Photographer Kills Local Man Over Dispute". If you want to protect yourself, get a bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. Big boy rules, don't make yourself a target.

You can buy pistols in places like the Philippines/Thailand, but anywhere else seems like more hassle/risk than it is worth.

>People don't wear baseball caps outside of the US
>No photographer cargo pants
>Keep your head down and don't always survey for shots
simple shit

Also, where the fuck are you going??
>>
>>1132011
Couldn't you just hire a local bodyguard?

It would be more effective than pulling a penknife on a thug who'd kill you for a tenth of what your goods are worth.

And no country allows foreigners to walk around with guns. You'd need to be a resident at least.

Also, I'm curious. How did you start making money as a photographer?
>>
>>1133308
what, you would be torn with guilt for not accepting to be a victim?

i would not shoot a small kid unless hes got a gun which isnt all so rare in Rio traffic gangs for instance

and i would not shoot someone in my yard if they are caught trying to steal something

but if someone is already attacking you, will you wait to find out if they are just an unnarmed famished poor fella?

famished people steal unwatched things, we must always assume robbers are dangerous people with a career of unsolved murders, i have no pity when newspapers shows robbers that made bad decisions and got mob justice, they are shown as underdogs in media, but they are hawk..vultures, they didnt pity any of their possible victims that were never found.
>>
>>1133308
If not for the legal ramifications wouldn't you?
>>
In any "less than safe places" a gun will make you less safe not more, by a decent margin. That gang of thugs who would just have held you up and stolen your bag will just shoot you dead instead if they see you're armed, without even thinking about it.
>>
Firm supporter of 2nd amendment here,
Something I've learned in life is if you carry a weapon around for self-defense, it makes you feel unsafe. Just like if you get in the habit of locking your door, you start to think your neighborhood is unsafe. You're inflicting all this on yourself.
Use common sense and your shit won't get stolen. I don't know what kind of person has so few cojones he isn't comfy abroad unless he's packing.
>>
File: 18vwj559nm8otjpg.jpg (8 KB, 199x270) Image search: [Google]
18vwj559nm8otjpg.jpg
8 KB, 199x270
>>1132011

>I'm also a keen target shooter and hunter so I can get the legal importation documents for my pistol and ammunition (CZ-75 Compact 9mm) and knife (pic related), though in some some countries I've been forced to a less-than-legal/sneaky process of arming myself.

Pro 2a here but my fake-and-gay meter is concerned about these statements. You should elaborate because I don't really see most countries letting you enter with an autoloading pistol under any hunting exemptions/allowances, at least not without a rifle as well. Do expand on the finding sketchy ways as well.
>>
>>1133308
i'd do it every day of the week, are you an idiot?

>>1133481
of course it's fake, what country lets some jackass bring a gun for any reason?
>>
>>1133483

>of course it's fake, what country lets some jackass bring a gun for any reason?

I was hoping to draw him out a bit more. Though some countries with popular game do allow (with a shit ton of paperwork mind you) hunting type weapons such as bolt-action rifles to be brought by hunters willing to pay out the ass to bring their own firearm instead of simply doing a fraction of the paperwork and use one of the hunting guide's/organization's weapons. Mostly done by absolutely rich exotic game hunting fanatics and such. However bringing a semi-auto pistol in a non-hunting calibre into any county is absolutely absurd so I kinda wanted to see him squirm on that.
>>
>>1133308
yes
>>
>>1133310
>don't practice your hobbies OP, criminals have precedence. Also don't ever think about defending yourself. Big boy rules
>>
>>1133493
You'll figure it out once you leave the cradle.
>>
>>1133483
>what country lets some jackass bring a gun for any reason?

Some do for sport, they make money off of hunters.

And some don't let you bring a knife.

Assuming all countries have the same laws is a great way to fuck up your trip. (Not aiming that last at you, just a general observation.)
>>
>>1133622
It would be weird to rob someone with an elephant gun, a knife might be easier.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.