[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
California
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
What are some great non-touristy things to do when visiting California? I've been to Venice Beach, rode the rides on Santa Monica pier, and seen the Grand Canyon. While I'd do all these things again in a heartbeat, I'd like this trip to be a little different. I'll be in Long Beach for a week in August.
>>
slab city, if that's something you can like
>>
Check out the Museum of Death
>>
Orange Empire Railway Museum in Perris on the far Eastern outskirts of LA.

They have all kinds of rail stuff on display, but their star attraction is their collection of LA-area streetcars, many of which are operational and do trips around the grounds.
>>
>>1109691
Go to Pismo Beach for a day or two. It's nice and they have a place called Splash Cafe where they sell pretty good clam chowder in a bread bowl unless you're from a New England and have an elitist attitude on clam chowder
>>
>non-touristy

Uhh. Well, from what you listed I think Yosemite Nat Park would be a pretty different experience although that is touristy as fuck...
>>
>>1109846
Call in advance to Splash cafe and place your order. There's always a line around the block (and it's stayed that way for years and years.) Likewise the chowder's the only decent thing imo.
>>
>>1109666
>seen the Grand Canyon
>California

there's plenty of tourist spots that aren't super crowded and fun to visit

>hearst castle
>winchester mystery house

The coast around sausalito/cayucas is not very crowded and beautiful, it's basically wine country on the beach

The redwoods/yosemite/joshua tree/shasta will have a lot of tourists but it's so spread out it doesn't matter
>>
>>1109666
Off-roading in Death Valley, but only if you're not a dumbass and end up like that German family who thought they could just drive a mini-van into an abandoned canyon and only brought beer and wine with them to drink.
>>
>>1109666
Grand Canyon is in Arizona, bub.

Long Beach sucks and I hate it. The Queen Mary is pretty cool, though (a bit touristy), and Disneyland isn't that far (the definition of touristy, but I still love it). Get yourself north to LA proper and visit the Arts District, Silverlake/Echo Park, Downtown. See some art shows (there's always some free ones around), some live music (fucking everywhere). Norton Simon, Huntington Library, or one of a billion other art places. Ace Hotel in Downtown or Palm Springs?
>>
>>1109846
I'm originally from New England but I live in San Luis Obispo now, even I can say their chowder is pretty good
>>
>>1109666
go to Oxnard, California. That place is pretty sweet, between, LA, and Santa Barbara.
>>
Visit the aquarium of the pacific (Obviously while youre down in Long Beach) this is sort of touristy

But THEN!
Head up to Inglewood and Century and grab yourself a qorld famous Chocolate-Banana Malt at Mel-Os in Lennox then take inglewood up until arbor vitae make a left and turn right on la cienega until you get to manchester and enjoy a world famous Randys Donut... From there head up to Sonny McLeans in Santa Monica and experience the most authentic Irish Pub outside of ireland (better than anything I ever experienced in Boston)

The next day wake up early and get a ferry to Catalina for like 150-200 bucks you and your party can drink all day and hang out on the island gamble and stuff

You can head down to SD if you like and hang out at hillcrest all day and eat food and then hit east village/Gaslamp and drink and end the night with Ghirardellis

Other than that theres all the aerospace museums in palmdale/lancaster

The Cowboy movie museums in Santa Clarita or Bakersfield

Whatever playing at the pantages theatre during that time

Six Flags has some of the craziest coasters in the country and isnt as touristy as most over theme parks in so cal

You could head up to Sequoia/Yosemite/Lake Tahoe/Big Bear etc. For hiking, fishing, nature etc

Mt high/Big Bear/Mammoth/Bishop are all good snow locations

If you go more towards inyo/mono/eastern Kern counties they have a lot of that gold rush 1800s type places to visit

A really good place I recommend in the polic museum in Highland park off of York it used to be the hq for the Northeast division of the LAPD which is now in Glendale city limits (ironically) they have some interesting shit there

East LA has a lot of chicano culture as well but I dont really recommend that if you have a family as its pretty dangerous

Im Partially hispanic and I dont like going there either

You could head to olvera street during the day in downtown which is touristy but not overly so... Just really bummy
>>
If you're in Southern California then I know a few places.

-Griffith observatory (not too touristy and very much an educational experience)
-Huntington Library and Gardens
-Arcadia Arboretum (if you're into that)
-Huntington beach is beautiful! Fashion Island nextdoor in Newport is ritzy.
-Eat some of the best Californian PHO at Golden Deli in San Gabriel and get some bubble tea at Half and Half
>>
>>1111837
i envy you so much m8. I live in cold contry.
>>
>>1111064
I support this message as a native resident of Marin. North Coast a best.
>>
>>1111849
don't fall for this trap. Oxnard is one of the worst cities in southern california. If youre going to Ventura County go to Ojai (really cool scenery) or Simi Valley to see the Reagan Library
>>
>>1111849
Don't go to Oxnard, even though it's filled with Mexicans I've never had good Mexican food there.

In Ventura County, do take the PCH towards LA and have food at Neptune's Net. We always get steamed shrimp and a bracket of fried stuff.

Do go to the thrift stores on Main Street in Ventura. Also on Santa Clara, is the Patagonia Clothing HQ, and the Cheap Sports Store, which has lots of discounted Patagonia stuff.

Simi Valley has the Regan library, where at minimum you can go and see the Berlin Wall.

Just South of Oxnard on the PCH, is Point Mugu Peak. There is a trail to the summit, and not only is it a good workout, its just beautiful. Up and down is a bit less than two hours, if you take the scenic route.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.