[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't speak French at all and I will be going to Quebec
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: celine dion.jpg (61 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
celine dion.jpg
61 KB, 499x499
I don't speak French at all and I will be going to Quebec soon. Will that be ok? I've heard how some locals there dislike English-speakers. Is that true?
>>
>>1112499
They have a very good average level of english.
They mostly dislike uncorrect anglicisms (although they commit a lot themselves), and seing their language replaced.
>>
>>1112499
That's will be okay.
Just learn some french words for show them you respect their culture.
>>
>>1112499
They all speak a reasonable amount of English, they just pretend they don't
>>
>>1112523
In Montreal, they absolutely can speak English. Will they always? IME, generally yes they will. You shouldn't have problems. I routinely tried to use my shitty French and was always answered in English. YMMV.

However, there are little inbred French hick towns deeper in Quebec where people really don't speak much English. Sure they learn it in school, but they have as much use for it as the average inbred hick towns in Saskatchewan need French. How sour people are about outsiders not knowing French really varies -- I've met some real self-absorbed arrogant shitstains who gave me grief, but they're few and far between. Even in hick towns, mostly they just give a little resigned sigh and speak Tarzan French for you, or if they're really nice then Tarzan English.

Anyway, it's Canadians that they primarily throw shade at. They don't care too much that non-Canadian tourists don't speak their version of French.
>>
>>1112546
>it's Canadians that they primarily throw shade at
Not op. I never get this culture. Can anyone please explain it?
>>
If you stick to cities and towns with tourism industries, you will be fine. If you go to some backwater mill or mining town, you might have some issues. For the most part Anglo money is more important than Franco pride.

>>1112565
Better topic for /int/, but, Canada is supposedly bilingual. French and English are to be considered equal. If you speak French in BC, you have the right to only deal with French speaking police, or put your kids in a french school. It doesn't really work the other way around because French has special status in Quebec.

Some French are upset that the languages aren't as equal in practice as they are in law. So they don't fault Americans for not knowing French, because they aren't from a bilingual country. But they think every English Canadian is supposed to know as much French as the French know English.
>>
>>1112499
>Is that true?
Unless you go in welfarefest places like Hochelaga-Maisonneuve in Montreal or the bad spots of St-Roch in Quebec City it's pretty unlikely. You might run into the odd separatist dipshit who thinks he still lives in the 70s but I wouldn't bet on it.

Except in Montreal and near borders of the US, Ontario and New-Brunswick, English isn't really widely spoken but you'll probably get by without too many problems.
>>
OP,

Just start every conversation with "excusez-moi, parlez-vous anglais?"

I know very little French apart from that but absolutely everyone was cool with me because I'd bothered to learn that sentence and was respectful. Occasionally I'd try another sentence or two and it always went down well.

It's true, I hear, that Quebecers don't like it when people just say "hey buddy, you speak English?" This goes for France, too. To be fair, I don't blame them. French is the language of Descartes, Sartre, Pascal, Voltaire, Proust and many other great figures... if I was French I'd probably also think "the least you can do is learn one sentence in French while you're in a French-speaking country" and be a dick to you if you don't.
>>
I was under the impression that most Quebecers just dislike Ango-Canadians. When I said I was from the states they treated me a lot better than when they thought I was form Ontario.
>>
We generally dislike people (anglos or not) who come here and show no respect for our culture. The fact that you speak English, French or whatever else has nothing to do with it. Some condescending parisians often give us a hard time despite our common language, everyone here knows that.

As some previous anons noted, knowing a few basic words of French can go a long way, just like anywhere on the planet. That being said, everyone speaks at least some english here. Don't act like you own the fucking place - yelling in a restaurant will guarantee you bad service. Smile and people will smile back at you, and will be friendly. Don't come here with a colonialist mindset, we've had more than our share in the past. Don't be upset when you see american brand names translated to French - I'm sure a company like Café Starbucks see it as a pretty small price to pay to make money here, even though some americans simply can't swallow that name.

Every anglo-Canadian and american I know who was excited to visit Montréal for the first time had a terrific time and can't wait to come back. People who approach the city and the province with a negative mindset will always find ways to hate it.
>>
I have never felt myself more welcome in any other western country than i felt myself in Quebec

I'm from Finland and I only speak couple phrases of really shitty French but nobody was offended by that at all, all i got was just a couple friendly laughs and maybe a joke or two but nobody meant anything bad

Everyone was so welcoming and friendly to me that I can't wait until I can return on a longer trip and maybe this time even get to learn a bit French

Je vous remercie, des gens merveilleux du Québec
>>
>>1113448
>les gens merveilleux
;)
>>
>>1112499
Nearly everyone in Montreal speaks English. there are like 4 universities in the city, and most have out of province students.

>Chad coworker spent 4 years at university in Montreal
>can't speak French

>>1112546
this
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.