[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Random Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 9
Post all your random questions that you were too afraid to ask/didn't deserve a new thread in here and they will be answered by Real Travelers.©
>>
How easy is it to cross borders in the Balkans as an American? Do some countries give you more fuss than others? Do you have to change currencies in each one?
>>
When someone asks for destination suggestions, why are people deliberately biased toward places they themselves have been? "I've been to Barcelona and literally nowhere else in Spain. You should definitely go to Barcelona, it's AMAZING."
Why, why, why?
>>
File: 1456951326474.jpg (23 KB, 482x453) Image search: [Google]
1456951326474.jpg
23 KB, 482x453
>>1100056
Can we exclude burgers from here? I know it's a question thread, but Christ.

>>1100056
You'll cross just like any other visa-free country.
Yes, different countries use different currencies. Why wouldn't you?

>>1100084
Because they've enjoyed their time there? Just as easily they could not have enjoyed +followed by reasons why and let you decide. This is not really a question too.
>>
>>1100083
You'll most likely be able to pay in euros in a lot of places, but you'll be ripped off, then. So just exchange like every normal person.
>>
>>1100084
In my case I recommend people places I have been or I never want to go but I hear are good.

Its become i'm a massive cunt I don't recommend places I want to go, I don't want to see photos of friends in places I have always dreamed to go. I think that might just be me being a cunt like I say though
>>
Why does it seem like everyone gives Poland shit? I spent 2 weeks there travelling around and had an absolutely great time. Cheap, safe and beautiful country. Lots of history and great nightlife, I'm not saying its the best in Europe but hell you could do a lot lot worse
>>
I'm planning on a trip to SEA in late December, looking at where I want to be for New Year's Eve. Are NYE parties big in SEA?

Looking at my schedule I'll be in Kuala Lumpur on NYE, but I could shorten my stay to get up to Bangkok, or slow things down to be in Singapore.

Essentially, where should I go for NYE? Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, or Bangkok? I'm looking for a "let's get stupid drunk and party all night" kind of vibe.
>>
>>1100158
>Why does it seem like everyone gives Poland shit?
I suppose it is due to ignorance and the legacy of Communism which made any country under the influence known as an Eastern European shithole (even if those countries are technically within Central Europe).

Krakow is one of the best cities in Europe and perhaps the best within Central Europe.
>>
>>1100158
It's mostly western media propaganda. If you notice how they portray most less-well-off countries you can see that there is a clear bias. It's the same with Mexico, people are so afraid of going there because it's portrayed as completely lawless and barbaric. Most only go to resorts (which are often owned by western corporations). I know for example that media in places like Poland shows the good and bad sides of most countries but if you watch CNN all their stories from Asia or Eastern Europe or Africa have a negative tone.

Also agree with >>1100169 . There's a bias that has been around since the days of communism in Eastern Europe. Everything behind the iron curtain is bad to this day because of a lack of education imo. There's little world knowledge being taught, also people are in general fairly ignorant when it comes to these matters as it rarely concerns them. It's quite infuriating to us Poles living in the west but every group like this faces this same issue.
>>
>>1100178
>It's mostly western media propaganda
Those countries are literally never mentioned in Western media besides maybe something involving NATO, but it's partially true regarding Mexico.
>>
>>1100084
...are you serious? Is it not more comforting to know someone's opinion on a destination when the've actually experienced that place rather than somewhere they haven't been, and then coming to your own conclusion based on that?

"Don't go to Barcelona, I went there and it sucks! but I hear Syria is pretty cool these days. I've never actually been tho, let me know how it goes for you!"
>>
File: austistic.jpg (42 KB, 500x477) Image search: [Google]
austistic.jpg
42 KB, 500x477
Are most users of this board autistic? I've never met anyone IRL who hols the consensus opinions here e.g. don't take selfies when traveling.
>>
>>1100084
This is a random questions thread, not a stupid questions thread.

The reason people never recommend places they haven't been is because.... they haven't been to them.

