[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japan emigration/visa. Optimal path?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: adachi time.png (54 KB, 439x452) Image search: [Google]
adachi time.png
54 KB, 439x452
Hey /trv/. I made this thread on /pol/ yesterday and it went about how you would expect from pol.

You see, 2 years ago when I got my job I told myself i'd try to save $5000 to begin my dream of going to Japan. I picked up a second job in 2015 and worked relentlessly, about 40 hours a week. I didn't buy a car, walked home (i'm 90 minutes from work walk-wise) and cut my spending to just food and bus tickets.

Now, 2 years later, i'm finally at my $5000 personal goal. What a ride.

So, now I want to "begin" my journey. I'll soon quit my two jobs but I need to figure out where to go from here. How do I get to Japan work-wise?

As far as I know, these are my ONLY options:
*Join the navy/military and hope to get stationed in japan. If not, they'll pay for your 4 year bachelor's degree when you get out

*Move out of America and go somewhere else to get a bachelor's degree. A bachelor's degree is a requirement for Japan work visa's and the only workaround is marriage or 10 year work experience

*Get married to someone in Japan. This is the only workaround to the bachelor's degree requirement that I know about

*Get a student visa and acquire your student loan in Japan. What could possibly go wrong?

--

I can finally begin my life at $5000, I just need to know the most optimal route going forward..

Any experience, /trv/?
>>
>>1117713

Don't quit your jobs until you've got another job lined up (or a place at a university for your bachelors).

Have you actually been to Japan yet? Why not travel there first and figure out if the country is the way you expected it to be.
>>
>>1117713
>*Join the navy/military and hope to get stationed in japan. If not, they'll pay for your 4 year bachelor's degree when you get out
You could try this. Seems kinda like a waste of the past 2 years though. Maybe if you took a vacation there with the money then joined the military after you knew for sure you were making the right choice?

>*Move out of America and go somewhere else to get a bachelor's degree. A bachelor's degree is a requirement for Japan work visa's and the only workaround is marriage or 10 year work experience
Why not in America?

>*Get married to someone in Japan. This is the only workaround to the bachelor's degree requirement that I know about
Come on now.

>*Get a student visa and acquire your student loan in Japan. What could possibly go wrong?
Do you speak Japanese?
>>
>>1117720
>Why not travel there first

I was saving up for a 14 day trip.

However. Do you think I will go to japan for 14 days, spend $3000, come back, and say "Holy crap that was awesome and totally worth 2 years of suffering. Now let's do 2 more years of suffering to make our 5k back"

Probably not. I'll probably be exhausted, give up my dream, and buy a car and settle down. Right now, this might actually be a "once in a lifetime chance" to reach my dream for real. I have to double down on it while I can.

>>1117730
>Why not in America?

Let's see...a bachelor's degree in Germany costs $0. And a bachelor's degree in America costs $300,000 and enslaves you for the rest of your life.

Hmmmm. I think it's an easy choice. Go to the country with an actual affordable education.
>>
>>1117748
Is a bachelor's degree in Germany free for non-EU citizens too?

And do you speak any other language besides English?
>>
>>1117752
>Is a bachelor's degree in Germany free for non-EU citizens too?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1191281&page=2

Yeah, Americans can go to germany and get their degree for free.

Dorm fees still apply, and some anon told me something about needing to pay 800 to the government for each month you stay upfront and they'll pay it back overtime or something. I need to know more about that little detail.

I can speak spanish and english. Of course, i'd have to learn German going the Germany route, but i'd only ever use that german for 4 years so it's not something i'll invest too much into.

My plan in the Germany route is to go to the college and take Japanese courses at the german school of my choice while getting my bachelor's at the same time.

I'll have to take a part time job while being a student of course too--that's a given.
>>
>>1117756

I'm German and honestly, studying at a German uni is a bad idea, unless you're fluent in German. A lot of them don't offer courses in English, so you will have to know German. There's a few that offer English courses but you gotta have good grades to get in since space is limited. Also our courses are basically a full time job, you won't have much time to work on the side to make money and 5000 dollars isn't gonna last you four years. It's a problem that a lot of German students are complaining about, since they can't do university and work at the same time, so they have to take out loans and get indebted.

If you're really gonna go through with this, try to get to Dusseldorf or the area though, since there's a large Japanese community in Dusseldorf and a good place to learn Japanese and even find native Japanese for conversation and practice.
>>
so why Japan out of all places?
>>
>>1117748
> $300000
Now THAT'S some exaggeration if I've ever seen it.
>>
>>1117748

>"Holy crap that was awesome and totally worth 2 years of suffering. Now let's do 2 more years of suffering to make our 5k back"

Do you really think that working in Japan won't magically be suffering just because you're in Japan instead of America? If you're not sent over there as an expat working under Western working conditions, but instead work there under Japanese working conditions it's gonna be much more suffering than working in the States or in Europe.
>>
>>1117814
Pretty much this.

