[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Morrocco
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
I can't find much on Morocco travel safety

Is this a safe country for westerners to travel to?
>>
>>1123906
For men, yes. But every woman I know who has traveled to North Africa (notably Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt) has had an absolute dogshit time with harassment. And by "harassment" I don't mean hoodrats saying "hey sexy," I mean, men grabbing their arms and asking how many donkeys they'll require for marriage, and/or getting rocks thrown at their heads.
>>
Completely safe from a personal safety point of view, as in, there's no violent crime anywhere. But keep your eyes open and your wits sharp, or they'll fleece you in a minute. So many scams.

They'll overcharge you at rates of 1000% on taxis, they'll overcharge you on cafes and restaurants, they'll put food on the table that you never ordered and then charge you even if you haven't touched it. Don't buy anything on the streets but the simplest of souvenirs, and only if you have to. The quality is atrocious and prices for whitey are through the roof. Ironically, street food vendors where the only ones who didn't try to rip me off.

I'd say its quite safe even at night, even in the poorest parts of the cities (the ugly parts of the soukhs). Morrocans, and I guess arabs in general, tend to all go out at night, from sundown til past midnight, so it's not very likely that you'll be out on the streets alone at night.

Where are you thinking of going?
>>
>>1123918
>But every woman I know who has traveled to North Africa (notably Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt) has had an absolute dogshit time with harassment.

Yeah, I agree with this, though I believe in Morocco it's not as bad as in Egypt. I haven't heard of anyone being physically harmed there. Grabbing your hand, yeah, but they did that to me (guy here) as well when they wanted to take me on a tour of the city. Just my experience.
>>
I went to Tangier from a day trip in Spain; they harassed the shit out of everyone to buy their shit. I walked around with a scowl on my face and didn't get harassed, so I recommend doing that when walking through market places

I saw one Vietnamese-American girl was getting badly harassed by one Moroccan to buy a bag and he wouldn't take no for an answer, so I went over told him to back off and that she wasn't interested and he fucked off. She invited me for dinner and then we fucked, so my time there turned out to be pretty based
>>
>>1123918
>>1123924
Oh great
I'm asking because my sister is going with a group of her girl friends, 2 of whom are a lesbian couple, and she doesn't believe me that it's not safe especially for the dykes
>>
>>1123906
>Is this a safe country for westerners to travel to?

One of the few in North Africa. That should last all of 6 months.
>>
>>1123954
Their relationship is illegal. Whatever people used to think about this country being liberal is from before all the expats moved back home (or died). It's a very restrictive country, and as well as being a worthless second class wrong-sex gender, you're also going to be targeted for attention for not being with a man when out. They need to tone it down and hide that nonsense when there.
>>
>>1123954
when are they going though? If they're going now, it's gonna be hell for them because of Ramadam. You're not allowed to buy any food or drink during the day, even if you're a non-muslim they look at you like shit if you don't follow their customs.
>>
>>1123977
Okay thanks for the info
I told her that women are probably expected to have a male guardian when out and she didn't believe me
>>
>>1123979
Theye going in August
>>
>>1123989
I spent 4 months in Morocco. From my experience befriending Morrocans, the majority of men assume that any Moroccan girl who is out past sun-down without a male relative is automatically a prostitute or slut. They understand that Westerners have different norms, but that makes them believe that all Western girls are essentially "up for it", hence why they get harrased. That said Moroccan women get cat called all the time as well (and the women enjoy it over there, they know how to handle it).
>>
>>1124081
I'll warn them about this
Thanks for the info
>>
If a local gives you any trouble don't try be a hero. Just shout "shooma!" and attract as much attention as possible. The country is pretty dependent on tourism so the government have zero tolerance towards people who give tourists a hard time.

That said I would not recommend visiting if there are no men in your group.

If you're shopping in a market, don't be afraid of haggling. It's actually expected of you.

Also be wary of people (men in particular) offering to help you find the place you're trying to get to. Here's an anecdote:
>Be in Marrakech in the souk with family
>Looking for some museum
>Young lanky guy offers to help find it
>Stupidly we go along with him
>When we get there he starts demanding money
>Give him 5 euro
>He starts complaining saying that 5 euro isn't enough (despite being what the average Moroccan earns in a day) and that we should give him either 10 or nothing
>Tell him to fuck off
>While we're walking around I get an uneasy feeling
>I turn around and see his ratty sandnigger face staring at us in the crowd. Fucker was following us
>>
>>1124367
>the government have zero tolerance towards people who give tourists a hard time.

This is true. At least in Tangier, there's undercover cops in the touristic areas looking out for scammers (they're pretty easy to spot, just some dirty arab randomly approaching a white tourist) and catching them. I saw two aprehensions irl.
>>
>>1123935
>She invited me for dinner and then we fucked
suspect

An how did this transition occur? Did you just put down your fork and say
"That was an excellent steak. Now for the sex."?
>>
>>1123920
tottaly this, that's everything i have experiences
>>
>>1123906
In December I visited Morocco on my own, hitchhiking.

Several people asked me if I was aware of the political state of Morocco, and even if I was trying to provoke harassment, problems and whatnot.

Definetelt I would not recommend for girls to go there, if they haven't been to third world contries where lives might not be worth as much as in the western world, like India or south america.

