[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Africa worth visiting or is it as big of a hellhole as Blood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: South_African_Giraffes.jpg (447 KB, 1370x1200) Image search: [Google]
South_African_Giraffes.jpg
447 KB, 1370x1200
Is Africa worth visiting or is it as big of a hellhole as Blood Diamond and Beasts of No Nation says it is?
>>
>>1096326
depends on the country
>>
Africa is fucking enormous, man, it obviously varies from place to place, country to country, town to town within country, etc. Get more specific, you wouldn't ask "Is Asia worth visiting?"
>>
>>1096358
OK, how about it this. WHERE in Africa is worth visiting?
>>
>>1096361

I met a dude from Zambia who was intent that his home country was absolutely breathtaking, well worth the visit. Couldn't give you a firsthand review, however
>>
>>1096361
Not the Congo.....Either one.

Not Libya

Not Liberia.

Not Niger.

Not Mali

Not South Sudan

Not Somalia

Other than that everything else if fine!
>>
South Africa is the only viable option.
>>
>>1096365
I'll add to that list Chad, CAR, Angola, and Eritrea. What's worth visiting is entirely dependent on what you consider is worth something.
Safaris? Tanzania, SA, Zambia, Kenya. Mountains? Ethiopia or Tanzania.
Ancient history? Ethiopia and Sudan.
Beaches? Mozambique.
Desert? Sudan, Namibia, Botswana.
Jungle? DRC.
Food? All of them.
Wine? SA.

There are an infinite number of places worth visiting in Africa, get more specific again.
>>
>>1096361

Sao Tome e Principe
>>
>>1096405
Why? I assume you're going off the "South Africa is the only somewhat developed country in Africa" meme.

Except for the fact that RSA is actually quite a shithole with rampant crime, HIV, corruption, cronyism, etc.

Botswana and Gabon are better countries. Gabon is probably the best country in Africa, all things considered. It even has a relatively low level of HIV.
>>
A friend just got back From Addis in Ethiopia and had a fantastic time. It's somewhere I've always been curious about.
>>
It's a stupid question OP, but I'll indulge you with a serious answer.
Morocco is Disneyland-tier. So many tourists the pickpockets are too busy to even have time for you. Any crimes against tourists are taken extremely seriously by the police. 10/10 safety rating.
Ghana has the nickname of "Africa for beginners". The language is English, the infrastructure is relatively good, people are used to seeing tourists. You can say similar things about Gambia, except for good infrastructure. 9/10 safety rating.
Botswana is what they call an "African success story". Good quality of life all around there. Neighbors Zambia and Zimbabwe are more patchy, but no strangers to tourists. Lots of great stuff to see in all three.
Namibia was colonized by the Germans, so the cities are clockwork and they keep the sand dunes swept clean. Kidding, but also not kidding.
Mozambique is South Africa's Hawaii. Zanzibar further north has a first-class beach/nightclub scene.
I don't know much about East Africa so I won't shitpost pretending I do, but I imagine Tanzania and Kenya are quite straightforward to visit. Uganda's a little wild, but it gets a lot of happy tourists moving through.
Wherever you go, you're not going to run across a civil war like in Blood Diamond no matter how hard you try.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLix4QPL3tY
>>
Anything other than Egypt, Morocco, Tunsia and South Africa I imagine being like Hotel Rwanda
>>
>>1096458
Good info, actually got me interested in Africa though I'm not OP
>>
>>1096361
Tanzania
>>
>>1096464
>Anything other than Egypt, Morocco, Tunsia and South Africa I imagine being like Hotel Rwanda
Sort of funny nowadays, given that all of those countries save Morocco are more dangerous than contemporary Rwanda... it's been peaceful for decades, and a development success story despite the dictatorship (and even that isn't all that stifling by African dictatorship standards--see Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia).

In all seriousness, I had a wonderful trip to Kenya and Tanzania for safari and other fun. Excellent tourist infrastructure, universal English, superb animals. Nairobi is famously grubby and kind of dangerous (nicknamed Nairobbery), but it's also a lot of fun, just don't walk around River Road at night (actually, don't walk anywhere at night--taxis are friendly and cheap).
>>
>>1096529
oh fuck off,if you haven't anything meaningful to add to the thread, just scroll down.
>>
>>1096423
No - im going off on the fact that [spoiler]I actually live in South Africa[/spoiler]
>>
File: Flag_of_Ghana.svg.png (22 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Ghana.svg.png
22 KB, 2000x1333
>>1096410
I liked Ghana a lot.
>>
>>1096555
audibly keked
That shut him up.
>>
>>1096537
>if you don't agree with me don't post at all!

You are the one who should fuck off.
>>
>>1096365
nor Sierra Leone.

I'd just go to south africa if i were you, OP
>>
>>1096458
The Germans also got practice on killing a whole lot of people there.
>>
>>1096566
Ghana? That sounds like something I could catch.
>>
>>1096951
Quit this bullshit. It was a guerilla war started by the Nama, waged and supported by the british from betshuanaland. After murdering civilians German forces pushed the nama forces into the semi-desert.
There were no concentration camps like the british used against the Boers.
>>
>>1096423
>tfw I will never get to be a White immigrant to South Africa who works hard in a place full of opportunities, and then get to raise my family in a big house in the countryside with tonnes of land, playing rugby with my sons every night

Why did South Africa have to go up in flames?
>>
>>1097575
Because people were allowed to loot the place and nobody was allowed to point fingers or otherwise be accused of racists.
>>
>>1096962
Mostly Herero died. Love your revisionist history.
>>
>>1096326
>Is the galaxy worth visiting or is it as big of a hellhole as Star Wars says it is?

kek
>>
According to this video Namibia is replete with gorgeous women and they all have cute accents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOj_NvfTLUU
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.