[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can TEFL be a genuine long-term career option?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: career-paths.jpg (36 KB, 640x355) Image search: [Google]
career-paths.jpg
36 KB, 640x355
I've been doing TEFL in Japan for the past four years and, let's be honest, seem to have fucked myself out of anything else. Have decent Japanese (N2), but other than that, my resume is all TEFL.

Most people I see that seem to be getting into TEFL are only doing it temporarily. Can it be a long-term career? I've heard of university jobs, but assume I will have to move out of Japan for this, since university jobs here in Japan are all contract or part-time only.

So, I'm a bit lost. Any advice?
>>
>>1125308
if you want to be poor, sure
>>
>>1125308
Nope. Your 4 years of teaching and living abroad can't be applied to anything in the real world.
>>
>>1125308
TEFL can be parlayed to a career as a legit school teacher, at international schools especially. But I don't think Japan has a market that. I think it's pretty much restricted to third world countries where people with money want their kids to have a quality Western education. Like the Middle East and South East Asia.
>>
>>1125811
Almost every capital city in the world has at least on international school. It is not just a poor country thing. They are more popular in developing countries as a way for rich locals to give their kids a decent education. In the more developed countries, the student body is mostly made up of embassy children.
>>
>>1125837
True, but the it's a lot of easier to get a job in the third world because of the number of schools. Not impossible in the first world, but more competitive. Also in the first world a TEFL background holds far less weight than a traditional teaching degree/background
>>
>>1125308

you could get a masters in TEFL and then teach at the university level.
>>
>>1125811
and Europe and South America. But of course, Europe totally sucks next to Grorious Nippon right?

OP, if you've only taught little Jap kids basic grammar and ABCs, yea, you're fucked. Do you have any kind of specializations at all?
>>
some international schools make bank (relatively speaking).

you can also turn your skill set into a business by creating products that will help others who have a desire to teach abroad realize their dreams
>>
>>1125926
do you have any clue how difficult it is to start a business? let alone in a country with a different language where you have to pay 100 different bribes or get shut down
>>
>>1125939
>do you have any clue how difficult it is to start a business?

literally billions of people have started businesses
>>
>>1125945
man where do you retards come from

a sober review of the facts is that more than 50% of startups fail in the first year. 80% fail within 3 years.

you think rich people are stupid, or lazy? if they could just start up new businesses, why wouldn't they?

no, wait, rich people are racist, which is why they don't start up businesses in poor countries, where teh failure rate is HIGHER despite room for growth because of bribes, corruption, lack of transparency, etc.

right, rich people who are greedy, are lazy and racist, or dumb, which is why despite loving money, they don't start new businesses. but YOU, YOU are so smart, you can do it and it's really EASY!

oh btw I have a life insurance plan to sell you...
>>
>>1125947

Jesus Christ mate. You're clearly in a dark place mentally. I hope you seek help.
>>
>>1125953
>literally billions of people have started businesses
you're clearly in a disabled place, mentally
>>
>>1125947
You're right m8, people should just stop everything and never try to start a business when the state can just do everything for them. RAISE THE BANNER! HAIL MARX! HAIL STALIN!
>>
>>1126119
I was making fun of marxism you dolt. only marxists assume business is easy, they assume anyone can do it, and that makes capitalists "evil," and "exploitationist."

a capitalist supports business creation precisely because it IS ruthlessly hard. it's HARD to create value, and not only create value, but do it BETTER than everyone else. if you're not willing to acknowledge that, you're going to lose all your money before you even start
>>
>>1126121
If you have to explain your joke, it obviously sucked.

The fact that anyone can start a business (if they live in a free country) does not negate the fact it might well fail. No one said otherwise, so untwist your panties already.

A liberal supports business creation. Capitalists support betting on that business to either do well or not. They're not quite the same.
>>
If you teach on American military bases you can get good benefits and pay. They're everywhere.

Also international schools.

Or university teaching.

You'll probably need a masters or above though. You'll need a real teaching license, not just a TEFL cert.
>>
How's the course for Masters in TEFL anyway?
>>
>>1125991

But that's a fact....
>>
>>1126121
are you retarded? Marxist do not think anyone can do shit on their own and thus the government must create all business and jobs. Do you even GOMUNISM?
>>
Just wanted to post to give OP some hope. My friend has made a career in it. Not in Japan, but she started teaching in China. Did it longer than most people would. She's also a polyglot, though. Now, she's in Russia picking it up and tutoring on the side. With her years of teaching experience it actually looks really good on her resume as rich families hire her to private tutor their children. She's making good money now but just made okay money for years.

There's definitely a path for it, OP. Not sure if it's through Japanese but I can't see why it wouldn't be. There's money there too - it's just a matter of marketing yourself somehow.
>>
You can move on to teaching in International Schools or other higher paying jobs. They usually set you up with free housing and pay decently.

Or bite the bullet and teach in Saudi Arabia for a few years, which pays $5000 - $8000 a month with most expenses and housing paid for. Save up your money and use it to invest/retire early.
>>
File: tefl.png (60 KB, 779x995) Image search: [Google]
tefl.png
60 KB, 779x995
What changes should i make to my Resume?
>>
>>1126492
Nothing, you'II definiteIy get that job at McDonaIds in no time.
>>
>>1126492
The format is pretty messy and amateur. You could easily condense some of that info into more relevant sections. Reduce the blah blah blah in your Woolworth's job. You were a cashier, doing a job retards can do, and for far too long. Don't glorify it too much, m8.

Some of the shit in your "Skills" section should disappear. "As seen by the fact that no tigers ever prowled the store or mauled a customer, I therefore have proven ability to deter homicidal jungle cats"...

http://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/cvs/
http://ocs.fas.harvard.edu/resumes-cvs-cover-letters

Check those out (there are links to templates and sample versions within) and copy one of the formats. I assume Australian format is not that different from British or American. I worked, once upon a time, at a university career services office and wouldn't rank your resume very high at the moment. You don't have a lot of experience in varied jobs, OK fine, but you can at least make it look less you're desperate to fill out the page.
>>
>>1125308
Join the military as an officer if you have a bachelors' degree, your knowledge in japanese should get you stationed there.
>>
>>1126492
>one grading off black belt in WTF taekwondo
>>
>>1126492
WTF is WTF Taekwondo?
>>
>>1126492
>Lerner's Permit
>wants to teach English
>>
>>1126627
>WTF
>Not TAGB

Fuck you pussy ass nigga.
>>
>>1126776
meant for
>>1126492
>>
File: reaction3.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
reaction3.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
>>1126492

>one grading off black belt in WTF taekwando

I did not expect to laugh on this board
>>
Does Honour in TESOL from a university count?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.