I'd never recommend a food to someone I've never tried, nor a movie I've never watched, so why would I tell you to spend your time and money going to a place I've never been?
>>
>>1100187
>tfw don't take selfies because I have a double chin

But hey if I had a nice face I would be taking them all the time
>>
What's the best way to have safety money in case I lose my debit card (or it gets stolen) while abroad? Can't get a credit card so that option is out.
>>
>>1100187
Finding selfies obnoxious is a pretty damn common viewpoint.
>>
>>1100083
>How easy is it to cross borders in the Balkans as an American?
Depends a bit on where you want to go, but Americans can enter more or less anywhere in the Balkans visa-free (a visa has to be purchased for Turkey, the European bit of which is on the Balkan peninsula, but that's easy to buy on arrival).
>Do some countries give you more fuss than others?
I haven't spent a ton of time in the region, but I would class border guards throughout the region as relatively surly. But I don't believe that's specific to Americans. You smile, they scowl, they stamp your passport, you're allowed in for up to 90 days. End.
>Do you have to change currencies in each one?
Generally, yes, although the euro is commonly unofficially accepted at bad rates in places where it is not official. You could probably get people to take USD, too, likely at even worse rates. You can use ATMs in, as far as I know, every country in the region to withdraw local funds.
>>
>>1100207
Get a second debit card.
>>
>>1100207
Sounds old-fashioned, but travelers' checks (travellers' cheques) are secure and, at least for now, easy to exchange at banks more or less around the world. If you lose them, the issuing company can send replacements to you.

Or you could hide a bunch of cash somewhere, which works for some people.
>>
>>1100207
Open a second checking account with a second debit card. Use that as your primary money source and go online to transfer money from your main checking account to your travel checking account.

That way, worse case scenario, your card gets stolen AND somehow they knew your PIN, they couldn't get more than the small increment you put in there, if you even left anything in there at all.

That's what I do and it's never let me down.
>>
As a white Canadian travelling in northern Europe how concerned should I be with scammers and/or thieves? Will carrying around a backpack full of stuff on a regular basis make me more of a target?
>>
>>1100236
Not concerned at all. Just be careful around gypsies and "refugees." The latter term is in quotations for a reason.
>>
>>1100236
best to sew an American flag on your backpack to make yourself a less appealing target.
>>
>>1100223
This is the idea I like most of all of them, but out of interest where do you keep the two cards? They'd obviously have to be kept in separate places to be safe but surely keeping a second one in your bag or something would make that one far less secure?
>>
File: Stanczyk.jpg (54 KB, 406x342) Image search: [Google]
Stanczyk.jpg
54 KB, 406x342
How do you guys deal with other people's loud breathing / Snoring? While I was sharing a two person hostel room with a female, her breathing irritated me a great deal. In the end I had to put in headphones and listen to music till I fell asleep. That was with simple quiet breathing.

Now I'm going on a road-trip with my father to California. Roughly a week's worth of time. My father snores really loud, and I can usually hear him across the house.

Normal ear plugs are not going to work here, any good tips?
>>
You can always murder your father.
>>
>>1100396
I keep one on me along with my passport in a ziplock bag that I suck the air out of and stick between my thigh and my boxer briefs. Even if I get mugged, they won't find it there because if you feel over the area, it feels like normal pocket fabric and nothing more.

The other I keep in a wallet that I have in a small satchel bag that usually rests in front of my hip so I can always see it, hard to steal from it without me noticing. A small bag like that is also very convenient for things you use a lot and don't want to keep pulling out of your backpack like a map or a cellphone or something. The wallet has some small cash in it and an ID that I can easily replace. If you are getting mugged, this is the wallet you would give up. Also, if it otherwise gets stolen through sneaky means, it's no big deal to replace everything and cancel the card.
>>
>>1100180
It is though. In European countries, Poland is depicted as a racist conservative hellhole that deserves the worst.