OP, go get a reality check on how life as a worker actually is in Japan.
>>
>>1117748
>Let's see...a bachelor's degree in Germany costs $0. And a bachelor's degree in America costs $300,000 and enslaves you for the rest of your life.
>Hmmmm. I think it's an easy choice. Go to the country with an actual affordable education.
As germanon (indirectly) said, going to college in a different country is not "$0" and thinking flying over to Germany is the magic solution that will make all the expenses of higher education disappear is silly. Dont you think it's odd that foreign exchange students' parents are generally well off, whereas kids going to state school after going to cc are usually from a working class background?

I can only assume you havent really done much research and don't really plan to since you ignored my other questions about the practicality of your plans. All i can say is hopefully you do your due dilligence before you piss away 5gs on a half baked plan. Shit takes patience and Japan's not going anywhere.
>>
>>1117809
It's Japan. You know the answer.
>>
I gotta say I love where your heads at OP and I'm pretty proud of you for saving up that 5k.

Don't let that '2 years of suffering' go to waste. Put in some more hard work and do all the research you possibly can to make sure everything goes right.

I do kinda hope you actually might fall in love in Japan and get married and get that visa part out of the way but holy shit the chances? Yeah...

And I don't even believe in marriage.

Good luck.
>>
>Wanting to work in Japan, on the most stressful working conditions
>Not wanting to visit the country first
>Not speaking *and writing* Japanese
is this nigga serious
>>
>>1117928
>>1117809

It's weird, if it were ANY other country it would be difficult to draw any conclusions about the OP's character. He might be a hippy, but probably he'd just be a normal guy looking to try something new.

Since he wants to move to JAPAN, though, we can instantly create a portrait of him in our brains. We can also be 99% certain what his reasons and motivations for going to Japan are.
>>
>>1118021
Ever heard of teaching english? You're expected and desired to NOT speak Japanese. You work western-style hours, and as long as you're in a big city, people will speak English and your foreign-ness counters the language barrier.

*assuming you're white
*assuming you have a bachelors degree (which the OP does not)
>>
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS OP
>>
>>1118029
Weird?
It's fucking 4chan nigger! We know the kind of Japan fans this place attracts! May not be everyone, but certainly the majority is just like the kind we know! So no, it's not fucking weird.

>>1118031
No, you're desired NOT to speak Japanese WHILE IN THE CLASSROOM TEACHING ENGLISH.
Do you think Japanese people you interact with on your daily life will just say "Oh, you teach English? So you don't need to speak nor read Japanese!"
FFS!
>>
>>1118047
I've been living here for 9 months with only basic Japanese. I hang out Japanese people who know English, and other foreigners. I've never been in a situation where i NEEDED to know advanced Japanese. Being fluent would be helpful I'm sure, but only megaweebs study for years BEFORE going to the country. Coming here with basic knowledge and improving through immersion is ideal.
>>
>>1118071

>Coming here with basic knowledge and improving through immersion is ideal.

Ideal would be going in with advanced knowledge, but having basic knowledge is already good. OP doesn't seem to know any Japanese at all though.
>>
>>1118075
Specially if you're aiming to live and work there.
If you're just a tourist (weebo or not), having a basic knowledge (even if you have to look up in a phrase book) can be seen as a sign of respect and interest for the country's culture.
Going with zero knowledge and thinking you're awesome is just some Real Travelerâ„¢ BS.
>>
>>1118075
I agree.

I'm just saying, there's practically no situation in which you have "advanced" Japanese before going to Japan. I don't think anybody, foreign or Japanese, expects you to be really good at the language when you arrive. There's an expectation that you do try to learn, but you don't have to if you really don't want to. When I lived in Korea I didn't learn much Korean, and the only people who gave me shit were elitist foreigners who'd been living there 5+ years.
>>
>>1118085
>When I lived in Korea I didn't learn much Korean, and the only people who gave me shit were elitist foreigners who'd been living there 5+ years.

That reminds me of the time I went to China with a Chinese guy (who had lived in Germany his whole life). The Chinese kept giving him shit for not knowing his own language properly, saying he was a disgrace, but were really excited that I knew a few basic phrases and would help me learn new words. If you're a foreigner, most people will be happy that you're at least trying to speak their language, since most tourists don't even bother.
>>
>>1118085
how do you know nobody ever talked shit in Korean?
>>
>>1117713
>2 years later, i'm finally at my $5000 personal goal
Seriously? Are you collecting bottle caps? How does it take two years to save $5k when its all you're doing?
>>
>>1117713
>I can finally begin my life at $5000, I just need to know the most optimal route going forward..

