[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moving to London
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1
File: ZachCarson_Still-300x168.jpg (18 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
ZachCarson_Still-300x168.jpg
18 KB, 300x168
Thinking about moving to London, I have some friends there, but not the circles I'm looking for, I have a lot of artistic projects regarding anything, looking for people on the "alternative" side, the minimalistic-nihilistic-not desiring much money type, I don't have much money either rn. I don't want anything fancy
Is it a good place for people like this and to make a living out of art, or just a shitty job to get by and do my thing? What are the best boroughs to live like that (as in not caring much that its a bad neighborhood, but one where I might get killed)?
>>
Most of the art types I know are bankrolled by their bourgeois parents. Otherwise you'll need a job that pays to get by. Regardless of whether you can sell your art or not, London is one of the most expensive cities in the world
>>
>>1108592
I know it's quite expensive, but I really like the place, mainly I like cities with a good art culture where english is spoken (I'm Spanish, I could go to Barcelona, but I really like the english language and culture) though I also like the US, Sacramento, NY, LA, SF (only been in NY though) so it really comes to living in an english-spoken country/city where modern art is valued and living cheaply (or just not really struggling) is possible
>>
Honestly man, London isn't a place where you can get by working minimum with less than full time. Almost all of my friends that don't have big boy/girl jobs are just barely scraping by. I'm pretty good at making money and even I have reservations about moving there. I love the city too but it's fast paced or die
>>
>>1109429
Galicia
>>
>>1109430
What about Bristol for example then? As I've said, I like english speaking countries, so any would do, but the city has to have a certain art-culture appeal I guess
>>
>>1109544
Bristol is definitely more affordable than London, and from what I understand it also has a thriving art scene. Personally I find those sorts of people to be insufferable hipsters, but it sounds like that's what you're after so Bristol could be a good place for you. London has that too, but you won't be able to survive with a shitty part-time job (minimum rent, even for the worst accommodation, is >£100pw).
>>
>>1108528
Sounds like you're looking for somewhere like Brighton.
>>
>>1109544
Have you thought about edinborough? It's got a pretty good arts scene. Tbh in 2016 most cities can hold their own artistically. If you expand your criteria to northern Europe (where people can speak English better than native English speakers) then places like Lund are also very cultural. Oslo and Helsinki have wicked artistic communities.
>>
>>1109583
And at least you'd be fine on a little over part time in Scandinavia. Melbourne Australia is also a good one. There are so many options but maybe what you really want is London.
>>
>>1109562
>>1109563
Both Bristol and Brighton sound good, but I've only been in England once, an that was London, so I dont know what to expect honestly, but I'll look into them

>>1109583
Edimbourgh? I like Scotland but never been there, plus I've heard weather sucks, not that it doesnt in England, but I think there its pretty worse.

Honestly I've got no idea about where to go, I just liked the UK but as I've only been in London and only know a few people from there, I've got no point of reference so it'll just come to the city that I see the most appealing as it's true that atm every city has grown a lot when it comes to art. What I'm looking for really is a with a somewhat decent weather (dont care about rain, it rains a lot here too), where I can get an affordable place to live (just need a bed and a bathroom, no tv, I use a PC, and maybe a small kitchen) and work on my projects freely, by having a part-time job which can get my by just fine or in a minimum

I might be asking too much here but if I can get some answers, that'd be great
>>
>>1109562
I lived in Bristol for 3 years, it's not much cheaper than London unless you want to live with actual poor people (the kind who also have poor parents). If you want to save money, you just have to go north (but not Edinburgh, which is full of rich English people and tourists).
>>
>>1109655
Might as well squat
>>
And what about Liverpool? Looks nice
>>
>>1108606
Why dont you go to Berlin?
>>
>>1109592
>somewhat decent weather (dont care about rain, it rains a lot here too)

You're looking at the wrong place pal.

>having a part-time job which can get my by just fine or in a minimum

Not achievable in London unless you're subsidised, e.g rich friend rents their apartment to you for cheap, etc.

People are literally sharing beds, sleeping under staircases and living in leaking boats just to live in London.

Even in the 'burbs property is still expensive.
>>
>>1108606
>>1108528
Anon my dad did something similar to what you did and he did manage to scrape by living in bad area and working part time at a hospital (UK is always looking for nursing staff) but he was pretty much living paycheck to paycheck with no money to experience the city and it made him miserable. Give up on London
>>
Glasgow is the place OP wants to go, its like Berlin but with English people. It has a really vibrant music scene, lots of artistic types from the rest of the island and ireland, a lot of young people drawn by the affordable rent and a decent job market. Only trouble is how spread out the place is. I myself am trying to find a way to immigrate there.
>>
>>1110245
>Glasgow
>like Berlin but with English people
>Glasgow
>English

Please say that to someone who lives there
>>
Can you front 2000 pounds right the fuck now to have any chance of any room at all? Because you're going to be spending that on rent+deposit right away.

There is no cheap way to live in London that is also legal, and there is no law in London that is not enforced, except weed.

I did not run away from that city, I was dragged away kicking and screaming, but it is pretty impossible to live there without a decent job/inherited wealth.
>>
>>1110396
I do have the money to do that, but I'm refering to the long run, I'll probably be spending a year there

>>1110210
>>1110137
Already kinda gave it up, just looking for a place with a good art scene and not too expensive

>>1110245
Is it a good place to live, like taking a part-time job and being able to live on a small flat?