Not saying that it's something discussed about every single day.
>>
>>1101171
I remember before Euro 2012 some BBC program did some undercover story about racism and nazis in Poland to try and make people think the tournament would be some huge disaster.
>>
Hi! This is G.
>>
>>1100187
>e.g. don't take selfies when traveling.

I don't travel ti take pictures of myself. Icoul'd do that at home. Actualy I don't take a lot of pictures when traveling period. To me it's propusturous to travel in order to take pictures of things in less quality then the pictures i saw in the internet. In fact this year I'm bringing a scetch book.

TL;DR Fuck taking pistures.
inb4: Fuck off old fag, I'm 21.
>>
>>1100178
>It's mostly western media propaganda. If you notice how they portray most less-well-off countries you can see that there is a clear bias.
I'm glad you are intelligent enough to recognize bias (or perceived bias), but its not really true in the case of Poland. I think the issue is actually traveler related. When you compare a), b), c) and d) as places to go, there's going to be choices that excel with all the things tourists quite typically enjoy.
> It's the same with Mexico, people are so afraid of going there because it's portrayed as completely lawless and barbaric.
100,000 deaths (50k are just unsolved disappearances) annually is not ridiculous fear. Nor is the very real bull that happens if someone ends up in jail, rightly or wrongly,there's little cooperation internationally to right the wrongs.
> Most only go to resorts (which are often owned by western corporations).
They're not though. Seeing a chain name like Hilton or Westin doesn't mean they're owned by anyone but a local, it's simply an affiliation with standards or shared perks. The major resort chains in Mexico are owned by Mexican companies, from Fiesta Americana to Camino Real, are usually bank, other financial or energy owned investment groups.
I'd also like to point out that although resort travel offends you, they are almost always built in locales where it was necessary to keep tourists safe from locals and/or they were to give services before the local community could provide them. When you're a beach town, out on a road miles from town, or like on an island, it takes a long time to provide people with a restaurant choice list to suit them, or conveniences that travelers need without high taxi rates, a shuttle or car, esp if you are long distances from an airport. Add a big disparity in local income with all of those temptations, there's the reason for the wall, and vetted employee needs. You can't just wish for safety, you have to ensure it.
>>
>>1100207
>What's the best way to have safety money in case I lose my debit card (or it gets stolen) while abroad? Can't get a credit card so that option is out.
Have a second card, or family at home who have access to drop in money into an accessible account. As a BofA customer, any relative who is also a BofA customer may wire transfer to each other via online or in person. I also trust my family, so I list a parent as a user on at least one account that I own. If I die? They don't have estate or probate issues, they have access to all of it, if needed for arrangement or my bills.
Travelers checks are still pretty secure if your bank offers to them you, but the places you can use them are more limited than a couple of decades ago. Checks are legal currency, but you used to be able to shop with them at most small or quality establishments, but they really don't like it anymore. It's a digital world.

I can't imagine traveling without a credit card. You need a credit line for a car rental or a nice hotel, it's like their insurance you won't skip out on damages or after the fact charges like gas or the fridge contents.
>>
>>1100236
>Will carrying around a backpack full of stuff on a regular basis make me more of a target?
Well, of course it would. Who the hell wears a backpack...ever? Men don't carry purses. Students might have a small amount of items in a pack, and near school. Anyone else? No.
>>
>>1101212
Yeah living on credit just isn't as big a thing in my country as in the US I think, plus I'm a student travelling on savings from when I worked a couple of years ago so there's no real income to base a credit limit on, sucks but it's the way it is. Have taken the option of opening a second account and by extension a second debit card, should work well enough.
>>
>>1100207

I have a golden tooth encase i ever get into trouble and have no cash, i cant remember how much it weighs for sure cause i got it over a decade ago, but im pretty sure its worth like $400 to $500. They hurt like a bitch to get put in though, and the crunching sound when they pull out the healthy tooth is something you will never forget (you cant describe the sound unless you have heard it yourself) and then your mouth is a bit sore and swollen for a bit afterwards, but its the best contingency plan really.

