[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Flying phobia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: whyyyyyy.png (254 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
whyyyyyy.png
254 KB, 600x337
> Are you afraid of flying?
> How do you overcome it?

I am going to be on a 12 hours flight soon and im freaking out, just dont like flying :(.

Advices to a newbie?
>>
I have antianxiety medication in case I'm super uncomfortable. However,
-plan your time
-have loads to occupy yourself
I do books, knitting, movies, rest, snack time... I watch a movie, then knit, etc to keep myself focused on tasks.

I also talk myself through it--relax, it's ok, breathe, etc. Find a phrase that helps.

Good luck!
>>
board in a tired state (have an alarm clock so you only sleep 5-6 hours that day or something).
Then, order rum & coke.

Works like a charm.
>>
Have a playlist of your utmost favourite songs
Take two books (you'll get agitated with one and go to the other)
Blanket, keep you warm/get cold if you want
Helps talking to someone as you take off and land
>>
I was extremely anxious on my last flight. Then food came, I ate and I didn't give a fuck if I died.
>>
I wouldn't be able to take the plane if it wasn't for ativan and Katawa Shoujo's soundtrack.

Send help.
>>
>>1079105
super scared of this shit.
Spent 2 days on trans. sib.

Rate me
>>
What are you afraid of?
>>
>>1079105
Technically speaking, if something were to go wrong, there is a higher probability of it happening during takeoff or during landing. Once you are up there, statistically, there is little chance of anything going wrong.
That being said, I understand your fear.
I regularly do 13+ hour flights, and there are certain areas where turbulence gets pretty bad.

As the other anons said, keep yourself busy, and see if you can get your hands on some sleeping pills or xanax, it can help chill you out.
>>
I was (and still am) afraid of flying. I recently went to Qatar and Thailand. Here's what I did to prepare for my flights:

-Watch flying videos on youtube. Especially ones that show the pilot piloting the plane and from the cockpit. Knowing the amount of effort, training and handling that is used to fly a plane safely, with lots of measures around safety was quite calming for me.
- fly some planes in GTA5. I don't know why but flying a plane in GTA5 calmed me down. They way I was in control of the plane, how I could land it and set off with ease. what would happen if the engine failed or something went wrong etc reassured me and made me a bit more confident with flying.
Lastly, fly with a well known, secure airline, not some cheap budget one.
>>
>>1079105
If you live in the Midwestern united States, ask anyone in the trailer park where to get Xanax. Take 2 of them and parachute 'em 30 minutes before boarding. Parachuting is where you crush up a pill, wrap the powder in a zig zag, and swallow it. If you can't get Xanax, Valium works, just dont use oxycontin, I knew a guy who died from that shit (don't worry, he was a cunt anyways). Ketamine also works but it is a completely illegal substance and it fucks you right up, you'll be visibly impaired.
>>
I have more anxiety about all the pre-flight stuff more than being on the plane: making sure I have all the right papers, assholes in the airport (at tickets and when boarding), TSA going through my stuff, etc.
I have a 17 hour flight later this year.
>>
>>1079285
Im afraid of something going wrong and the plane crash...
>>1079288
How often do you get these 13+ hour flights?

Thank you all for the replies, I will try getting aboard in a tired state.
And also, how often do you guys get these 10+ hours flight?
>>
>>1079349
But why are you afraid of that with planes but not with cars or trains? You have no reason to be.
>>
>>1079363
The funniest part is that last year I had a severe car accident where I almost lost my life. Ironic.
>>
>>1079349
About 4-5 times a year, return flights from Asia back to Europe.
Bad turbulence is usually over the bay of bengal and over afghanistan.
Been taking these flights for many years, and I'm still here anon.
What airline you flying? From where to where?
>>
>>1079440
That kinda makes me feel better, heh. Really, I get to see some statistics and I get a little relief.

Im traveling with Lufthansa from Brazil to Germany (business trip). That's my first time travelling 100% alone and second time taking a 10+ hours flight, hence why im freaking out I guess.
>>
>>1079477
well look up how air travel is the safest mode of travel because its alot better than driving.
>>
>>1079485
This may come as big news to you but fears and phobias tend to be mostly irrational.
>>
>>1079477
You'll be fine anon, Luftwaffe is a decent airline.
>>
>>1079105
I didn't have any problems flying until i recently made a trip to the Philippines. I was starting to get dizzy and have mild panic attacks. I really focused hard on reading something, watching a movie, anything.

