[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bringing a PC abroad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 11-139-024-TS.jpg (22 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
11-139-024-TS.jpg
22 KB, 640x480
I'm looking to bring my PC from my home in the UK to where I'm going to be staying in Canada for a few years, whats the best method to get my PC there? Should I send it by mail or is it feasible to bring it in a checked bag?
>>
>>1108556
you're going to mail it. I wouldn't trust an airline to my rig
>>
>>1108634
Why not? because sometimes your bag can go missing?
>>
>>1108638
Because they throw your stuff around from the second you check it in till baggage claim no fucks given.
Depending on which airport you fly to the ground crew might throw it from the plane or drop it a few times to/from the plane...
>>
>>1108640
Ah yeah, I would use a hard shell case, along with a ton of packaging. I just feel its going to be cheaper this way, and also I'll have it as soon as I get off the plane, which is another bonus.

I dunno, still trying to figure out my options.
>>
>>1108643
That would still mean to disassemble the whole PC as there's a shitload of parts that can't take a drop even with good packing (CPU cooler, graphic cards and non ssd drives...) and on top customs might pick your PC apart just because it looks suspicious on the xray, cables and stuff always trigger the could be a bomb warning.

Mail it has the bonus: you might pay a bit more but you can insure your package and they actually take care of the stuff as they pre scan it and will store it in a secure container.
>>
>>1108648
I plan to disassemble it anyway, packing everything individually inside the case to be rebuilt when I get there.
>>
I've put my PC (including LCD) in my checked luggage from the US to Europe to Canada back to the US and didn't have any issues. If you mail it and insure the package, they will likely make you pay import duties based on the value you insured it for.
>>
>>1108655
not a big factor, but no duties if you are not selling/buying. you can carry your stuff around.
>>
>>1108672
I don't know. I had an experience where FedEx refused to deliver a package until I paid them back for the import duty they paid. Don't know why I didn't fight it but I just really needed my stuff.
>>
>>1108674
>FedEx refused to deliver a package until I paid them back for the import duty they paid
If they paid anything, then you're going to have to pay them back, that makes sense. I would have thought it would be held by customs until you paid but maybe you ticked some weird boxes on your postal form.

You probably need to then apply for a refund from customs.

>>1108556
OP, FWIW, I've had a boss put a server into checked luggage (after being explicitely warned not to) and it never worked again. Anything kind of heavy like a CPU cooler can break off and bounce around and smash shit up.

So, either disassemble heavy stuff and pack individually in a suitcase or take the case as carryon. That's usually fine, I've done it a few times. Obviously fuck-off huge cases might not fit in overhead lockers and therefore you can't take them unless you're business class or something.

Personally, I back up to USB drive and put that in my luggage, then take the hard-drives out and put them in my carryon, then I'd do whatever with the case, probably take out the video card and CPU cooler and then put it in checked luggage. Video card and heat sink can still go in luggage but wrapped up by themselves so they don't cause trouble. Redoing the thermal paste isn't a big deal once you get to the other end. Pack some thermal paste too if you like and maybe the shit you need to clean the old stuff off etc.
>>
>>1108693
I have a huge ass case so its not going on my carry on. I plan to disassemble everything and pack it all inside the case tight with a ton of packaging and bubble wrap so nothings going to bounce around.

I think I've decided to take it by checked baggage, I just hope they don't think its a bomb of something.
>>
Why don't you just bring the hard drive, pack the motherboard+processor+ram+videocard in bubble wrap and buy a shitty case, powersuppy and cooling system in the UK. it will all fit in the luggage and you can cushion with clothing.
>>
>>1108696
Do a backup obviously, then take the hard drives in your carryon (also wrapped up).

They won't think it's a bomb, they'll think it's a PC. They might inspect it to make sure but that doesn't matter.

The data is the most important bit, everything else can be replaced with money. Data cannot be replaced.

Also consider backing up some important stuff to mega first, they give you 50GB for free which is enough for your browser profile and game saves.
>>
Honestly I don't think FedEx/UPS treats your packages any better than airport workers will treat your luggage. I've received some pretty jacked up boxes in the mail. At least if it's in your checked luggage you have a vague idea where it is.
>>
As a person who works as baggage handler I would strongly suggest against transporting it as checked luggage.
>>
I'm putting my ps4 in my checked luggage in 3 weeks to bring with me on my move to Thailand. I'm just going to bubble wrap it really good and surround it by clothes. I thought of bringing my pc as well but I just don't have the space.
>>
>>1108556
I'd replace it locally with a new machine if it's a piece of crap. Staying for "a few years" means you'll be upgrading anyway. Sell locally/replace with laptop as main machine now, or wait to buy a replacement once there.

Mailing it gives you better insurance options, but might not be worth the price. Checking in your bag isn't within the replacement value/insurance you'd get from a lost bag or even proving it was inside the bag when you checked it. It's not new. If you disassemble parts and attempt a carryon for safety from theft, you could be denied at security for non-operating computers on your person.
>>
Why not just build a new PC? Pascal will be out soon anyways.
>>
>>1108556
If you are desperate you can sell it and make a pc in Canada. I'm sure the strength of the euro/pound and the low Canadian dollar will let you make an even better build.
>>
OP out of interest what are you doing in Canada
Uni?
>>
>>1108556
Just go to your local UPS. It will cost a pretty penny, but that's the cost of knowing it is done right. This is what they specialize in.
>>
as someone who has travelled a lot, and taken his pc with him i would advise against it.

my parents move all over the world for work which regularly involved me being told to pack up my room into shipping boxes suitcases etc.

my fave pc with about 4 years of pics and music on it arrived and wouldnt start.. i was gutted..

anyway in short, back everything up, twice
sell it and buy a new one in your new place. i just use a laptop and backup hdd's now, so much easier..

also take into account power sockets in diff countrys have diff plugs and voltage 240v/110v / whatever wierd shit which will likely feck with it aswell.. turkey and france have blown quite a lot of my stuff up with their shoddy electrics.. at least if you purchased it in the counntry u stand a chance of it not getting exploded.. anyway just my two cents.. hope it helps
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.