[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cities in the UK to work as a waiter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: waiter.jpg (27 KB, 548x365) Image search: [Google]
waiter.jpg
27 KB, 548x365
People who live in the UK or have travelled around it: What are some good cities in the UK to work in as a waiter? I've tried Leeds for a week but I didn't like the city and couldn't find anything full time and I decided to switch cities. Could I get some recommendations?
>>
>>1089169
brighton is a nice city, their entire economy is service based so there should be a good job market
>>
Could try Liverpool? It's much nicer than Leeds, which I dislike too, and every other business opening is a hotel or restaurant. Plenty of signs in windows for waiting staff etc. I like the vibe but I live here and don't know your likes etc.

Manchester too? Like Liverpool in terms of amount of service businesses but bigger. It's like Leeds in some ways too, but far prettier and interesting.

Then there is London, it speaks for itself.
>>
>>1089169
Do they make good tips?
>>
I genuinely don't understand why foreigners would want to do this. What is it about the UK that makes you want to work long hours for pretty bad money in a job where the majority of people treat you like shit? I'd do it if it allowed me to live in a genuinely interesting country, but personally I find the majority of the UK so dull and uninspiring - if it wasn't for all my family being here I'd make plans to leave without a moment's hesitation.

t. British waiter/barman who hates his job
>>
>>1089169
Glasgow.

New restaurants pop up everywhere. Furthermore, assuming that you are foriegn (and from EU), you will have no problems getting a job. A lot of these restaurants in Glasgow won't hire a Brit because they know that he/she will leave straight away due to what the other anon has mentioned, long hours, bad money and people treat you like shit, it would be too much for the average spoiled Brit.

How long you planning on staying? My dad original came over from France as a 17 year old waiter. He now owns a really successful business.
>>
>>1089169
Bristol is a great city, my favourite city in the UK, great culture and a very chilled out place. Obviously London is the best place for tourists and tips but it's mega expensive, you could try somewhere like York or Bath which have high tourist concentrations, although you would get a lot of competition for jobs.

Oxford is maybe another shout although all the students mean a lot of competition.
>>
>>1089483
I don't think OP speaks Glaswegian though.

Edinburgh might be a better shout as more tourists and slightly easier to understand the accent.
>>
>>1089329

Because you make better money in the UK, is this not obvious? Of course it's better to work with a job that requires a degree, but a lot of people can't be assed doing that or are not in the position to be able to study or just want to work for example in the Summer during uni.

Want to know why there's so many Poles? The minimum wage in Poland is GBP is about 1.50 an hour (after tax). The cost of living is about maybe 2x cheaper but you're making 4x less money. The average salary in Poland is less than what you'd make working in McDonalds in the UK. They don't mind shitty jobs because for them it's good money.

What do you guys think of Birmingham?
>>
>>1089169
There's some great cities to live in U.K for cheap! Brighton and Portsmouth is two options... not that big but easy to find job, and definitely cheaper than London !!!
>>
>>1089680
Recently lived in Brum (moved to the outskirts in the past year) been here for about 6 years, working in city centre for most of that.

It's a pretty decent city, quite lively with plenty of decent restaurants, bars etc, although a lot of chains so you have to look for the diamonds.

Quite a few hot ladies and doesn't feel as claustrophobic as London. Public transport is reasonable, property prices / rent is reasonable depending on where you go.

Large student population and the people are pretty relaxed and easy to get on with. Although the local accents pretty fucking awful.
>>
>>1089680
I take your point and understand why you might want to do it if you're sending money back home and/or wanting to return to your home country after a few years and be rich, but if you're alone and wanting to make a new life for yourself in the UK, I can't really understand it. Yes wages are higher, but so is cost of living, and I'd be willing to bet that actual lifestyle is very similar, but you'd have to put up with being a foreigner in a shitty country where people are becoming increasingly anti-immigration. Just my opinion.

I live near Birmingham and I'm not a big fan of the city, but as you might have guessed I'm not a big fan of anywhere in the UK. Still, I think there are far better cities to live in if you have the choice, such as Bath, Bristol, York, Edinburgh and probably a few others. Places like Birmingham, London, Manchester and Liverpool would be an absolute last resort for me, but I know people who live there and love it. I guess it just depends on what your priorities are.

>>1089483
Yes because not wanting to be treated like shit makes you 'spoiled'.

I agree that many Brits are lazy and perhaps spoiled, but why should they be grateful for jobs with long hours where both managers and customers treat them like they're disposable, unskilled, and worthless? If some immigrant is willing to work for half of the minimum wage because s/he comes from a poor country and has no other option, what is the average British worker supposed to do? Work for even less and accept a shitty lifestyle where they'll be further subjugated, just to prove they're not lazy? There's no easy solution, and unfortunately our welfare state means that people can lead a pretty comfortable life without working at all.

I used to hate the smug Polish people at school who used to call British people lazy because they weren't willing to be treated like slaves. In general Poles are pretty bro-tier though.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.