Its an interesting story as to why i had it, pretty much i used to be a smuggler of almost anything (except drugs) and the amount of times you would end up in a misc tiny town in a foreign country to pick up some stolen antique that had no ATM's and didn't accept foreign currency was all too common, hence i always carried some little silver and gold coins to trade, the tooth was mainly for paying for someone to get me out of the country if things went bad and i couldn't use airports.

Never got that bad, but still, i honestly think its the best way if you really want something subtle and effective.
>>
Any recommendations for a tent to travel with for a while between festivals in Europe
>>
File: FB_IMG_1460298424955.jpg (68 KB, 1139x640) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1460298424955.jpg
68 KB, 1139x640
>>1100165
I'd recommend getting over to one of the southern Kohs for New Years. Personally I recommend the Ark Bar on Koh Samui.

http://www.ark-bar.com/
>>
I'm thinking of going to Stockholm, Tallinn, Helsinki and Saint Petersburg at the end of November; I'm just wondering is it too cold and dark at this time?

It's a bit cheaper at this time of year or is it worth paying a few extra hundred pounds(£) to go in warmer times. I'm a poorfag so saving that much money is big deal for me
>>
>>1101231
That seems a little excessive m8
>>
>>1101642
Not too cold, which might be bad, since there's possibly no snow. Darkness will be the worst tho, sun sets at around 5pm at that time.
>>
>>1101642
Honestly, going there in that time will suck ass. It will be cold AF (think -10°C), and the sun will set at around 3-4pm. If you specifically care about these countries it is DEFINITELY worth going in summer. It's April now and I'm travelling the Baltics - had shit weather in Tallinn, about 6-7°C, rainy AF. Would not do that again.
>>
>>1101670
Addendum: I was in St.Petersburg in summer and the White Nights are worth seeing once in yr life.
>>
Does anyone here collect anything?

I feel mine is pretty strange but I like to collect those rechargeable cards you can get for public transport in big cities.
>>
>>1101672
stds
>>
>>1101672
I used to collect hotel keys, but I got over that at some point. Money as well, but got over that, too. Really, now my only collection goal is to add stamps to my "pussy passport", by bedding women in the countries I travel, though that is not my reason for traveling.

I guess you can say what I aim to collect are "experiences"
>>
>>1101672
Used to keep money from everywhere I went but don't bother anymore. I don't really take photos either, it's weird but I prefer it to all just be in my memory, I can romanticise about it then.
>>
>>1101672
Cool beer labels.
>>
>>1100205
I know that feeling, fatbro.
Except I don't have a double chin, I'm just not very good looking.

>>1101204
That went full autist pretty fast.
>>
>>1101171
>>1101182
I remember they had a black player, I think it was Sol Campbel do a huge talk about how racist Poland is and how English fans should boycott it. He never even went to Poland, some of the issues he referenced were from 20 years before. I remember English/Irish fans calling him out on it during and after Euros, including black folks.

>>1101211
>100,000 deaths (50k are just unsolved disappearances) annually is not ridiculous fear.
Those are almost all gang/cartel related deaths. The image foreigners have is that there's a war going on out in public when in reality the vast majority of people are unaffected.

In regards to the resorts, yes many Mexican owned ones now out there but those chains still have to pay money to the corporations they're under. There's plenty of European and American chains putting their names there. Look, resorts do create a lot of jobs, but that's not what I'm going for here.
>>
File: magnets.jpg (1 MB, 1774x1774) Image search: [Google]
magnets.jpg
1 MB, 1774x1774
>>1101672
I collect magnets of each city I visit

Gf collects rocks, she stole half a tile from the floor of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem and put it in my backpack; she has also taken parts of buildings in Pompeii, Megiddo, Petra and various other places
>>
File: zzz.nike.jpg (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
zzz.nike.jpg
12 KB, 300x300
Hey guys first time posting on /trv/
I'm going to atlanta for 3 days by plane and I was wondering if I can pack my stuff in a nike gym bag and just a regular bag pack.
I know I really shouldn't care about what other people think but I really don't wanna do something really out of the norm.
thanks
>>
>>1101881
Your gf is a piece of shit you know that right?
>>
>>1101888
he knows it. but he needs sex. and probably her girlfriend is the one "wearing pants" in the house.
he contributes local economy
she destroys world history
not an unusual relationship
>>
>>1101888

