[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Work offer from Bangkok
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: bangkokoffice.jpg (58 KB, 777x437) Image search: [Google]
bangkokoffice.jpg
58 KB, 777x437
Hi /trv/, mods please delete this thread if it doesn't belong here.

I got job offer today from Scandinavian company which has office at Bangkok (registered as its own company). Office is small and workers are mainly from europe/west.
I'm currently happily employed with 3200eur/month salary and I like my job. Maybe some assholes at office but there will always be. I'm 28 and got no debt or wife etc.
However I really crave for experience working abroad and especially Asia is continent which I love.
Offered job itself seems to be interesting and company offered me 1900eur/month salary which is pretty big drop for me if compared by scandinavian living standards. Tax rate is only 5-7% and apartments in Bangkok seem to be cheap (300-500e/month)

TL;DR wtf I do, want to go work abroad but would have step back at salary and maybe career path in current country

Are there roaming any Bangkok expats which could give me insight would this kind swap be it worth it? I have read expat forums and there everybody says you can live like king with 2k€.

I have been trip to Thailand, Cambodia for 1 month last year and really want to go back. Maybe Bangkok itself didn't make big impression but evrything else did.
>>
For the experience, I'd say worth it. Career/financially some things to consider. Do plan on making your current employer a career? Though the salary is less, could you save more/have more disposable income in Bangkok? Are there opportunities for advancement with new company? If not, can you easily find another job should this one not work out for you?
>>
Check if the cost of life in BKK is less than half of your current cost of life.
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/
If it's, no need to think, just go.
If it isn't, then you start thinking whether it's worth the downgrade or not.
>>
File: 1600-thb-a-month.jpg (25 KB, 450x336) Image search: [Google]
1600-thb-a-month.jpg
25 KB, 450x336
>>1115830
There is possibility I could build good career at current company but its not precisely my goal. Experiencing new things is my goal and living abroad is one of them.
I doubt that I could get that much to my savings account from Bangkok job probably would live mediocre life at least.

>>1115834
Thats good tool and it shows that prices are about half of what they are here.

I'm probably going for the experience, I can always come back and try again here. Toughts of vacations and weekend trips Laos, Vietnam and Myanmar are so tempting.

BTW if somebody else is interested in expating at Bangkok I found good blog about Bangkok lige here:
https://www.karstenaichholz.com/money/cost-of-living-in-bangkok/
>>
what's your current job?

I'd say take the offer
>>
>>1115819
thaifag here,
1900€ is about 76,000 bht, with that you can live a decent life.
rent in the most expensive area (Sukhumvit) is 800€ for a 60sq.m. apartment with 2 bedrooms.
there are cheaper but this price is walking distance from the stations.
you can go anywhere from there with BTS (sky train or whatever you wanna call it)

house maid is about 3000 bht/month, she would come twice a week cleaning your room.

yep, with 1900€ you can live in the best part of the city, have a house maid, eat at restaurants every meal and have some money for nightlife and weekend trips.
>>
>>1115852
I'm system administrator so IT. New job would be more devops thing so that part interests me as well
>>
>>1115872
I'm living alone so small but clean apt would be nice. Having maid sounds a bit luxus for me.

800€ would be a bit too much. Some flat with 30-50sqm sounds fine.

I have searched some apts from huai khwang area as the office is nearby that area. Do you think condo like this would be realistic or a scam?

http://www.ddproperty.com/en/property/charming-apartment-on-rama-ix-fo-rentr-2503280
Anyway thanks mate
>>
>>1115969
that price is quite correct but you need to visit or at least ask the name and address of the condo, it maybe far from the main road, you'd have to take bike-taxi each time you go out.
the area is very noisy at night, lots of clubs and massage parlor (that kind of massage)

I'd say not a bad location if the condo is not far from Ratchadaphisek Rd or MRT station.
>>
Your money goes a lot further in Thailand. How much can you set aside every month where you are now?

How much will you be able to set aside in BKK? This is all that really matters. Im assuming that even with the drop in wage you'll be better of financially. So definitely go for it
>>
>>1115819
Your money goes further until you eat nonthai food. I had a pigs knuckle today, 350 baht. I had a burrito yesterday, 260 baht. A coffee not at Starbucks 80 baht. Eat Thai food and your budget will be fine, but once away from Thai food, its not as cheap.

You can live fine on 2000, but you are not going to live like a king.
>>
>>1115972
Yeah, probably go to see first before rent. I will stay at some cheap hostel/hotel and look a round. Pictures may not always match reality

>>1116141
I put 250€ aside every month and probably could get same amount with new jobs salary If I clean by myself, cook, eat thai restaurants and restrict clubbing. I also dump "leftovers" of every months salary to savings which changes from 0-500€
I do have to make some calculations with numbeo and spreadsheets

>>1116201
Funny, I had burrito here with 10€ (400 baht). That is pretty minimum and usual price for restaurant lunch here. You can get coffee here at same price
>>
>>1116571
It may be the typical price back home, so it doesn't seem expensive in that regard, but remember how much less you are making
>>
>>1116697
True, electronics and other stuff is probably same price in Bangkok than here. With smaller salary I have to restrict Starbucks etc that kind of things
>>
>>1115963
I'm same age and Swedish, but with education and a bit of debt. Game and IT.

I think you can better around Asia if you are willing to spend hours researching. I trust wouldn't trust Thai companies, but if it's a Scandinavian office with decent career prospects it might be safer.

I'm just recently done with my visa business and I'm leaving for a Chinese company next week. They're paying me $50k yearly (~3750€ monthly). Chinese cities are more expensive but I'm sure my chances of saving money is better than with half the money in Thailand.

Other than that, good for your decision. I hope you will enjoy living abroad as much as I have.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.