>>1110133
Berlin is cool, I just don't know any German, plus I'm fluent in English and like the language a lot, so idk, but yeah Berlin from what I've heard is fucking amazing regarding everything artistic, don't know how living there is though

I'll only be spending a year on the place, to then come back to study in my home country (if I can't find an affordable degree outside of it that is) so what I really want is an affordable city, urban style (I'm fed up with having nothing to do on a small, everyone-does-the-same city) and with a lot of different people that could have my same vibe
>>
Also I skateboard, so having a skatepark around town or just a few good spots would be nice, don't kniw where to find that though combined with decent weather to skate
>>
>>1110419
I'd choose Manchester if I were you
>>
>>1110419
Glasgow fag. Yeah it's a great place to live. Theres always something going on in town. It's more affordable than london with a better quality of life (for the most part). Also the women are really easy. You might want to also consider Manchester or Sheffield as well. Glasgow has a good skate scene (john rattray from zero is from there as well as stu graham). Bristol is good as well as Manchester
>>
>>1112033
>>1112138
Manchester sounds good, and so does Glasgow, but don't know about weather or living costs though
>>
>>1108528
Don't go to London.

It's a great place TO VISIT but it will eat you alive. You'll be working every hour just to keep your head above water. You will be mentally, physically drained unless you manage to get a really good job but the chances are you won't.

>I've lived in london for 15years
>>
>>1111358
Skate/Art/Music scene is better up north, along with the price of living and the people are more friendly.

I think you would be more suited to Manchester
>>
>>1112629
I think that's the case with most major capitals/cities in the world ( e.g : NY , Dubai...etc)
>>
>>1112719
>>1112629
Will look on Machester then, btw know any cheap boroughs or whatever?
>>
Also what's a good price for a cheap flat/house? I'm looking for 400£PM atm, but I don't really know how much I'd earn from a part-time job or plainly serving tables. All I see is small rooms with 1 bed, small kitchen and bathroom (all I'm looking for really), but I've never had to pay rent, so I don't know how much is cheap or expensive
>>
>>1110133
(if you live in Berlin) Is the immigration crisis as bad as it seems? like, enough to turn one off from moving there?
>>
>>1113127
No, this is a meme.
Berlin is just like any other major city.
>>
>>1112933
Dont live in Rusholme, full of students and shit migrants.
>>
>>1113724
Why not? Pretty much all of the affordable houses I've seen are on that area or a bit to the North or West of it. Which also would make sense on why it's so cheap, but I'm 18, so wouldn't students be my kind of people to hang out (not that I can't find any older friends, but it's easier)
>>
>>1112968
You won't find anything for £400 mate. That's west country/up north prices.
Seriously, London is not somewhere to be with no money.

Try somewhere like Bristol or Bath. Good music/artist scenes. Bristol has great bars and it wont cost you the earth.
>>
>>1113749
I was actually talling about Manchester mate, I've given up London for the better
>>
>>1113745
Move further outward into withington, safer. Rusholme and Fallowfield arent that bad, But Rusholme feels like its in a state of decay. Im a student living in the Rusholme area and it depresses me to no end with rubbish strewn across everywhere and the stench of weed as you walk by some houses at 11am.

Heard some alright things about Whalley range, and mixed things from mosside. But thats basically it. Hulme is probably as closest to the city at an alright price .

All of these places are within the student sphere of influence might be good for you. Northern Quarter is where all the hipster and yuppies head out might be a tad pricey, but theres plenty of other artsy bars around.

Good luck living in the city that brought us the likes of based New Order and such.
>>
edinburgh
>>
>>1113804
Will look into it, thanks for the info. Though not going North as from what I've seen it is in fact expensive

>>1113805
Fuck now that I look again Edinburgh doesn't look bad, although I just did a quick search and couldn't find any flats which are not too far away from the city and within my budget
>>
>>1113804
Is it that bad there? :/
>>
>>1113839
It can feel sketchy at times, but i mean its no worse than places in London.

Don't let your guard down and if youre a girl try to go home with your mates after a nightout. There's been several sexual assaults on students.
>>
>>1110263
I live there, there a fair amount of English folk to be fair. Pretty good place. OP sounds like a wank though, I don't want him living here.
>>
>>1113953
What about Chorlton or Hulme?
>>
>>1114008
Never been to chorlton. Had a friend in hulme towards the city centre, seems more on the pricey side just looking at it from the outside, he lived in a pricey flat though thats all i know, dont know much about the atmosphere. Can only really speak for Rusholme, Longsight, Fallowfield, Withington.
>>
>>1108528
I lived in London for 10 years. It´s an ultra capitalist city.. ´alternative artists´´ end up homeless on the street within 2/3 weeks..
>>
Londoner here. after reading this thread I've come to the conclusion that you won't make it in London.

Sorry man, don't want to give you false hope.
>>
Definitely Brighton, I lived in Brighton for a year as a international student and it's definitely what you're looking for.
The place is really special, everyone is laid back and there's a real cool artsy vibe to the whole city, not to mention the people
And don't worry there isn't as many gays as you think haha
>>
>>1115243
>>1115548
Yeah, I've completely given up London

>>1115866
How is it compared to Manchester (which would be my option for now), as in: living costs, employment, places to hang around, etc.?
>>
>>1115964
Honestly speaking , I have no idea about Manchester as I'm just a student that have lived in London and Brighton
In general I would say that Brighton is slightly pricey, and for rent in comparison to other cities it's higher however you can easily share a nice apartment for say £400-£600 a month? That's minimum I think.
For food the average cafe/restaurant is ~7-15 pounds
But you can find cheaper
Employment... Hmm you can find blue collar and low end jobs easily, not too sure about the availability of white collar jobs.. But there is lots of traffic and business opportunity esp in the food industry and tourism and lifestyle if your into that kinda thing.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.