[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to Israel for two weeks. No religious reason,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
File: haredi-protest40.jpg (27 KB, 369x252) Image search: [Google]
haredi-protest40.jpg
27 KB, 369x252
I'm going to Israel for two weeks. No religious reason, just want to visit because why not.

Tel Aviv - Jeruzalem - Haiva (+ more?)

Any tips on where to go, what (not) to do?
Any behavioral tips?
Tips in general are apprecciated
>>
>>1130175
I did the same and had a blast. I'm not religious but I'm into history and anthropology. I would change haifa for Akko though. I visited the Nimrod fortress in the golan heights and was pretty cool and empty.
>>
>>1130179
>Nimrod
That's in Iraq, if you went there you got your ass blown up.
>>
>>1130179
>I'm not religious but I'm into history and anthropology.
Same here

>I would change haifa for Akko though. I visited the Nimrod fortress in the golan heights and was pretty cool and empty.

Why akko over haifa?
What kind of trip is nimrod? Hike adventure or just nature?
>>
>>1130175
Acre, Acre, Acre. Don't miss it if you're in Haifa anyway. It's right next door and it's a lovely town with a lot of history, interesting sights and a really sleepy atmosphere for a place that should by all means be a thriving tourist trap.
>>
>>1130186
Acre is the same as Akko?
Looks beautiful. hidden gem? Anything worth doing there except sight seeing and beach?
>>
>>1130201
for acre i'd recommend walking along the walls (looking through the wall you see really nice sea view), uri buri is a good fish restaurant, albeit a bit pricy. and if you are with a car i'd go to the rocky beaches of achziv afterwards.
>>
>>1130204
Thanks for the advice
I don't have a car or a lot of money but walking is free right
>>
>>1130220
OP here

Dunno but also want to know this
How is schnitzel israeli? I thought is was german or austrian or something. Anyway jewish religon has so much food restrictions so maybe that's why
>>
>>1130219
walking from acre to achziv is a bit difficult.
maybe consider a bus (or hitchhiking, although that could be tricky).
if you'd like, i may be up for going there with you.

>>1130220
>>1130223
the easy option is "fast food" which includes burger places that are a bit fancier.
this is not really israeli food (although some places offer israeli seasoned burgers and such) and it's usually not cheap (around 20$-30$).
more authentic (and cheaper) would be shawarma, falafel, or hummus.
if you are interested in sitting down to eat in a restaurant with authentic feel and cheap price, arab restaurants are pretty common, you can find many in the dreuse areas (near haifa there's isfiya and daliyat el carmel, and if you go further north there're a few more options).

while kosher food is a bit restrictive there are a lot of non-kosher options in israel.

regarding schnitzel, i like the israeli schnitzel but it's quite different from the german/austrian version.
>>
>>1130183
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimrod_Fortress

>>1130184
that guy said it >>1130186 it's just a small medieval old city a little bit less rushed than that of Jerusalem (don't get me wrong I loved the old city in Jerusalem, but that is different).

I went to the Nimrod Fortress in bus (two buses from Akko changing buses at Kyriat Shmona or something like that) and then there is a small path connecting the Fortress with Banias.

I just simply enjoyed Israel a lot, maybe one of the most enjoyable places I have been and I have been to a couple.
>>
File: 17.jpg (416 KB, 1829x1187) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
416 KB, 1829x1187
>>1130175
Eilat.
Swim in the Red Sea, see the awesome coral before its gone, visit Petra in Jordan while you're there.
>>
>>1130175
If you can turn a blind eye to the religious shit, politics shit and terrorism shit you'll have a blast in Israel. I've visited a bunch of countries in the middle east and Israel was my favourite.
Like a mix of Europe and USA in an oven.
>>
If you're there, might as well pop over to the West Bank to check it out. It's pretty easy to get to Ramallah from Jerusalem by bus. While in WB you should naturally visit Bethlehem just to say you have done your Jesus thing.

Border controls are next to nonexistent between Israel and West Bank, surprisingly enough. As a foreigner, you will most likely just be waved through.
>>
>>1130615
Do you have any idea how much it will cost to rent SCUBA equipment, and how much for training if you've never used it?

A lot!
>>
File: 1454812130971.jpg (35 KB, 723x252) Image search: [Google]
1454812130971.jpg
35 KB, 723x252
>>1130175
>going to Israel
>thinks tips are appreciated
Actually they prefer to remove the tips~
>>
>>1130175
what is the best sort of beer to buy in Beersheeva?
>>
>>1131147
The best beer bar none in the region is Taybeh. It's very good. It's also a Palestinian beer so it will be hard to find inside Israel, mainly due to butthurt.
>>
>>1130175
If you have a diving license, I would suggest going diving in Caesaria. They have submerged ruins there that I've been to and they're quite lovely. It's not too far from Tel Aviv, and if you're into diving you will definitely enjoy it.

