[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I will meet an online friend when traveling abroad. Is there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: parrot oil pastel.jpg (98 KB, 427x512) Image search: [Google]
parrot oil pastel.jpg
98 KB, 427x512
I will meet an online friend when traveling abroad. Is there a way for me to verify his identity?
>have been talking to internet friend for a couple of years
>he is 18 and just graduated from high school
>has video skyped with me before - appereance matches photos he sent me a long time ago and Whatsapp profile pic
>Says he hardly ever uses it ever since we met many years ago
>Gave me his Facebook anyway when I asked for it
>Only has two girls there whom he has met online
>Googled his full name
>Can't find any info except for how he won a competition many years ago in his province

How to verify his identity? I know that if I go out with a friend or go on a date with someone I know or something, there is also the chance that I will be raped or killed or something, but hey, at least it is easy for the police to search up his info based on where he works. This guy? Nothing. I know which high school he went to but I cannot "verify" that.
>>
probably not really relevant to /trv/.. maybe try >>/adv/
But all I can suggest is meet in a very public place and if anything at all seems off or uncomfortable gtfo, order a uber and go somewhere safe without him/her.
Also, be familiar with the area you meet before you do meet up and tell someone you know what time and where you are meeting them.

There are some crazy motherfuckers out there and having no friends to verify who this person is sends up some red flags imo.
>>
>>1124246
I've posted in on /adv/. Some people on that board pointed out that it is very possible he created a Facebook account just for adding people he met online and he doesn't have an actual Facebook for people he knows irl. Those /adv/isors said that they did this themselves so it may not be a red flag but I should still be cautious.
I really dislike the way how there is no way for me to "verify" his identity although I've known him for a couple of years now and there are zero red flags. It seems unlikely that a predator or a kidnapper will talk to a girl 11-hours flight away hoping that one day she will arrive in his country so that he can do bad stuff to her. He never asked me to do anything sexual/flirted with me, but yeah, I guess there is always the chance that things can go terribly wrong and nothing is 100% safe.
>>
>>1124248
*zero red flags other than his Facebook account
He also mentioned how he wants to bring his brother along as his brother likes history so he knows more about the historical attractions in their area. However, he still hasn't tell his brother about our meeting yet. My irl friend finds that odd. Some /adv/isors found that odd, some did not.
>>
>>1124248
Yeah well I guess if he is understanding about how you feel uncomfortable to being able to verify he is who he says he is ask him to take a photo of an ID or letter with his name/address... save it or print it out in case you get raped and murdered (sorry lol) :)
>>
>>1124250
ah yeah that is pretty odd.. perhaps on the day he will not be able to meet and 'his brother' will show up instead.
>>
File: photoshop body evolution.jpg (137 KB, 640x309) Image search: [Google]
photoshop body evolution.jpg
137 KB, 640x309
>>1124251
>ask him to take a photo of an ID or letter with his name/address
Can be photoshopped, or maybe the letter that he took a photo of is not even real
>>
>>1124252
Yeah or maybe both of them will not show up. "We have something to do that day" or that sort of excuse
He said his brother is not always at home or willing to talk, but I find that a bit strange. Hmmm...
>>
>>1124253
true but verifying anything about anyone purely online is nearly impossible, not everyone is good with photoshop so if he does try to shop it maybe it will be obvious and add to the red flags
>>
>>1124255
Do you know anyone in the country you are visiting?
Please tell me you don't plan to stay at this persons place...
>>
>>1124256
He can just easily print a letter out, take a pic of it, no photoshop.
He can verify me though. I have hundred+ friends on Facebook and I once even appeared in a news article after a competition.
This "uneveness" was never a concern for me as I never thought about meeting him irl until recently
>>
>>1124257
>Please tell me you don't plan to stay at this persons place
Of course not. Even if I knew him irl, it would be strange to do that
>Do you know anyone in the country you are visiting?
I will travel with a tour organized by my uni. We have the option of staying behind. Our teacher is from that country.
>>
>>1124259
maybe he can come say hi while you are with your uni friends then you can at least make sure he isn't a complete fake?
I don't know really, i'm just throwing out ideas..
>>
>>1124258
how did you meet him?
how old is he (supposedly) and how old are you?
>>
>>1124260
Yeah I will try to bring my travelmates along of course.
He was 16 I was 17.
An rpg game based on an anime was removed from its server. Creators of the game no longer had a backup copy of the game so it was supposedly permanently "gone". Online friend went around asking if anyone had a copy of the game. I saw his message on the fan wiki, replied, and kept in contact ever since.
>>
>>1124262
ah ok so he didn't initiate contact and you are both around the same age if he's telling the truth, i guess you just have to go with your instinct and meet the safest way possible.. unless another anon has some suggestions.

