[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a long stopover in Hanoi, Vietnam with around 12 hours
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: When-to-go-to-Hanoi2.jpg (358 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
When-to-go-to-Hanoi2.jpg
358 KB, 1280x854
I have a long stopover in Hanoi, Vietnam with around 12 hours free.

What should I do?

I really would love to see some of the city, but do I have time?
>>
Do you have a visa?
>>
>>1128397
No, does everyone need one? I have a british passport
>>
>>1128429
There was a temporary visa exemption for UK citizens valid through... I think it's this month. Check your embassy website to see if it's still valid.

If not, visas on arrival can be procured, but you have to sign up for them in advance... Lots of online travel agents doing this with 24-48 hour turnaround. You get an approval letter that you hand in with your passport at the VOA window. Easy enough to do.

Assuming you either don't need or don't mind getting a visa, and that you've never been in Hanoi before, the old part of town around Hoan Kiem lake is an obvious first choice--lots of narrow streets, cafes, restaurants, and bars, nice atmosphere if a bit heavily touristed (the north end of the lake is sort of a backpacker ghetto, but locals eat and drink there too). Great atmospheric place to wander in for a few hours.

Also excellent is the relatively new National Ethnographic Museum. If you want some communism, the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum and museum are of also of some interest.
>>
>>1128389
Oh, and regarding time, you should be OK. Give yourself about an hour of taxi transit time each way--you may not need that long but the traffic can be pretty insane. But assuming daytime hours you should have plenty of time for a meal and a look around.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.