[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What to pack for one year?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: EtiK4.jpg (633 KB, 2056x1542) Image search: [Google]
EtiK4.jpg
633 KB, 2056x1542
I want to leave my job and start to travel in a budget. What to bring in my backpack?
What could be essential stuff ?
>>
File: 1424180970557.jpg (3 KB, 193x251) Image search: [Google]
1424180970557.jpg
3 KB, 193x251
Multi-tool (leatherman, Alien tool if you're a cyclist, Rambo knife if you're delusional)
Sharpie
Duct tape (wrap it around the sharpie to save space)
Standard 50' clothesline you can get at Walmart (holy shit, I never used it as a clothesline but it was fucking invaluable)
Towel
Learn to use a straight razor, they're great. Or just buy disposables, whatever
Compass
Smartphone (Let's not play games, it's the best thing ever)
Small flashlight
Deck of cards/ hacky sack/ social game of choice (Make friends, stupid!)
>>
why the compass dude? there are also many knifes. Will they be neccesary?
>>
#&%/"@ I found gold...!

https://youtu.be/H6DE3GOXM9o
>>
Yeah, what's up with all the knifes? Leatherman will do. Also it all pretty much depends on where you wanna go.

>>1079732
this is pretty good.

painkillers
something against diarrhea
plasters and stuff for blisters on your feet
sunscreen
light rain jacket (there's like foldable stuff)
raincover for your backpack if it doesn't have one included
power bank for your phone
a nice book
toilet paper
chlorine tablets to purify water if you go camping
mosquito spray & something to put on mosquito bites
>>
>>1079727
Definitely take the room fan and the crocs
>>
why do americans have all those room fans

I watch that guy sam hyde and he's always punching one of those no matter where he is
>>
>>1079727
Whoever's gear that is, they have really shitty taste in clothes. Or was this some kind of contest to find the drabbest, blandest clothes possible? And the Crocs -- does anyone with a single functioning braincell wear Crocs any more?
>>
>>1079942

Travelling is not about fashion
>>
>>1079943
>Travelling is not about fashion
Really? Why not? Do you lose your Real Travelerâ„¢ cred if you don't look like an absolute piece of dress-in-the-dark shit?
>>
>>1079733
>compass
Walking out of a station and knowing which way is north helps a lot. You get lost much less with a compass.
I have a little one on my day pack shoulder strap.
>>
>>1079727
I took my job with me and did this for a year and had less gear and more clothes than that OP pic.

Lose the books, take only digital stuff wherever possible. I had a laptop and a USB hard drive that had a fresh backup every week. A small power board is very useful, a document case for the paperwork that you actually need to keep. I second the clothesline except that I used 3m x 2mm abseilling cord.

A daypack with a laptop pocket is pretty handy. Make sure everything locks shut and can be locked to seat or rack. Makes it way easier to go to the restaurant car or the toilet in a station.
>>
>>1079727
Compression bags are invaluable but gets ones that don't have big valves or need pumps.
>>
>>1079958
I can vouch for this. A compass has helped me greatly in finding my hostel
>>
How do you guys keep your dress shirts and pants wrinkle free when traveling? I want to look good when going out but for t-shirts I just roll them up in my backpack and I used to just wear jeans when going out but feel I need to start looking classier.
>>
Be aware that some countries have strict laws about knives. Also, remember your visas, don't overstay.
>>
No bullshit. I have a 55l mainpack with 3 eagle creek zip compression bags and a clothing folder. Plus a small backpack for valuables.

I wouldt worry about 90 percent of the stuff mentioned above. In case you need anything just buy it once youre there, including medication.

Focus your thinking on stuff you can exclusively get back home. Like a international drivers licence. Designer clothes can be expensive in some countries because of luxury tax. Same goes for electronics.
>>
>>1079943
I just wouldnt feel comfortable at all wearing hiking clothes or these fucking elephant pants. I might be overdoing it with my skinny jeans in mumbai heat but whatever.

Also what's with the obsession with outdoor gearing. Most people carry 10kg of that shit with them and use it once
>>
>>1079965
Yes, agreed, a compass is useful. But get the smallest one you can find. >>1079958 is right, all you really need is to find north when walking out of the train station.
>>
>>1079727
Bring you credit card with all the cash in it that you would have wasted on stuff you don't need.
You need a change of clothes and that's all.
>>
>>1079732
>hacky sack
gtfo you real traveler backpacking cunt
>>
>>1079732
>>1079743
Above and:

T-Shirt and probably light long arm shirt made of Merino wool. Even if you sweat a lot on outdoor activities, you can wear at least one week without washing and it does not stink! So you don't need much replacements.

Replace leatherman by multi func swiss army knife.

Replace crocks by sandals, much more functional.

Needle and thread and tape repairs everything.

And of course: depending on where to go and what to do and where to stay.

Have fun!
>>
>>1080041

implying people in mumbai havent heard of skinny jeans in 2016 come on mate it's one of the biggest cititesin da world.
>>
>>1081048
I also take a portable boiler wand...

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Immersion-Water-Heater-Voltage/dp/B000AXS0UE

If I want to make some quick noodles, tea, coffee etc I don't have the hassle of wandering the streets trying to find a vendor!
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.