As for tips, in Jerusalem, avoid the orthodox Jewish and Arabic side, as those places might get you in some trouble. The rest of the country is quite safe, Tel Aviv in particular is a blast. The most popular foreigner bar that I can think of is Mike's Place, which is by the America embassy, but if you want to take a bit of a risk and want to venture to a pub which will get you drunk off your fucking ass, and a place that I can guarantee you can find some drinking partners in, you should try Tepale. You'll be hard pressed to find it in any trip guides but I love it and if you sit by the bar you're guaranteed a shit load of free booze, particularly if you make conversation with the bartender.

Another recommendation, in around that area too is a place called Vitrina. That place has, without a doubt, the best cheeseburger in Israel, it's really world class, get the fries too. It's absolutely divine, I guarantee you will love it. Just be sure to go there in the early evening, because after around 7 PM the place gets packed.

I'd also recommend going to Rothschild Boulevard. It's a lovely street with quite a lot to do, just pick out a cafe or bar that looks nice along it and enjoy.

Oh! Just remembered, on the 30th of June there's this all night event in the city, with lots of street performances and stuff like that. You should definitely make your schedule revolve around that if you can manage.

I'm up for more tips if you're interested, I'm a tel avivian so I know a lot of cool little places.
>>
File: IMG_2231.jpg (663 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2231.jpg
663 KB, 2592x1936
Hey, I'm an Israeli.
I wouldn't go to Eilat.
Haifa is nice but Acre might be nicer. I have never been to the west bank but it might be interesting for you. I am left winged, here are two Israeli left winged organizations that may offer tours (Read their websites or message them):
http://www.breakingthesilence.org.il/
http://www.ir-amim.org.il/en
The first one is very much hated by the right winged :)

Food - Hummus, Falafel, Shawarma, Arab Sweets (Baklawa & Knafeh) and many more for local street food.

I like the Arava region but its remote. Try the big crater (Ramon crater), the dead sea, Mesada.

Pic related: Frikasse (Originally a Tunisian dish) I ate in Be'er Sheva, near my house (About $5).
>>
>>1131200
Why would you send someone that's going to israel for two weeks to a politically charged tour that'd make him feel miserable? What does he stand to gain? Don't listen to this retard.
>>
>>1130175
Tel Aviv is pretty fun. Jerusalem is beautiful and seemed safe when I was there, even the arab quarter.
If you're in Israel you might as well go to the dead sea, and if you have the money take a couple of days to visit Petra in Jordan, it isn't so far.
You can bus across the border then get a private car to drive you the rest of the way.
>>
File: IMG_0846.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0846.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>1131207
Well what is the point of this trip? Just eating local food and taking pictures of nice buildings or also understanding the political situation?
Everyone has his own interests. And its still just a one day activity.
I imagine that Israel is mostly known world wide for its political situation rather than Haifa's Bahai Gardens (Which are beautiful).
>>
>>1131218
Maybe you should ask that question before you send someone to go and receive a one sided view on the conflict, then? If you want him to get a better understanding of the conflict, why aren't you directing him to some Israeli propaganda museum or something so that his view could get balanced. Shovrim Shtika is good for Israel, but I fail to see how you're helping the country by making people go to a tour that'd make them hate this place and its people and isn't nearly good at representing the situation at hand. I really disagree with this suggestion, don't send a casual tourist to a political tour unless he actively said he wants to explore the situation in detail, and even then, if you really care, have him learn from both sides.
>>
File: IMG_0869.jpg (3 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0869.jpg
3 MB, 2592x1936
>>1131220
OP(?) said in the first posts he is into history and anthropology.
I advise him going to Shovrim Shtika and not to a Propoganda museum because a) I'm not sure such a museum exists b) I think Shovrim Shtika is more reliable (You automatically assume any museum is more balanced?). It is of course subjective and people might disagree. But I have stated that they are left-winged and are hated among right-winged Israelies. OP is an adult who is responsible to ask about right-winged trip if he wishes.