I don't think it's too bad; most are just little rocks on the floor near the buildings; she's not pulling bricks out of walls. I thought the tile thing took it a bit far tho
>>
>>1101895
>a bit far
>>
>>1101895
>destroying part of the most holy site in Christendom and one of the most historically interesting sites in one of the most historically interesting cities on the planet.

>a bit far
>>
>>1101881
Is your gf a Chinese teenager from a wealthy, above the law family?
>>
>>1101899
Don't worry too much the tile is very unlikely part of the original flooring; it looks modern
>>
>Tfw never flown on a plane before
Can I print out my tickets at the airport? I got them through Delta.
>>
>>1101914
>>Tfw never flown on a plane before
>Can I print out my tickets at the airport? I got them through Delta.
You walk right up to the kiosk. Enter in your flight locator number, scan in your ID like the barcode on your passport, or you may swipe a credit card that you used for your purchase. Your flight appears. You answer a couple questions like "any bags to check?" and then you get to print a boarding pass, and also your "receipt" of purchase, which is actually your original ticket before the seat request/boarding pass.

To answer you, yes. When you are on some crappy airline like Spirit, any airline other than Delta, they could possibly charge you to print or do any shit for you. Delta won't do that. They charge for a checked bag though, never a carryon, as long as it fits their parameters. Never fear!

If you don't access to a printer, you should at least log into their website to "check-in" within 24 hours of the flight, even though you could do it in the terminal 2 hours before....you should do it as early as they allow you.
>>
>>1101914
Yep, that's the only way to do it. There are probably check-in machines which are retard-proof but you can also just walk up to the desk.
>>
>>1101914
>>Tfw never flown on a plane before
Delta will help you. Walk up to anyone and just tell them that. Feel free to ask every niggling question that comes to mind, just do it with a smile and lots of please and thank yous.

Protip: Don't be chatty with TSA, alternately. Have your ID ready with your boarding pass. Then do the line they waved you to. Get in a line, Lift up your bin, lay in your bag, pull out the 1qt ziploc from your carryon separately into the bin , now eyes forward, see if they want the shoes off too. Nothing in hand but your ticket at this point (or put it in the bin). Listen for instructions for body scatter or other. Hands up, wait in machine, walk out. Go to conveyor nicely around other people, like you are watching your bag like a hawk.

Secure a drink once you're past security before the gate. I usually pack an empty starbucks thermos to fill from a restaurant and then sip onboard, as well as buy a 1liter water. They don't serve passengers as fast as you wish. Buy local exclusive food in the terminal if you like the choices, otherwise, I eat unsalted nuts/snack mix, granola bar, chocolate, etc.

Go through TSA a bit earlier than you think, sometimes some idiot slows the line. It took me more than 1.5hrs to clear a TSA line in Chicago about 3 weeks ago. Aim to be at the gate about 45mins and absolutely no later than 25mins before departure and should be ok. Feel free to ask redundant questions about your seat, boarding time, anything of the gate agent, but they're typically kind of rushy-ignoring-overworked, don't take it personally. Just don't walk away the last 30 minutes, for any reason.
>>
>>1101883
Yes
>>
As a Canadian with Aboriginal status (cheat code), how easy is it to move to the USA? I want muh guns for easy.
>>
Whats the smallest independent country you have been to?

Luxembourg for me and it was just boring and miserable for me.
>>
>>1102255
The Vatican I suppose, was pretty overrated tßh, all far too ostentatious for my taste.
>>
>>1102255
After Vatican it was San Marino, it was a very nice day trip; it's just a pain trying to get there though
>>
Vump
>>
>>1102255

Vatican and then Liechtenstein
>>
What's Croatia/Dubrovnik like for non-whites?

