[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking about visiting several places in the UK next
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: greatbritain.png (4 KB, 260x301) Image search: [Google]
greatbritain.png
4 KB, 260x301
I'm thinking about visiting several places in the UK next month, and I was wondering how many days it would be worth to stay in the places I had in mind. I was thinking of going to London for a few days (which I've been to twice already), then seeing Oxford and/or Cambridge, Bath, Bristol (maybe), Manchester and/or York, and then Edinburgh. I imagine Oxford and Cambridge can be hit in a single day, but what about the others? Should I add some other places that might be better? I wouldn't mind going somewhere with some great nature like the Lakes District, either. Currently living in Paris right now.
>>
>>1119133
Edinburgh requires at least two days, though most of the rest can be done in a day or even half a day. It really depends what kind of pace you want togo, if you want to take a few extra days to just relax in nice places then maybe stay an extra day in York and Bath

How are you travelling? Be aware that the trains are very expensive, and slow if you're going off the beaten track.
>>
>>1119139
Thanks for the advice. Everything you said sounds about right to me.

I haven't really decided yet, but I was thinking about taking the bus. I know it'll probably take quite a long time travelling from place to place, but I imagine it's quite a bit cheaper. Do you agree or should I try some other means of transportation?
>>
Oh, and also -- if I had to choose between Oxford and Cambridge, which is more worth seeing?
>>
>>1119144
Oxford, for sure.

Go to the Lake District for sure, or head down to Cornwall if you have the time.
>>
>>1119143
Bus? It will be cheaper, but long distance buses are pretty horrible and slow. The best thing you could do would be to hire a car, but that depends on having a license of course

>>1119144
Oxford, I suppose. There's not much in Cambridge except the university, whereas Oxford has things like the Ashmolean Museum
>>
>>1119156
Unfortunately, I don't know how to drive manual transmission, which means hiring a car would be a little too expensive for me. Honestly, I have more time than money, so it doesn't bother me if it takes longer.
>>
>>1119160
Definitely use megabus then. It's shitty and slow but it's very cheap, so it's good value for money. They have lots of buses which run regularly and there's a toilet on board, which is better than lots of other bus companies.
>>
>>1119160
you can hire automatics but a coach would be cheaper and probably better too really. Personally I recommend visiting york for a day, wander round sight seeing (mainly cool old buildings/bridges) and visit a few pubs for an ale or ten
>>
Edinburgh is the best place on your list.
Amazing old buildings (the New Town area is older than the USA), very walkable, good food, shopping, night life.
London is dangerous and expensive.
>>
>>1119144

Oh, I dunno. (I live in Oxford, but know Cambridge too). The point is that, given they are the oldest university cities of England, just how different in character they are. Cambridge is prettier, much, much, cleaner, greener, more mellow, and much better ordered - protestant, puritan, rationalism reigns and the legacy of Oliver Cromwell is never far away. Oxford is more chaotic and dirty and disordered and dysfunctional, and not as pretty - it's also more spread out. Yes Oxford has the Ashmolean (and the Pitt Rivers too), and also has an industrial city aspect that Cambridge lacks, but Cambridge has the Fitzwilliam, which, while not quite in the same league, is not to be sniffed at. I don't know that I would recommend one over the other - but I do think Cambridge is more superficially attractive, at least.

Oxford is one place easily reachable by coach ("the Oxford tube" from London is the best one - luxury new double-deck coaches) - in fact when everything is taken into consideration (remote location of Oxford station, inconvenient location of Paddington station in London), it can be not much slower than the train, and very much cheaper.

Of the other places you mention, I think Bath is great, York interesting and Edinburgh too. You could maybe stop off at Durham en route between those two (although maybe admiring the view on the train through there, and in southern Scotland between Berwick and Edinburgh.is already stunning enough)
>>
File: _DSC6852.jpg (970 KB, 1200x798) Image search: [Google]
_DSC6852.jpg
970 KB, 1200x798
If you go to Manchester, definitely check out Liverpool. The city centre is compact and has a few hipster cafes. There is always a free art exhibition at the FACT cinema. The Albert docks have kept their old industrial charm which was a bit lost in renovated Manchester. Nearby is the big museum of Liverpool, but I personally prefer the science museum next to the renovated library, which I also recommend checking out. Little hint: you can go all the way up on the terrace. If you're lucky, sometimes there are markets in the large Saint George's hall, which you can also check out by yourself. Remember that all the museums are free. You can take a boat tour with explanations, but it is overpriced in my opinion. Could be nice to use as a way to cross the Mersey, there is a cycling road on both sides of the river. Check out the bombed out church in the center, now an alternative art squat center. Of course, there is the grand cathedral too, fairly impressive (the architect was in his twenties !). Don't miss the famous Superlambanana, although you'll find numerous reproductions in town. Have some fish (fresh from the Mersey) and chips for dinner and have one of the numerous home-brewed and/or organic beer in one of the animated pubs during a football match evening. The classiest is probably the Philharmonic. Take the train from Central to the Waterloo station (2-3 £ return) and walk on the almost surrealist beach with hundreds of metallic statues looking at the industrial landscape.
Gosh I miss liverpool in my little flat in the city centre...
Have fun OP.
>>
>>1119806
This.

Went to Edinburgh, London, and a few other places last summer. Edinburgh is the /comfy/est city i've ever been to. Going back this summer. Just avoid the severely overpriced souvenirs on the Mile
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.