I don't know how to break it to you, but that's how much I'm going to spend there this summer in about 6 weeks, it's not nearly enough for

Having a positive cash balance is good, but it's not going to help you at all by itself trying to move to japan.

The number one requirement is to have a job, and it's 'almost' impossible since most job postings require that you already have a working visa.

Playing the navy/marines lottery probably wont pay out, but free education is cool.

Speaking of which, a bachelors significantly helps, so does speaking/writing proper japanese.

Anyway, 5k usd is not going to be enough to drop everything you have and go, especially if you have zero experience living there previously.
>>
OP can you speak Japanese? Unless you're going over there as an English teacher, you'll probably need some high level on the JLPT. Plus you have to have way more money saved up because you need a place to live, etc. $5k is going to go fast, especially if that includes general travel expenses

I saw you post this on /pol/ a few days, and it wasn't that bad, there was some legit advice. You just got offended that you didn't hear what you wanted. Do you really want to gtfo to Japan because you love the people, the culture, etc or are you just trying to runaway?
>>
>>1118712
Well, in the "Life in Japan" book i've been reading, the author says the best option is to go there on a vacation and take interviews during your vacation.

Yeah, it's technically against the rules because you're not supposed to job search on a tourist visa, but apparantly people do it anyway.
>>
Can we already assume that OP won't be coming back here because we're not giving him the answers he wants and let this thread die already?
Remember to sage!
>>
File: adachimas.png (59 KB, 439x452) Image search: [Google]
adachimas.png
59 KB, 439x452
OP here

work has been scheduling me endless hours and 0 days off so i haven't had a lot of time to check in the thread.

I know the basic fundamentals of Japanese and understand it's concept. I do need to learn grammar and such but i've barely had the time to because I work so much.

The german school is a bad idea? So what, the Navy path is the only viable one? FFS

By the way, someone at my work says they came to America on a program that cost $2,500 but allowed them to work in America for a while. Is there an equivilant program for Japan that isn't JET? Oh, but such a program would probably require a bachelor's wouldn't it.
>>
>replying to a thread that literally begins with "Hi, I'm a troll from /pol/."

FFS, /trv/ you used to be smarter than this,
>>
>>1117713

5k in 2 years? mate that's my monthly salary. what kind of shitty job do you have?
also, you should really go there for 2-3 weeks for holidays before even slightly considering to move.
Japan is awesome but life there is not like in Animes and Mangas. Most people dont give a shit about weeb stuff.
What kind of expectations do you have from there? that its a magical place where all your dreams come true in no time? that girls will try to pick you up on every corner? where crazy stuff happens everywhere you go?
you will be very diappointed.

My flight there is on Sunday btw. Second time this year.
>>
>>1118453
Koreans usually just talk about how amazing your korean is when you say hello and please give me x. That or talk about how scary you are in korean. Waygook is all you ever pick up.
>>
5k is enough for your plane and train ride directly to the forrest you wish to make your final destination
>>
>>1117713
$5k is enough and more than enough to apply and receive a working holiday visa for.

You dont need a bachelor degree to teach english in Japan on a working holiday visa, but if you want to get a work visa after that expires and re-enter to stay longer you will I think, even with the experience.

I have a degree an am going on working holiday visa (theyre very easy to get).
>>
>>1119453
>What kind of expectations do you have from there? that its a magical place where all your dreams come true in no time? that girls will try to pick you up on every corner? where crazy stuff happens everywhere you go?

Not really.

But I want the god-tier culture/atmosphere of a place like Kyoto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd1wzlwtKJ0
>>
>>1119547
>You dont need a bachelor degree to teach english in Japan on a working holiday visa, but if you want to get a work visa after that expires and re-enter to stay longer you will I think, even with the experience.

What if I don't WANT to teach english in japan?

Are working holiday visa's available for other occupations?
>>
>>1119556
AFAIK, mighty nippon don't issue working visas for burgerlanders.
It was something about reciprocity (I guess burgerland don't issue working visas for mighty nippon).

Anyway, your options are:
-work for a firm that have a branch in mighty nippon and try an internal transfer
-try to get a job as a burgerland lingo teacher (though you'll likely need a degree)
-try to convince some firm to hire you and deal with the visa stuff (normal job seeking process, though you'll be doing it for another country)
-find a better job, save a few hundred thousands of burgermoney and get an invertos' visa from mighty nippon (or something like that. They have a visa for people shitting money that are willing to invest in their magical land)
-illegal immigration
-military, I guess?
>>
>>1119556
A working holiday visa you can take any job in Japan that doesn't conflict with public morals (so no working in bars iirc), other than that, most any job that you can do you can take, and you don't need the job before you go there.
>>
>>1117748
College is never truly free, anon.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.