>I fail to see how you're helping the country by making people go to a tour that'd make them hate this place
Well I don't know how well you know Israel, but in my prespective the occupation is horrible and people should be made aware to that is done in their name (If they are Israelis). It is not only immoral and dangerous but also damaging our education and health system because too much money is spent on the west bank and the ministry of defense.
I only wish the tourist to see the truth (if he wishes). Will Israel suffer from tourists exposed to these tours? I think pressure to end the occupation is more than welcome.
>>
>>1131220
someone always has to bring their political bullshit into everything, that's all
>>
>>1131243
I never said that a museum is reliable, what I was saying is that Shovrim are SEVERELY slanted to the left, to the point where they'd easily, easily condemn any action in the west bank but would struggle to show proper condemnation towards any opposite action. I'm not saying that a propaganda museum exists, but I'm saying that Shovrim is about as biased as that museum could be. Also
>Anthropology
>Tour in the west bank
Man this is so stupid I don't even know where to begin.
>Economic hardship will make the occupation end
The occupation is unlikely to end, because people in this country are too fucking stupid to vote for anything other than the right, and honestly, your kind of actions helps their mindset.
>>
>>1131247

Some smarmy little fucker once said that being passive in the face of evil is to be evil yourself.

Oversimplified, sure. But when the status quo involves an illegal occupation and organ harvesting, maybe a little "political bullshit" is warrented, eh?
>>
>>1130175
bethlahem is just a pretty place. Im palastinian so I spent a couple months in the ramulluh country side. good times, plenty of honey bees, farm life, goats, pomegranates, etc.. day time temps in the 100's night time dips down to 60. jarusalem is crowded AS FUCK and a lot of beggars.
the isreali dick face ( yeah if your isreali you ruined that country so thanks..) checkpoint charlie shit is annoying and almost ruined it. the truck full of armed personnel is kinda lame and makes the experience 3rd worldy when it really shouldnt.

WATCH out for
>isreali military being dicks
>food poisoning can happen
>malaria is possible
> Id suggest not bringing your girlfriend ameri girls usually dont like it over there.
Must go to a real authentic Hookah bar with cherry wood coals ( the best smoke Ive ever had in my life)
Tel aviv is fun if you feel like getting your dick wet because little jewish girls are whores
Just dont pass up the country side it really is pretty in some places.
>>
>>1131289
Israeli here
>Israeli military can be dicks
Only if you go to the west bank, or areas where it's unsafe in general. They won't bother you if you're sticking to reasonable areas
>food poisoning can happen
Literally never had food poisoning ever, but idk maybe foreigners aren't used to our cuisine. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
>malaria is possible
What? I've never heard of malaria in israel
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/israel
>Must go to a real authentic Hookah bar with cherry wood coals ( the best smoke Ive ever had in my life)
Very, very true. I suggest you stop by a village called Abu Gosh on the way to jerusalem, it's an arab village but it's full of friendly people and it has some GREAT hookah + hummus bars. It's the kind of place that's good to go with people you know, though.
>Just dont pass up the country side it really is pretty in some places.
The desert is quite lovely if you can stand the heat. You kind of missed the season for travelling up north because it'll be dry and dead by the time you get there, but this guy's right
>>
>>1131200
Or you could just tour the West Bank on your own. You don't need a guided tour. It's easy to travel on your own and see things on your own. The locals will be happy to talk to tourists.
>>
bumping for interest
>>
>>1130223
Because of yiddish speaking immigrants..
>>
>>1130618
>in an oven.
>>
Can a woman traveling alone visit Israel?
>>
>>1131289
>this comment (oO)
>>
>>1130175
>Tips in general are apprecciated
*tips fedora*
>>
File: 13-4513[2].jpg (108 KB, 672x504) Image search: [Google]
13-4513[2].jpg
108 KB, 672x504
see if you take intrest in any of those:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negev_incense_route

Generally I'd try to add a day or two hiking in the desert (keep in mind it's had and you need to take plenty of water).

>>1131067
it's arnd 25$ a day (if I remember correctly) and it's more expensive if you don't have a license (needs an introduction dive). it's awesome tho, I dive in eilat a lot. there's nice hiking around Eilat too.

>>1131147
give Alexander a try. visit "The Dancing Camel" in Tel Aviv.

>>1131243
>going to Shovrim Shtika
they lie a lot and show the situation in a very simplistic, one-sided reddit-like way.

>>1131485
obviously... Girls are even known to walk the Israeli National Trail alone.
>>
>>1130175
>Any tips on where to go, what (not) to do?
use gettaxi or be sure you know the price of a cab drive before you take it. we have some asshole cab drivers here.
>>
oh, also keep in mind saturday (sabbath) is the day off and people work only half a day on friday. stuff might be closed (but open on sunday).
>>
>>1131493
Good tip. Important to remember that there's no public transportation starting friday evening, through saturday, and it only becomes available on saturday night (an hour after sunset, thanks orthodox jews!). So, plan accordingly. Jerusalem in particular might be problematic to visit during saturday because of this, but tel aviv or haifa should be fine, worst case scenario you can always just get a taxi. I think uber works in israel.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.