Safety is relative to any traveller, and how they travel. A couple I befriended recently who was from Argentina went to Morocco in March and April, even that they had planned to stay three months they fled, quoted from their email, after one month and a half.
>>
does this mean the meme that thyre nicer t home befor thyre introduced into the terrible poverty f a fst world nation is finally dying?
>>
>>1124511
>and even if I was trying to provoke harassment, problems and whatnot.

Care to elaborate? Were you doing anything of the sorts? What nation are you from, etc. Anything that might make people think this of you. Dubs checked.

Also what even is the political state of Morocco right now.

OP was replied pretty thoroughly. The lone female thing is not a meme. I don't have much experiences as innately, if I experience something I'm there with the girl and I'm male. I was with a Hungarian girl in Tunisia, but she seemed pretty hardcore for a girl and probably could've dealt with life on her own. She was alone only during daytime though, I spent a night out with her. A local girl from TN told me that she doesn't use the public transport because of harassment, and I believe her.

Lesbianism won't get you far, either.
>>
File: SAM_3055.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
SAM_3055.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
>>1123920
This is only true in touristy areas. I've visited every major city in morocco, and 98% of the country taxi drivers are honest, restaurants are honest, shopkeepers don't give a fuck about you.
but considering OP will probably stay in the touristy areas, this is good advice.
>>
>>1124602
>This is only true in touristy areas. I've visited every major city in morocco, and 98% of the country taxi drivers are honest, restaurants are honest, shopkeepers don't give a fuck about you.

Yes, outside of touristy areas they are great people, super friendly and helpful. But as a tourist you don't really spend a lot of time in those areas. If you travel by train, you will share a cabin with many locals, they will share their food and drink with you, tell you where to go, etc.
>>
>>1124477
She probably just invited him to stay the night dude. Sex isn't that complicated. Being cool and calm is the best way to get laid.
>>
>>1124576
>Also what even is the political state of Morocco right now.

A grinding resentment against the King that is growing. When I was there a couple of years ago some old guy in his 60s said to me, "Tunisia, Egypt and Libya have all had their revolution, when is it going to be Morocco's turn?"
>>
>>1125541

I was there for a whole month just over a year ago, and everything seemed just fine. Has it gotten that bad since then?
>>
>>1125541
Haha, bullshit. Sure, all monarchies are doomed, but it's going to be generations before Morocco does away with theirs.
The current king has been pretty good about handing powers to the people when they ask for them. Any Moroccan will tell you something like "He cares too much about his own wealth, but he has the country's best interests at heart." The only country I've ever been to that has a higher opinion of their king is Oman and their Sultan Qaboos.
>>
>>1125584
I'll add that maybe he's less popular in the south since he's got a monopoly on the mining industry in the Anti-Atlas, and of course everyone in the Western Sahara wishes he'd drop dead.
But people in the south are the kindest and most hospitable in the country, so there's no connection re: safety concerns.
>>
Best way to pick up local chicks?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Servaty

Should I try this?
>>
If you're a bit into travelling and know how to handle the people swarming you everywhere you're fine. Some of them are just genuinely nice, some wanna make sopme money.
>'My best firend'
>'Come with my taxi'
>'You have to sleep at my cousins hotel!'
>'I'll show you around the city'
Anyway for me (as a man) I gotta say it was absolutely safe. NO problem ever. The police is very concerned with keeping the tourists safe. If they see someone talking to you they come and ask if everything is okay, in traffic stops they instantly wave you through if they see you're tourists in the taxi, in the long distance busses they check you less than the moroccans. I guess they have order to make sure tourists feel safe to guarantee that more will come, and it's genuinely nice.

Also in the countryside people are nice, some women won't speak to you because they're not allowed to speak to strangers, but the people are nice.

I remember when our groop of 3 poorfags was camping in front of the huts at mount Toubkal and built a snowman and the cook of one of the huts came out and added a huge, penis to our snowmen.

It's a nice place, wanna go there again soon, next time not hiking/backpacking but rather bikepacking.
>>
>>1125830
>next time not hiking/backpacking

tell me about your experience, how easy was it hitchhiking out there? Did people ask for money once inside the car?
>>
>>1125601
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Servaty
.....sauce?
>>
>>1125891
http://www.imagefap.com/pictures/2509502/Belguel-Scandal-Belgian-Reporter-Morroccan-Wives-DL-Link
>>
File: SAM_3495.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
SAM_3495.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
>>1125834
Not that anon, but I hitchhike whenever I go to morocco. I'd say about 50% of rides expect payment. If you really are a poorfag it's possible to always hitchhike for free; just tell them before you get in the car. Not as intimidating as it sounds.
Overall hitching is very easy as many places have little or no public transport. The hardest part can be saying 'no' to taxi drivers.
>>
>>1125971
Payment should only be between 1 to 4 euro depending on length of journey.
>>
>>1123979

Literally not true, I'm in Morocco right now
>>
>>1123954
LEL.

I would love to hear their experiences when they get back. Silly lesbians will probably pick fights with the catcallers and crowd pinchers

>>1123989
Get ready to order an 'I TOLD YOU SO' cake for when she comes back.

>>1124477
spotted the wizard.
>>
>>1123959

Why 6 months? Fuck
>>
>>1123918
I'm a mulatto with brown skin in the summer they won't harm me. I won't be exotic to them. I did get harassed in Spain though
>>
>>1127480
>I won't be exotic to them.

Yes you will. Believe it or not, they will be able to tell if you're not a local. Half-blacks do not look Arab, and you will neither dress nor speak like a local. The only difference is you'd be considered even lower than a white whore.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.