[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you know that Michigan is actually split in to two distinct
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: Especially in Michigan.jpg (11 KB, 254x199) Image search: [Google]
Especially in Michigan.jpg
11 KB, 254x199
Did you know that Michigan is actually split in to two distinct parts?

The mitten, and then the other part to the North. I will be traveling to Detroit for business next week; if I have time is it easy and or worth checking out the other part? I have never been to this part of the US before, and didn't realize there was an upper peninsula until consulting a map today.
>>
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 275x184) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 275x184
It's like several hours away to the UP from the Detroit area, bro. There's nothing to see up there unless you get a hard-on for nature (weirdo). There are a couple of cool history attractions in the Detroit area, though. Have you ever been to Greenfield Village or the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant? Those are worth checking out.
>>
File: 1311825161330.jpg (2 MB, 1829x1127) Image search: [Google]
1311825161330.jpg
2 MB, 1829x1127
I live in the Detroit area and own a small bit of property in the UP. It's a 5 hour drive to get up there and it is beautiful but there isn't much to do unless you are a fan of outdoorsy things. Camping, fishing, hunting. It's very much small towns broken up by huge patches of forest.
>>
>>1129046
>unless you get a hard-on for nature (weirdo).

as a matter of fact.....I'm looking for the sort of place to build my unibomber-esque cabin.
>>
>>1129046
>Have you ever been to Greenfield Village or the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant? Those are worth checking out.

No but that sounds fantastic so I certainly will.
>>
I spent a week in a lakeside cabin in the UP. Very beautiful and remote. As others have said, it's a pretty long drive from detroit, and I'd expect it to be buggy. Not a ton to do, but there are a few cool destinations. Pretty slow paced, in a good way.

If I was on a limited timeframe, I'd probably stock to detroit. Lots to explore there
>>
>>1129085
Did you go to Marquette?
>>
>>1129115
No, I was mostly in the area of Paradise
>>
>>1129044
In the Winter when the lake freezes you can walk from one Michigan to the other.
>>
>>1129044
>>>1129046

Congratulations anon, you will love the UP.
>>
>>1129044
>>1129046

I live in Michigan. From Lansing to the Mackinac Bridge is about three and a half hours. From Detroit I'm guessing it's closer to five, especially if you're leaving at an hour when there will be traffic coming out of the city.

I wouldn't recommend making the journey unless you have a lot of time to kill. The Upper Peninsula is quite lengthy and it'd take you another five hours to traverse its course. However, there are some interesting attractions in the area. Mackinac Island is a nice visit, as there are no cars allowed on the island and there are plenty of well-preserved historical islands as well as fudge shops which are famous across the state. You can get a good view of the bridge from either side of the strait.

Struggling to think of much else that a visitor might be interested in doing. If you had a lot of time, there's some good fishing on the various branches of the Two-Hearted River, as well as amazing shoreline on Lake Superior.

Frankly, I'd say you're best off sticking in Detroit. Downtown is relatively safe and is surprisingly vibrant. There are also a number of attractions in the city as well as in its surrounding suburbs and satellites.

Oh, and >>1129085 reminded me - you will get SLAUGHTERED this time of year by insects. Mosquitoes are very tame compared to the UP's black flies.
>>
File: 333.jpg (89 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
333.jpg
89 KB, 1280x960
>>1129915

Forgot to attach my image. Provided you have a passport or enhanced drivers license, OP, I'd suggest taking a ride over the Ambassador Bridge or through the Detroit Tunnel over to Windsor for an evening. The sunset over the city is very nice. While the skyline might not be as impressive as Chicago or New York's, it's still iconic in its own way.

Last night was my first time in Windsor and I was absolutely blown away by the quality of the nightlife. I'm sure parts of Detroit are good, but Windsor is a bit safer after dark.

Anyway, it's all up to you. I had a fun spin over the bridge - there wasn't much traffic when I went, and customs didn't ask too many questions.

If you're dead-set on the UP, you should bring some fishing gear and camping supplies. As others have said, it's more of an outdoors destination than anything. It's very sparsely populated compared to the rest of the state. Although there are cities, I don't think there's much to do in them. If you're going to the UP, it's for the nature.
>>
File: LuaEsP6.jpg (941 KB, 3405x2266) Image search: [Google]
LuaEsP6.jpg
941 KB, 3405x2266
I know 4chan hates Reddit but this is a very good directory of things to see and do in Detroit, especially downtown. The city is slowly but surely on the rebound.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Detroit/comments/2imfkl/things_to_do_in_detroit_once_and_for_all_again/
>>
>>1130341

Is it? I made the posts above you. Downtown seems great, but the majority of the city seems like absolute shit. I rode my motorbike from where my girlfriend lives in Livonia down one of the "mile" roads to Grand River and took that all the way downtown. The entirety of Grand River Avenue was a dilapidated mess. It has much less charm than many developing countries I've visited.

The ride from downtown to Southwest Detroit / Mexicantown was more of the same. Lots of empty fields, abandoned buildings that looked as if they might once have been beautiful, and vandalized and half-burnt houses.

The impression I've always gotten is that Detroit has these revitalized, energetic, and hip enclaves that represent a resurgence, but the rest of the city is still leagues behind.

Not to be a hater, of course. Detroit has its own gritty charm.
>>
>>1130384
Yeah I had a great time there last summer with my GF.

>>1130341
I'm not clickin that shit. I've had it with Reddit's oppressive culture and endless circle jerk. Fuck them.
>>
>>1130569

And how far out of downtown did you go?
>>
>>1129916
>anyone recommending Windsor for anything, ever
Whew lad, I've seen some odd shit in my time, but never this.
>>
>>1129044
check out Midtown and New Center, lots of museums and hip stuff. Also Eastern Market is dope.
>>
>>1130652
>Windsor

I remember when I was 19
>>
>>1130704
>>1130652

I can legally drink in the United States. Maybe it just seemed worthwhile because I live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and never see people go outside unless I fly to another country or drive to a bigger city.
>>
>>1130652
>>1130704
>>1129916
Does Windsor suck? Good place to live?

I'm from Canada and looking for places that are reasonably cheap to move to when I finish school and Windsor is on the radar especially since Detroit seems like it's on the upswing right nearby
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.