[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Want to go abroad for 4-6 months. Where to go and what to do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 773818877587667014.jpg (41 KB, 800x362) Image search: [Google]
773818877587667014.jpg
41 KB, 800x362
Dear /trv/,

Last week I broke up with my GF and so now my travel plans are paper blank as well. I'll probably graduate from my Master's somewhere in July and while I am sure that I would like to 'go abroad', I have no clue where to go whatsoever! I hope you could give me some ideas. I come from the Netherlands.

I would like to use this travel trip to get to know myself better and to do stuff that I have never done before, like yoga, playing guitar and helping people improve their lives (help, development project) and try to write some songs.

>Travel experience
- Went with parents to Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa and a lot of other places.
- Went with friends and exGF to places such as France, Italy, U.K. and other places in Europe (festivals, roadtrips and small weekend trips.)
- Went to Singapore on my own to study there for a semester and afterwards travelled on my own in Asia for 1,5 month.

>Options and suggestions I got from friends and relatives
- New Zealand & Australia (with working on the side. However I have no idea where to find temporary job vacancies at farms or shit like that).
- South America (lefty side, from Educuador to Chile, for example)
- North America or Canada? (however, I am not sure if doing this on my own is a good idea for the U.S.)

>Thoughts of my own:
- Finally obtain my Dive Master's certificate on the Dutch Antilles, or somewhere else, and travel further.
- Just randomly pick a spot from the world globe and just go.
- Do a development project through an organization or IDK, help to build waterwells and shit.

I want to see as much of the world as possible, including hard to reach places like Antarctica. Nature is always good and I'm sure that around the globe, there will be a lot of other backpackers whom I can connect with. My total savings include 18,000 euros but I'd rather not spend all on it this trip.

I know it's pretty generic but I was hoping you could give me some advice or tips anyway /trv/. Thanks in advance!
>>
Did the lefty side of South America. Peru -> Ushuaia, Argentina. Spent ~$9000 over 6 months or $50 a day. Worked on a farm in Chile for 1 month through WorkAway.

Pros:
- Nature
- Learning spanish
- Fairly cheap
- Can easily find or avoid backpackers
>>
>>1090070
Nice! Did you have any difficulties with safety while travelling solo?
>>
>>1090083during my travels through south america only Brazil was quite risky. I consider Cuba the most safe
>>
>>1090154
I heard stories about Brazil and Argentina to be risky, especially at night. Would be better perhaps for me to do left side. Any problems with Spanish cus me no hablo Espanol.

Also, still looking for other ideas!
>>
I am Peruvian. Peru has plenty of places in the city where development is needed. I am currently studying in Sydney for 6 months on an exchange program.

The food scene in Lima is insane. Food is amazing and for all prices you can find good food.

Sydney is also nice. Obviously a more modern city. Only been here for 3 weeks so can't comment much desu.
>>
New Zealand is pretty nice too.
>>
Interesting thread.
I also looking for different volunteering opportunities. For me it's fine to pay for tickets but food and accommodation should be payed by organization.
I know about sites as wwoof, helpx, workaway. They are the same but maybe you guys know some organizations.
>>
>>1091300
OP here. Thanks for those sites! It would be cool to work on a wine farm in NZ for a couple of weeks.
>>
>>1091300
There is also : helpstay and volunteersbase (free!) that I know of.

From what I read workaway and helpx seem the best organizations. I don't like wwoof because your membership only work for one country.

I'm personally going to England next month and will be looking for a job at first and then I hope to find a volunteering opportunity in a farm.
>>
>>1091659
Thanks for links. I'm personally prefer to stay with some organization and to help them not to some hipsters who decide "go green". So I will look for organizations in poor countries. But damn they are asking for money so often (yea I'm working for them for free and I need to pay for that, lol).
>>
>>1091300
Couch surfing. It isn't a work trade but I've always had a good time. Great way to socialize with locals who know the area well
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.