[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going to Liberia: Monrovia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Monrovia.png (138 KB, 520x452) Image search: [Google]
Monrovia.png
138 KB, 520x452
>Traveling to Monrovia
>Thinking about bringing food for the extremely poor communities throughout the capital.
> also considering doing this as a resource for the locals.
>need better supply chains for bulk food and dry goods.
> I need some help to get this going
>>
File: 1461624103975.png (137 KB, 817x626) Image search: [Google]
1461624103975.png
137 KB, 817x626
>>1113288
>chocolate city
>>
They eat people there, son. That's not even scare-mongering, the warlords all boast about it. Getting RealTraveller cred is fine, but consider less cannibalistic places.
>>
>>1113293
No serious, I cant bring them chocolate! But other recommendations?
>>
>>1113294
OK where do you recommend I travel too?
>>
>>1113288
There are actually people doing stuff like this, as I surely hope you know:
http://m.wfp.org/countries/liberia/overview

If you were seriously interested in doing this, I would recommend trying, as the WFP does to a very small extent, to build your supply chains locally. Dumping a bunch of subsidized cornmeal amd peanuts from the US and palm oil from Malaysia on hungry Africans relieves immediate starvation (of which I'm not sure there is that much in Liberia at the moment except maybe among relocated people running away from Ebola), but does little to promote structural resilience to prevent future famine. So what you need is not a cheap source of mass quantities of ramen, but relationships with Liberian farmers. And jobs for the urban poor.
>>
>>1113297
>http://m.wfp.org/countries/liberia/overview
Thank you for the resource link.
I am still curious about sustainable farming or some kind of stationary grow operation. Using recycled gray water and hydroponic systems.
> just rambling my thoughts
>>
>>1113298
This is not something an individual can do alone. You need an organization, money, and most importantly, good relationships with locals. Also, ideally, disaster relief experience and skills, not just "willingness to backpack in very poor countries," which is worse than useless. Do you have these?

Also, now is probably not the time to visit Liberia, as there is still an active Ebola outbreak: http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/liberia-guinea-flareups-update/en/
>>
>>1113301
OK ok ok ok Keep em coming.. I am now lurking reading
>>
>>1113336
One last random thought... I don't want you to think that your ideas are not worth pursuing.

Walking around Liberia handing out food, frankly, probably isn't worth pursuing. Big, well-financed outfits with better infrastructure and networks than you've probably got (including the WFP, Save the Children, and at least five or six other big INGOs) are doing things like that already.

But some kind of sustainable local agriculture project could actually be worth something, if it actually works in the local context. Do local people want and need what you're offering (does it grow locally appropriate crops? Is the technology easy for local farmers to master)? Can they sustain it? Can they maintain the equipment forever, and/or replace it when something breaks? Is someone already doing it? Is someone available to pay for it (assume local farmers have near zero cash of their own to hand out)? Will local (maybe county-level, in Liberia's case) governments support it?

If you already know the answers to these questions, you may have a successful startup social enterprise or a development project on your hands. If you don't know the answers to these questions, get them first. I've worked for both agricultural social enterprises before, and for big international development projects, and just making up a solution to a problem abroad and forcing it on a local population never ends well, even if you bring the money to pay for it. Locals have to value it and want to do it if it has any hope of long-term success. And even that's not guaranteed--plenty of well-intentioned, well-received projects shrivel up and die when the foreign money runs out.

Good luck! And that's all I've got to say--others with advice should chime in if they like.
>>
>>1113298
Lol locals will just sell your set up for scrap as soon as you turn your back
>>
>>1113294
the civil war ended ages ago son.
>>
>>1113377
Also wouldn't yo have to try to find a market to sell to?

Like the U.S and Europe are huge markets but penetrating them is fucking hard because big regulations. Safety regulations are fine but there are others that are really obtrusive as fuck and designed to prevent foreign competition.

Like local markets are fine but hitting it big and on equal terms instead of getting fucked over are ideal but baby steps.

>>1113387
If you are shitty at it then maybe but many programs and NGO's have set up successful as fuck ventures and assistance that went a huge way to promoting financial independence.

To use a missionary example there's a difference between baptizing people and handing out free bibles then whisking away over say a catholic priest staying in the community and teaching Christianity and providing spiritual services and communicating with the parish.
>>
>>1113411
Certainly would need a market if your goal is promotion of export/sales oriented agriculture. But if local production for food security (household consumption and/or local markets), that's less of a concern. The WFP's work includes a market access component. And the best agriculture projects I've personally been involved in have had a retailer or food company as a partner, so market linkage has been central.
>>
Why Liberia? I understand it had an amazing history but these days I don't think anything is left of that or preserved well enough.

You just want to go and feed people? They aren't ducks at the pond.
>>
RIP OP destined to be eaten by feral niggers
>>
>>1113455
>They aren't ducks at the pond
More like monkeys in a zoo
>>
>>1113455
Because then he could tell girls he feeds Africans and they will want to slob his knob for his RealTraveler status.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.