[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Johannesburg...I'm planning to take a trip there and I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 1465149504737.jpg (32 KB, 456x384) Image search: [Google]
1465149504737.jpg
32 KB, 456x384
Johannesburg...I'm planning to take a trip there and I want to know does the rand have a good exchange rate? Is it really that dangerous? As an American, can I eat the meat there...like braai? Best hostels there? How's the nightlife and using a taxi is a safe option? If I do plan to go out, what time should I leave to go home?
>>
R.I.P anonymous ;_;
>>
>>1125080
Joburg... now why the fuck would you do that?
>>
>>1125080
op gonna die
>>
>>1125080
>How's the nightlife
AIDS inducing

>what time should I leave to go home?
Before the sun sets

>As an American, can I eat the meat there?
Yes. Perhaps the one positive.

>does the rand have a good exchange rate?
Your US dollars will give you lots of Rand, but prices are so expensive that it's irrelevant.
>>
>>1125080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsgt0BYDHeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLkRA2pdBdE

These are your average JoBurg resident. You should head to the Cape instead. Its a lot more laidback better almost like Australia.
>>
>>1125261
someone needs to nuke africa
>>
Jesus, why does Joburg always get so much hate on here? I highly doubt everyone that states how horrible it is has actually been there.
>>
>>1125271
Prove otherwise, if you can.
>>
>rand have a good exchange rate?
For an usa citizen, yes. A botle of wine for 12 obamas.
>Is it really that dangerous?
Yes, the city is dangerous but you be fine, just don't be stupid.
>can I eat the meat there...like braai?
Sure.
>Best hostels there?
Brow Sugar
>How's the nightlife
Like in any big city in the world
>using a taxi is a safe option?
Uber is better, but taxis are fine.
>what time should I leave to go home?
Early you go home, less fun you will have.
>>
http://www.joburgtourism.com/

http://www.jhblive.com/

All you need.
>>
>>1125271
Pretty sure its north korea tier if you arent black. Theres plenty of nice cities in Africa why go to the one where youre gonna get killed? Makes no sense
>>
>>1125385
>Pretty sure its north korea tier if you arent black.
Most of the violence is poor black on poor black and it happens in places that no visitor would need or want to visit. If you stick to tourist locations and places that wealthy folk go to, you will be fine. There;s much better places to go in South Africa, though, Cape Town and the national parks especially.
>>
>>1125802
Joburg is one big location
>>
>>1125806
4u
>>
>>1125080
bart simpson you fag ride the africa train
>>
>>1125297
Coworker of mine, a 55 year old white South African goes back to his hometown of Jo'burg at least every 2 years or so. He was just there in the spring. Always raves about how friendly people are. He does know lots of people though. Good jazz clubs, restaurants, etc. He enjoys a toke (he's an old beatnik) and says the weed is great. As for crime, he's always shrugged it off when I ask him. Yes it's there, but easy to avoid if you're aware. Don't go anywhere unfamiliar alone (locals tend to go mostly to familiar 'vouched' places, and often in groups, especially after nightfall), always inform people where you're going, avoid sketchy areas (I guess you have to know which are which), only take registered taxis, if you get in a sticky situation don't argue or fight because they will not hesitate to kill you.

YMMV.
>>
>>1125356
12 dollars is supposed to be a good price for local wine? Is that a joke or a misunderstanding?
>>
>>1125937
You would pay that, around 180-200 rand, for a very good local wine. You can get a decent bottle for 60 rand ($4). Less if you go to the wineries themselves and the Cape Wineland, just inland from Cape Town, is beautiful.
>>
>>1125363
>Your online guide to what’s going down in Johannesburg
>Gay Sub-Saharan Rock Art In Zim
>Ancient rock art found in Zimbabwe proves that homosexuality isn’t foreign to African culture.

wot
>>
>>1126229
Here in Germany, a bottle of decent drinkable local wine starts at 3-4€. You can certainly pay more (or less... but 2€ wine is generally meh). I guess I'm just surprised, with the cost of living in South Africa, etc. I would've somehow thought it'd be cheaper.
>>
Is speaking Afrikaans around there any kind of plus [spoiler] around whites [/spoiler] ? My mother language is Dutch and I hung around with some Afrikaner chicks for a couple of months. I'd consider myself B1/2.

>mfw no captcha
>>
>>1126325
With Afrikaaners, sure. Millions (mostly blacks of course) speak some degree of Afrikaans as a second language though. English tends to be the preferred/status lingua franca though, due to obvious political reasons.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.