What country btw?
>>
>>1124264
>he didn't initiate contact and
yes
he is spanish
>>
>>1124243
If you feel the need to ask for advice on whether it's safe to meet someone you've known for a couple years, then it's clear there isn't any trust in that relationship anyway, so why risk it?
>>
>>1124268
>whether it's safe to meet someone you've known for a couple years
Well, I've never met him before irl. Ive never met an internet friend irl before and I guess I have trust issues in general with everyone i know
>>
>>1124269
I honestly can't tell if you're looking for an excuse to get out of an interaction you don't want to have, or if you are genuinely fearful of your safety.

What has he been saying about this meeting if anything? Does he seem excited to meet you?

Or more importantly, do you even really want to meet him?
>>
You have been posting this same thing for ages now. What else do you want? Just meet him. It will be safe. You will meet at a cafe or something. Stop being so paranoid. It's Spain, not some third world shithole where you will be kidnapped.
>>
>>1124273
>You have been posting this same thing for ages now. What else do you want?

This, this, this. How many times is this bitch going to post the EXACT SAME THREAD? She's an attention whore, plain and simple. Will you anons please stop feeding this dumb twat?
>>
>>1124272
>do you even really want to meet him?
yes
I googled his full name and now I discovered that there is more to that competition he won many years ago. It was mentioned in the Facebook page of that chess organisation and there is a link to a Picasa album. He is in one of the photos but I am not 100% sure if that is him - nowadays he always wear glasses and he wasnt wearing glasses in those pics
Is that really him? feel like her in pic related lol
>>
File: It's OP.jpg (56 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
It's OP.jpg
56 KB, 400x400
>>1124243

Given the way you've been behaving over the past month or so, I'd say the guy in Spain is the one running all the risks. You're seriously fucked in the head, OP. Do the Spanish guy a favor and leave him alone. Do /trv/ a favor and leave us alone.
>>
>>1122313
>>1122313
>>1122313
Better wise up you naive lurkers.
>>
Bump
Wana meet internt friend for the first time
>He said he wants to brng brother along
>Stil hasnt asked broher
Is this a red flag? Shuld I not meet him? (Am femanon btw)
>>
>>1122313
>>1122313
>>1122313
Better wise up you naive lurkers.
>>
>>1122313
>>1122313
>>1122313
Better wise up you naive lurkers!
>>
>>1122313
>>1122313
>>1122313
Don't forget, naive lurkers! Wise up!
>>
>>1122313
>>1122313
>>1122313
Naive lurkers! Already read this other thread?

>>1122313
>>1122313
>>
>>1122313
>>1122313
>>1122313
Naive lurkers! Remember! Sage goes in the "options" box!
>>
>>1124243
Meet him/her in a public place, preferentially after you have made your check in in the hotel.
>>
>>1122313
>>1122313
>>1122313
Naive lurkers! Remember! Sage goes in the "options" box!
>>
>>1122313
>>1122313
>>1122313
Naive lurkers! Don't waste your time with troll threads!
>>
>>1122313
>>1122313
>>1122313

>>1122313
>>1122313
>>
>>1122313
>>1122313
>>1122313
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.