[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /trv/, Working full time as a waiter, want to book a month
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 655x399) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 655x399
Hey /trv/,

Working full time as a waiter, want to book a month trip to Finland/Eastern Europe
I live in Vancouver and play computer games during my time off. I'm not very good at talking to people or doing things in the real world. My hope is to do a technology detox and use the vacation as a way to distract me from withdrawal, and actually talk to people.

I'm thinking of walking/hitchhiking with my dslr camera and camping.

Wondering if any one here had similar issues, stories of how they overcame addiction/social ineptitude through travel. I would love to hear your stories and any recommendations for my trip.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 510x330) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 510x330
>>1089020
Was thinking of camping /staying in hostels, maybe going to church services, talking with the waiter at a cafe maybe. I'd like to think a Fin on a rural road would be open to conversation.

I assume you've been there - what was your experience?
I am white, pic related is my flag, and my grandfather fought under it. I hate seeing mudslimes wearing the maple leaf.
>>
>>1089001
Are you a virgin?
>>
>>1089034
I would be if a 5/10 insecure girl didn't take pity on me in grade 10 and make the first move by writing me a heart ful letter when school finished for the year and then 7 months later ask for sex when I hadn't even masturbated yet at 15 years of age
>>
Finland is a really boring and expensive country, it's really not a country to visit because there's not a lot to see. You'll think 'YEAH I'LL GO HELSINKI, TURKU, PORI, VAASA, JYVASKYLA, OULU, ROVANIEMI, WOW SO FAR NORTH MUST BE AMAZING, LAHTI YEAH!' and all these cities are the same. Add to that that Finns have no culture, and it's a boring place to go
>>
>>1089082
This sounds harsh, but there is truth to it. I'm a Britfag, living in Finland for 8 years. I'd definitely encourage people to visit here, but only for the nature. The cities are all pretty much the same, and Finland doesn't really have much history.

However, the Finns are friendly, even if they don't really appear so to outsiders. I have done a lot of hitch-hiking around Finland and met some very interesting and kind, friendly people.

So, OP, please do come to Finland. You'll enjoy walking and hitch-hiking and camping. All are VERY easy to do here.
>>
>>1089001
If you do go to Finland either stay in the south, ie. Helsinki, Turku and the Archipelago/Ă…land or go north to Lapland and hike. There's nothing but shit in between.
>>
>>1089001
>Finland/Eastern Europe
>Tech detox

Maybe if you stick to the wilderness. People long for a tech detox here as well.
>>
Hey OP,

I took my first long trip between my sophomore and junior years of university, when I was 19. I worked a couple of delivery jobs to get my finances in order, flew off to Istanbul, and spent about four months bouncing around Turkey, Greece, northern Iraq, the Caucuses, and India. The next summer I hitchhiked around Iceland, flew to Scotland, and then thumbed most of the way from London to Istanbul before carrying on to India and living there for some time.

I've traveled a fair amount since then. For my first two trips, I did my best to leave technology behind. On the second, I even went so far as leaving my smartphone behind. I had an amazing time, made a lot of new friends, and perhaps most importantly, really learned to start believing in myself. All the places I've gone and things I've done over the last three years have built my confidence and people skills tremendously.

As others have said, I don't know if Scandinavia is the best place to try and get out of your bubble. But honestly, the most important thing to do is step outside of your comfort zone, take some risks, and put yourself into new and strange situations which force you to be social and find novel ways to interact with others.

The culmination of my travels has led me from being a hardcore autismo sperglord (I couldn't even sit at the same table as a girl in my last year of high school; I'd get up and go eat in the hallway or bathroom) to somebody with friends in plenty of countries, a healthy and varied sexual history, and a now 1.5-year old relationship.
>>
>>1089031

Also, please keep the stupid /pol/ and /int/ banter off /trv/.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.