[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is traveling a good treatment for depression?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: 1455638952062.jpg (69 KB, 750x714) Image search: [Google]
1455638952062.jpg
69 KB, 750x714
Is traveling a good treatment for depression?
>>
Not really.
>>
Clinical depression or just feeling bummed out (which most people refer to as depression anyways). The latter, yes. The former no.
>>
>>1093074
Clinical depression.
>>
>>1093069
Always m8
>>
>>1093075
Maybe a short getaway with family and friends near home would be good. Going overseas far from your support networks not so good.
>>
>>1093087
>Going overseas far from your support networks not so good.
On the other hand it can help when it comes to getting over that stuck in a rut depression cycle. It really depends on the person.
>>
File: 41r8iQ2.jpg (39 KB, 378x378) Image search: [Google]
41r8iQ2.jpg
39 KB, 378x378
It's not a treatment but thinking about traveling to a few places before killing myself helps a bit.
>>
I'm not depressed but I doubt it.
Still, better than sitting alone in your dark house, eh? If you're asking this question, sounds like you want to travel whether it'll cure you or no. Depressed people are still entitled to go out and have fun.
>>
>>1093069
Seeing as people with real depression can barely stand, I doubt it.
>>
if you go out to travel just expecting everything to fall in your lap and you become a social butterfly, you are mistaken BUT travelling is a lot of fun, and if you're depressed, putting yourself into a purely free situation to go and explore things as they come is a good idea. It also involves a lot of responsibility and planning which could give you 'purpose'.

Its also a lot of fun, and although you can't expect people on the road to totally emphasize with you - you can expect the lack of commitment to open people up to you, and vice versa

travelling is being misconstrued as some kind of miracle drug for all ailments. It is not. It is however a worthwhile endeavor which will lead you down some good paths
>>
>>1093152
That's a new one lol.
>>
>>1093174
Not sure what you mean by that, could you elaborate?
>>
Diet, exercise, etc.
ketamine
>>
>>1093183
I've seen a lot of doctors and none of them think like that.
>>
It could help, but it's not a cure.

A certain part of depression comes from thinking about the same problems over and over again. Travelling could help you focus on other things, like the problems at hand. It could give you a different perspective on your old problems.

Exercise also helps with depression, so you could even combine the two. Like hiking or bicycle touring.

If you want to do that, be sure it's either someplace near you or in places with good healthcare and english skills.
>>
>>1093071
This. You'll run out of money, and it will return
>>
>>1093069
probably not. problems will still be at home when you come back.
>>
Don't. It'll become a neverending obsession that makes you even more miserable. I'm speaking from experience.
>>
>>1093167
>if you go out to travel just expecting everything to fall in your lap and you become a social butterfly, you are mistaken

>mfw that's exactly what happened
>>
You'll still have the same problems once you get home, unless you're a dumb kid who thinks drinking beer with strangers in a hostel is going to revolutionize your personality or some bullshit. My advice would be to work your way up to travelling to a real third world shithole. Not because it'll make you appreciate what you have and all that jazz, but if you take it well and adjust quickly, it'll make the challenges you face at home a little easier, especially when theres no corpses on the side of the road and people actually stop at traffic lights etc
>>
It very much is if you're rich and attractive.

If you're poor (so you eventually run out of money and have to go back to a shit life) or ugly (so that everyone treats you like shit), then no, nothing will help you and life will always be hell.
>>
>>1093193
Never heard of catatonic depression?
>>
>this thread
OF COURSE IT IS!
get out there do new people fuck new things
learn to appreciate what you have or throw it all away and find something new
Do SOMETHING
>>
>>1093188
I can vouch for this
>>
>>1093419
What if you are from a third world country?
>>
>>1093505
Thanks bro!
>>
Is that why weabs romanticize japan so much? Depression so they think japan will cure them ?
>>
>>1093505
This is the problem with people confusing clinical depression with "depression".
>>
>>1093576
This is the problem with faggots who need to tell everyone they are depressed snowflakes
>ugh its CLINICAL depression that i have not normal depression everyone pretends to have
>im unique because a doctor said i have CLINICAL depression
>i better correct these people on this travel board as to what kind of depression they are talking about because my unique depression is special and not everyone can have it
>>
>>1093591
this lel
>>
>>1093576
Yeah it's absolutely infuriating the way people compare such a crippling and debilitating disease to merely the feeling of sadness. It really devaluates actually having depression, from a social standpoint.

>>1093069
Don't do it faggot. For some people it helps, for some it doesn't. Why traveling when you will highly likely not have a good time?
>>
>>1093069
It is if you like traveling.

Otherwise no.
>>
>>1093591
>>1093600
Seeing as I'm not depressed, I'm hardly talking about myself. I've worked on a psych ward, and I personally think these people who say they're "depressed" even though they're apparently able to go travelling and have a good time is pretty insulting to all the people who have had their lives destroyed by the disorder, or have killed themselves.

But then again I really shouldn't expect better than this, 4chan is a bastion for the uninformed.
>>
>>1093591
>>1093600
>>1093688
Also, Major Depressive Disorder is what it's called in the damn DSM.

Do you really think you should talk with such confidence on this issue when you clearly know next to nothing about it?
>>
>>1093145
because it's another way out. Travel frees you, at least in the short term.
>>
>>1093074
>Clinical depression or just feeling bummed out (which most people refer to as depression anyways). The latter, yes. The former no.
No, that's not the distinction between the two definitions. It means other than bummed out, you have ticked many items on the depression questionnaire checklist, so many symptoms numbering into the "medicate" range, where it seriously affects your day to day abilities to focus, perform your job duties, maintain relationships, or not feel bad. You may also have suicidal ideations that are unwanted. The "clinic" part of the word means that it needs to be treated by medical personnel. Feeling only bummed out might be 2 or 3 on the scale, and until you've checked off 7 or more, most psychiatrists wouldn't even prescribe more than a sleep aid. But at 7 or higher, they want you to stop thinking you can self-medicate or do this on your own.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.