[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Three Days In Rome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: rome.jpg (80 KB, 674x446) Image search: [Google]
rome.jpg
80 KB, 674x446
Going solo to Rome for a few days. Never travelled before.
Planning on going to see the Colloseum, and some of the other popular tourist haunts.
Any wise words of wisdom before I leave?
>>
Get the Romapass beforehand. It'll save you a shitload of time waiting in line.
Ignore any and all hindus/muslims/Africans offering you cheaper tickets/quicker lines/secret spots/roses/touristy bullshit
Do go to Vatican City. St. Peter's Basilica will probably have a huge line (1 hour+ when I was there), but you can cut in pretty easily if you're subtle about it. Check if the Pope will be giving a speech or mass in St. Peter's Square. Really really impressive even if you're not religious.
Trevi Fountain is pretty nice, but really busy.
Roman Forum is nice if you're into history and stuff.
Just walking around the city is pretty nice too. The park around Medici Villa is pretty, but beware of people pestering you with roses and other bullshit. They can be persistent.
>>
>>1130448
Remember to check out Basilica Saint Clemente - it was not crowded when I was there, and you get to experience 2000 years of history in one site.
>>
I just did this a couple of weeks ago.

I had three full days, which i diced up accordingly:

Day 1) 'ancient Rome'. Got into the Colosseum queue at 8, but if you're not an eager beaver or an early riser, i recommend the forum 'hack'. This is when you first buy a ticket and get into the forum (small queues), which is also valid and a queue jump for the Colosseum.

The Colosseum was better than expected. It's friggin huge. The forum was worse than expected. I simply loitered near tour guides to hear info on any ruins that caught my eye.

Later that day I went to Trevi fountain - Without sounding too pretentious, it's beautiful. A really impressive piece of art. I would recommend checking it out during both night and day.

Day 2: The Vatican. It's a cool place. The main cathedral is like the grand canyon. By that I mean it's so big it;s hard to take in all at one time. Buy your ticket online and first head straight to the Vatican museums. Depending on how much you enjoy art will dictate how long you kill in there. But you'll see the Sistine chapel - one of them stand and look for a few minutes moment, nothing more. I would recommend paying to go to the top of the Basilica (6 euros). Don't be a pussy, the lift saves you like 200 steps.

Day 3) Pompeii. For about 40-50 euros, you can get a highspeed train which takes approx: 1:10 to get to Naples, which is about 30 mins on a crappy train from Pompeii. Go. I'm yet to meet someone who says Pompeii wasn't worth their time. It's an incredible place to get lost and just check out and explore. So much high grade history in high grade condition.

Some other notes: It's very touristy, more so than any place i've ever checked out before. Selfie stick merchants and scam artists lurk around every corner trying to sell you cheap tat. It's annoying.

The food is incredible. The only bad meal i had was in Pompeii. The rest is imo really good (and i'm not that into 'good food').

It's a pretty easy city to navigate.(1/2)
>>
>>1130486
'The Yellow' is a hostel i'd give a good recommendation for. Cheap, good location and an ideal place to meet people who you may wanna hang out with during either the day or night.

It wasn't that expensive. Most meals came in around 15-20 euros, all the tourist places you pay to get in are around 10 euros.

You should have fun. I know I did.
>>
>>1130487
did you chat with the dutch group of students in the hotel at the corner
>>
go to come il latte for excellent gelato
>>
>>1131772
(it's a bit out of the way but you should go to the borghese gallery anyway, if you're into art)
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.