I'm white but my gf is Chinese-Filipino
>>
File: 286.jpg (6 MB, 4752x3168) Image search: [Google]
286.jpg
6 MB, 4752x3168
>>1101204

I don't do the selfie thing either, but I do like to take photos to record views that I want to remember.

Props to you for the skills to do sketching, though, that's a great approach if you have the talent. Very much in the tradition of the Grand Tour.

I stopped taking an expensive DSLR camera with me the last few years, and just use phone/iPad. I'm not Ansel Adams; more just documenting my trip than hoping to make art.
>>
File: harrylime.jpg (3 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
harrylime.jpg
3 KB, 258x195
>>1101231

Don't need a gold tooth as long as you have an asshole. Just sayin'.
>>
File: shells.jpg (15 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
shells.jpg
15 KB, 259x194
>>1101895

Right. Now multiply that by 150,000 people doing the same thing every year.
>>
>>1103357
Maybe she'll get a couple of weird looks I guess?

Croatia is pretty popular for Asian tourists and lets be honest here, its black and Muslims who are the none white groups that would be likely to be in any danger when it comes to most countries.
>>
I'm going to Japan in a couple of weeks and i was wondering if power points are easy to find around. I will only really have my phone for taking photos and using maps so i am hoping there are places i can charge my phone if i need to. I did google it and some mcdonalds and starbucks seem like a safe bet but i was wondering if you guys might have better knowledge. Staying in Tokyo and Osaka mainly.
>>
>>1103357
The same for everybody.
Welcome to the balkans.
>>
>>1103389
I was in tokyo during february, while any power outlets you find will be standard American size, you are not likely to find any. I took a powerbank for my phone 1.5 x the phone charge.I should have taken two. Have fun.
>>
>>1103397
Thanks, i'm going to grab a couple of those then i think. Any you recommend in particular?
>>
Does it make a difference WHERE you exchange currency (ie whether in your home country or destination?) or not really? Also Geographically speaking (close to the border vs more inland?)
>>
>>1101672
Lapel pins from cities and small rocks from nature
>>
>>1103458
I don't get your question
Like will you be charged more for different places? Some banks exchange for free if you're a member/ exchanging high enough amount, Airports and other public places are rip offs

I always prefer to have at least $100 equivalent of the local currency for every day I'm there then have my emergency travel card with $1000-1500
>>
What are some cheap supermarkets in central Lisbon? I'm on a tight budget and don't want to spend a fortune on food
>>
>>1103477
Sorry I meant price-wise, seeing as how I assume whomever I exchange with charges a brokerage fee. If I go to the United States from Canada, would it be in my best interest to exchange funds in Canada or just across the border or deep into the country or is it irrelevant? I only ask because I believe there might be economic forces at play that would drive the price of the traded for currency up or down and I'd want the most value I can get (again, if it makes a difference).
>>
>>1103492
You may be able to find better rates in big cities with lots of exchange houses. You may find worse rates in smaller cities with only one exchange house.
It follows simple market dynamics.
>>
How easy is it to visit and interact with people in Eastern Europe (Austria onwards) with English only?
>>
How difficult is it to learn a couple basic phrases for the different languages of Eastern Europe?
>>
>>1103546
Knowing only "how much is", "where is...?", "hello", "good bye" and "thank you" is far from what I'd call "interaction". If you're satisfied with that, good for you. I wish I was you.

How well do the average citizen of those countries speak English is another way of interpreting my question.
>>
>>1103543
It's generally the case that young people will probably know at least basic English. Older people are much less likely to have a grasp of it.
>>1103546
Really easy
>>
>>1101922
Claim you're a native citizen
We have a lot of weird laws for anyone with native blood, just google it tbhfamdesudesu
>>
>>1101642
Sweden is coldest around January. It doesn't turn into snowy winterland until after new years, maybe december if there's any luck.
>>
Has anyone owned a McKinley backpack before? Good/bad? Tips?
>>
I love Portuguese architecture but the only cheap flight to Portugal from my nearest airport is to Faro, is it decent? I gave it a quick search on wikitravel and it sounds like its similar to Ibiza or something, is it that bad?

