[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A Big Change
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: my-great-adventure-2013-1878.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
my-great-adventure-2013-1878.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
>tl;dr suddenly changing cultures, location, job, etc. while you're still young

So let me start off with my backstory. I'm 28, single, house, dog, good full time job. Things have been 95% the same for me the last 2-4 years. I realized that the way things are going I'm going to wake up tomorrow and be 40 and in relatively the same place.

I'm just beginning to toy around with the idea of a big change. I'm from the US and I'm talking about moving to a country with a decent to big culture shock. I wouldn't be interested in like the UK or AUS. My biggest hurdle is that I don't have any desirable assets working for me and because of that this post is most likely as far as I go with this idea. I don't speak any other languages and I'm a tier 2 support technician for a managed IT service provider so I'm nothing special by any means (in the eyes of an abroad employer.)

So really I'm just looking for stories of people who made a big change. I would absolutely LOVE to spend several years in another country like Japan or Switzerland or something. So, if you've done this tell me your story, experience, obstacles, etc.
>>
>>1127356
Consider teaching English abroad? We usually have threads on that here
>>
>>1127395

That's one of the biggest things I've come across in my research but I'd really love to continue with my career in IT.

Beggars cant be choosers though.
>>
>>1127356
>support technician for a managed IT service provider so I'm nothing special
Just find an employer that allows you to work from abroad.

I am a digital nomad myself. It is not ideal, but anytime I get fed up, I change country.

Just make sure to never run out of money: Always keep a buffer.
>>
>>1127395
Not OP but how hard is it to do that in Europe? Especially if I wanted to live in a city like that picture.
>>
I'm 21, from Finland. I have lived a year in Dublin, Ireland and I recently moved to Sofia, Bulgaria.

Stressing it doesn't really change anything. Only advise I can give is look for a job online at first as we have this blessing called the Internet. Both times I moved I had a job offer and less than 1000€ on my bank account.

Sure you can move first and then look for a job if you have a little money to get by with. At least here in Bulgaria even niggers can get a work visa just by finding a job
>>
I moved to Switzerland last year, in the german part. I applied online for a job at the beginning of August, I came for a job interview after three weeks and I started working in October. At the beginning the cultural shock was really big, here people are really quite and formal, like nobody talks about their private life or tell jokes unless it's with their intimate friend or family. It's also the country where it's most difficult to make friends, I read somewhere.

I studied german alone and I can tell you that if your command of german is not perfect you're going to put yourself under a lot of stress

On the other end I heard of people working in American firms that after five years don't know a single word in german

Anyway now I got used to this country and I'm really starting to love it.
>>
>>1127622
not possible if you aren't a teacher or u go to poor countries in east europe
>>
>>1127356
alright, here's mine
>born and raised in SE Asia (country with lots of ladyboys), spent a year in WY, USA as an exchange student, after highschool, I told myself and parents that I'd surely move aboard.
>2002 graduated from uni as an architect, worked in BKK for 2 years, tried to save all the money everyway possible
>with help from parents, I moved to France at age of 25, I didn't speak the language.
>spent a year learn the language and work in the kitchen, ski station etc., then I got into master degree of a public architecture school.
>3 years of study, I spent half of the time working part-time for an architect firm, other half in classes, the week-end I went up working at a ski-station.
>after graduated, they instantly hired me for full time and CDI (it's life time contract)
>fast forward now, I'm still here, married, living my life happy
>went back to visit parents only once but bought them tickets to come see me every 2 years
>>
Mainly bumping but I got work from Bangkok and I'm moving there at end of this month.

I am or were in very same situation as you; everything's fine here in Finland and I have stable income + friends. Still I'm going to exchange those for lower salary and uncertain future because I want to experience that big change.

You have the itch, just start working on it. Otherwise you really wake up some morning at your 40's and mourn things you didnt do.
>>
>>1127622
TEFL shit, no way. Try it as seasonal ski/snowboard instructor or something.
If you got a teacher degree and master or two in Math, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Geographie or History and a B2-C1 degree in german leave a temp mail addy, I got a job for you.
>>
>>1127870
I only have a TEFL certification and an unrelated degree. I didn't expect much, but I'm already planning to go elsewhere. Might consider Europe down the line, though.
>>
>>1127356
>28
>young
lol
>>
>>1127625
Why the fuck would you move to a third world shithole like Bulgaria?
>>
>>1127891
Unless you are a spoiled brat, your actual life with which you can do something constructive starts in your mid 20s at the very least.

The spoiled brats take a year off, waste their parents money travelling 'urop, then spend 5 years doing a liberal arts diploma on parent/debt dime. "hur dur i am 25 and i have life experience"
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.