Before my trip back I got a drug with Meclizine in it, that helps with motion sickness/vertigo. Many of these you don't need a prescription for, like Bonine. It made the trip so much more comfortable. I was actually able to relax and enjoy the flight.
>>
>>1079600
I've noticed my anxiety during flight is greatly reduced when I'm in business class compared to economy.
Strange.
>>
I had the same problem. I hate flying but managed to do quite well on my 8 he flight to Central America. The trick was to get in a state where u don't care if u die becuSe chances r u will be completely fine. I achieved this by drinking alcohol. I snuck on a few of those 1oz shot bottles and drank pre boarding and got a few free drinks on flight. Also I took 2 Benadryl which is over the counter in USA, they make u drowsy so u will either pass right out or become so sleepy all u care about is sleep and don't even care if u die all u wanna do is sleep.
Moral of the story drink alcohol and take meds that make u drowsy or sleep. Make sure u r not hung over from night before when flying as this will increase anxiety, that being said if u r hung over drink some alcohol.
Have fun
>>
>>1079105
a lot of good responses but I'll tell you what made me feel better about flying. Stick with me past my first point as I doubt it will make you feel any better anon

1. It's absolutely beautiful up there anon. I guarantee that you will die someday, why not go out with one of the most majestic views you'll ever see?

2. Now for the real truth of how I got better about it. One poster touched on it about watching pilot videos and whatnot but what I did was I learned everything I could about the scariest parts of flying. I know what causes turbulence, where you're more likely to run into turbulence and what a plane speeding up and slowing down sounds like.

3. Sit on the wing, it will be the smoothest part of the plane and the most stable.

Another poster mentioned you not being afraid of cars and I was the same way. For me the plane freaked me out because I had no control over anything. I'm not stupid and I know my no-training ass would never be able to land a plane in an emergency but my dumb ass believes in myself so much I think I could. Thus not being at the controls in case something went wrong was very nerve racking for me.

Finally anon if you do get nervous or worry or anything here is what I do to calm myself: look at the flight attendants. These people fly allll the time so if they're still serving drinks or moving around everything is probably A ok.

I fly about 2x a year, with one of those being from the midwest USA to Vegas. The small airport I leave from has a tiny runway so takeoffs are quick and a little scary and there is always turbulence over the Rockies. Landing at the same small airport also sucks due to that runway and how little room there is to slow down. Am always worried they will overshoot or something.

>TL;DR
educate yourself about whatever scares you about flying. knowledge is power.

godspeed anon
>>
>>1079105

Man....modern airliners - especially the widebodies - are so overengineered it's not even comprehensible.

There is nothing - nothing - that will knock them out of the sky.
>>
File: 1445861523124.gif (27 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1445861523124.gif
27 KB, 480x480
Turbulence used to freak me the hell out. Until I did some research and such.
Eventually I just compared them to speed bumps and pot holes.

Getting to the airport early and having all your papers in order will reduce your anxiety drastically.

Go the bathroom before you board the plane. Even if you dont really need to. Chances are the boarding and take off will take so long you'll start to feel the need to go when the seat-belt sign is on.

I'd advise not to take a sleeping pill. I say that because I cannot fall asleep on a plane for the life of me and there's nothing worse than being drugged up on a sleeping pill unable to fall asleep.

Acknowledge that you cant control anything, give up your sense of control. The people in charge of flying the plane, guiding the plane, etc are all qualified people and there are thousands of safety standards in check.

Wear something comfortable. The more comfortable you are; the less stressed you'll be. Dress in layers so that you can take things off or on depending whether you're in the airport, flying in the plane or landing at your destination. Wear pants with a stretchable midriff and shoes that can be easily removed.
>>
If you're worried about turbulence, you should watch youtube vidoes of manufacturers stress testing the wings

You'll see how far they can bend before they break
>>
>>1080916
>I'd advise not to take a sleeping pill. I say that because I cannot fall asleep on a plane for the life of me and there's nothing worse than being drugged up on a sleeping pill unable to fall asleep.
this is the fucking worst, seriously.

I have flown a lot in my life and I'm not afraid of it, but I'm pretty tall and can never get comfortable enough to sleep. Tried the method above and it was absolute torture. At one point I was thinking "I'm too tired to fall asleep" I was so out of my mind.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.