Well I get a Portuguese experience of will I feel like i'm in sunny version of England?
>>
>>1103660
>sunny version of England
That's it

Get a bus or train to Lisbon £25 one way, takes 3 hours
>>
>>1103667
Any cities closer than that? Only planning to spend a weekend
>>
I can get very cheap holiday to Crete or Malta for a week, which one is better for things like historical sites and things to do?
>>
Japan-related question: would it be illegal to post my ex's nudes to 2ch?
>>
Whats a good camping bag to backpack/travel with?

Also anyone have workaway experiences?
>>
>>1104011
What makes you think it would be?
>>1104074
Depends on your budget and how long you're going to camp.
TNF has some pretty good backpacks.
>>
How old is considered " old" when traveling? What is " young" really? I'm 21 right now, but I'm tied up in a bunch of inescapable bullshit until I'm 22, turning up on 23, and that's when I've planned to start traveling actively and finally experience life. I just wonder what's considered " prime" and how old are usually other travellers and for example women you usually meet when traveling?

I'm kinda bummed I've missed out on life for so long, but being tied up with education in a shitty town, choosing wrong and having to do it all again, etc...
>>
>>1104577
>What makes you think it would be?
Japanese censorship laws?
>>
>>1104602
>start traveling actively and finally experience life.
>I'm kinda bummed I've missed out on life for so long

Not that I am against traveling, I'm here after all, but if you are expecting your life to change drastically because you are standing on a different patch of dirt, you may be in for a disappointment.

Travel can broaden your experience and enhance your life, but it's still your life, and you take it with you where ever you travel. No matter where you go there you are, and all that...
>>
>>1104614
Thanks for the reply.
I see your point. I might expect too much to change just because I'll be traveling, perhaps. But I really want to take it as an opportunity to get out of my shell and learn to become more outgoing by interacting more with people and women especially. To, well, find myself, I guess. I expect to learn from both good and bad, but ultimately I hope to come away with a satisfaction of " I'm living it!" You know?

In stead of sitting in my room in my parents apartment, wondering what "could have been" or, what I've missed out on / am missing out on, etc. It's just a shame I have not gotten an opportunity to to it earlier.
>>
>>1104602
Very subjective question because to an 18 year old a 28 year old might be old while for a 40 year old someone who's 29 might be young.

I'd say that if you're younger than college graduating age (21-23) you're young. This is the age to travel for partying. Most people I meet in hostels are anywhere from 18 to 35 I'd say but it's not uncommon to see older people. Prime would probably be around 25-28, that time where you are finally making some money to spend on traveling but aren't tied down with a family yet. This is probably a good time to mature up a little if you haven't already and move on from Ibiza or Phuket to Barcelona or Chang Mai. Not to say that 30+ year olds don't travel to party, Vegas has a ton of middle aged people shitfaced walking around the streets.

I set out on a multi-year trip in a few months (a combination of travel and work) and I'll be 30 when I start. Maybe a little older than I would have liked but the best time to travel is whenever you have a chance to so this is my time. I look younger than I really am so I don't think people will mind as much and I can still befriend folks of all ages.

>>1104631
Start working on yourself now, the better shape you'll be when you actually get to travel the better your experience will be. I used to be pretty depressed and have since gotten somewhat better and I truly enjoy my travels a lot more these days.
>>
>>1104645
Hey, Thanks for the reply :) That's some solid advice.

I've planned a vacation this July with my cousin where we are going to amsterdam, paris and maybe barcelona. Mainly to party and meet people and experience the cities. It's only for a couple of weeks, ish, But I hope it will serve as a little insight into traveling and what I might experience when I set out to travel proper next year.

As for working on myself right now, that's a very good idea. I'm trying to get into a decent workout and excercise regime and have started learning the violin to pass the time, maybe it'll even be worth taking with me if I'm good enough by then.

What do you work as that you have to travel for?
>>
>>1104577
>Depends on your budget and how long you're going to camp

Budget wise <150e give or take. Would mostly be travelling for 3 months on and off
>>
>>1100084
What's the point of recommending places you haven't visited you fucking stooge?

>>1100187
Like any other Internet board you have a cross section of travellers and a whole lot of memes. Usually how memes start is some Real Traveler™ will start a sentence with "when I was hitchhiking through rural Madagascar..." And go on to explain why selfies will get you eaten by lions. n00b travelers will regurgitate this information because they think it gives them hostel cred and boom, a meme is born.

So, yes, we're autistic.

>>1100207
Credit card, memorize the numbers, or keep them securely somewhere, then toss the hard copy. 90% of card machines at restaurants and shops let you punch in the numbers manually along with the expiry date. So you don't need a physical card, just a piece of ID and the numbers.

>>1100236
Sweden/germany isn't nearly as bad as 4chan makes it out to be, the crime is still at or below American levels, it's just considerably higher than it was pre refugee crisis

>>1101152
Get those one time use 3m earplugs they use in factories and construction sites. Should be like 10¢ a pair and they will work.

>>1101642
Pay the extra bit and go in the summer. Stockholm in July is incredible, Stockholm in November is shit. Also consider a ferry to Denmark from Essex, it's worth it.

>>1101672
No, I choose to not be weighed down by material possessions. Good on ya though, sounds neat.

>>1101883
Completely ok

>>1101922
You gas huffing reds get a free pass for everything
>>
>>1104602
There really isn't an old, young, or prime. There are travelers of all ages. I know plenty that didn't start personal travel until 30s or 40s.
>>
>>1104602
23 is definitely not "old", especially not for traveling.

I only really started traveling on my own when I was 20 and went on trips every couple years since then. The most traveling I ever did was around 24-26 when I was leaving sometimes twice per year to go on big multi-country trips around Russia or the Middle East or whatever.

Now that I'm 30 I've entered into a new phase of traveling. I've seen the big things that I've always wanted to see (and that I can see given how much money I have and how much I am willing to risk my life) so now I have to find new places to become infatuated with, new cultures to explore from the ground up. For the first time I actually have to think hard about where I want to go next because I've hammered all the nails that stuck out the farthest.
>>
>>1104709
I know a guy who got trapped on World of Warcraft for almost his entire 20s and one day woke up and realized he had wasted his youth and then when he was 30 moved to Japan, became an English teacher, lost a bunch of weight, got all new friends, dressed differently, kind of restarted his entire life.

You can do it at any time and most people never start doing it in the first place.
>>
Should I start a New York advice thread? I'm heading over in October, never been to the US, and the amount of info available is daunting.

Need some grassroots info/advice on neighbourhoods to stay in, bars to drink at, if/how to buy drugs without getting mugged or arrested, other general advice from veterans or residents about the place & insider tips.
>>
>>1104750
>/how to buy drugs without getting mugged or arrested
Why...
>>
>>1104754

Why what?
Buy drugs? Because coke costs $350/gram where I live, and it's cut to shit.

Avoid getting arrested/mugged? a)because career b) because niggers.gif
>>
>>1104881
Why go to another country to do drugs (specifically, to one where doing drugs is forbidden and punishable by law and society)..

That sounds like the most stupid thing one could ever do. You risk your integrity towards the legal system of another country and risk your own physical integrity depending on what you have to do to acquire such drugs.

If it's expensive where you live, find something else. If you're so worried about your carrier and your safety, don't fucking do drugs.
If you don't care about either, go on, go to other countries searching for herbs to get high and be paranoid about keeping yourself safe.

Is PROBABLY what >>1104754 implied (and I added a few which included your reply).
That's likely the line of though of someone who don't do drugs or do it moderately enough.
>>
Is asiancupid better than country specific cupid sites?
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.