[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guatemala
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: guagamooloo.jpg (348 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
guagamooloo.jpg
348 KB, 1024x768
Please share interesting stories, travelling tips and stories relating to Guatemala. My partner and I are planning to travel here in March for a few weeks.

Is renting a motorcycle to get around possible/something worth doing?
>>
>>1076826
Anyone been to Guatemala?
>>
>>1077018
Never been, but if you are there around Easter, check out the amazing giant kites...
>>
>>1077024
I had never heard of the kites, before. Thanks, anon. But after looking up the celebration it's actually around Day of the Dead, which is in November; it's not around Easter.
>>
>>1076826
I was on tour there with my band in 2014. The coolast thing was renting a guy who drove us up and into a volcano where we to a dip in the crater lake. Apparently the guy was keeping his machete ready at all times because he thought we would sacrefice him to the devil(we looked pretty metal). Played a show in Antigua which was a very lovely traditional town. Extremly beautiful country side, scary as fuck inner cities at night.
>>
>>1076826
I've been there 4 times for 2 weeks to a month each time. Been around a lot of the country, with the exception of the Atlantic coast. I think renting a motorcycle could work, but keep in mind driving can be pretty dangerous there (at least compared to the USA), so I'd opt for a car instead if you're not very comfortable with a motorcycle. If you have any other questions, let me know
>>
Guatemalan here, what are your interests?
>>
>>1077455
>>1077532
Thanks for your replies. I've heard things about Antigua and am very interested. I would love to see some volcanoes and travel to a volcanic lake.

>>1077570
What's a good plan for a trip of around 3 weeks? Where would you start and end up? I am not interested in super touristy locations. I'd love a more nature focused adventure. I want to see some ruins, too, though.
>>
>>1077570
Also, can you give some general safety tips? Anything in particular we should watch out for?
>>
>>1077570
I'm headed there in a couple of weeks after Mexico. I'd like to do Acatenango... Any other hikes that you recommend? And/or local guides for Acatenango? I'm really set on hiking the 25th but many groups leave on Wednesday or Saturday
>>
File: 24740635421_128a20199b_k.jpg (954 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
24740635421_128a20199b_k.jpg
954 KB, 2048x1365
>>1078469

The obvious start and end is Guatemala city because of the airport.
All the touristic locations are nature or ruins type

Also check out this video facebook com/147138845390667/videos/788780187893193/ it shows a lot of nature attractions

>good plan for a trip of around 3 weeks
This would be for my personal taste:

Guatemala - Antigua. If you want to see nature/ruins don't stay in the city and go directly to Antigua. People offer you a ride from the airport to Antigua for like 15 dollars. Antigua is one of the most tourist places in Guatemala but it's a must visit, and there are a lot ruins there.
Antigua - Atitlán lake (Panajachel). You will find a lot of tourist offices in Antigua that can get you there.
Once you are in Panajachel you can go to the nearby towns by boat.
Panajachel - Quetzaltenango. Also you will find touristic transport to this destination. Quetzaltenango is the second largest city, take a look to the hot spring called "aguas georginas"
Quetzaltenango - Huehuetenango. It would be better if you look for a private transport
Huehuetenango - Cobán. When in Cobán be sure to go to Lachua, Lanquin and Semuc Champey, there's a lot of nature in Cobán so you can research a little more.
Cobán - Izabal. recommended places: Río Dulce, Puerto Barrios, Punta de Palma, Livingston.
Izabal - Petén. Flores, Tikal, El mirador. Lots of nature and ruins there.

You can take a flight from Petén to Guatemala city, or you can take a bus
>>
File: chicken-buses-9[6].jpg (151 KB, 790x434) Image search: [Google]
chicken-buses-9[6].jpg
151 KB, 790x434
>>1078610
Apart from the usual, being alert and keep an eye on your belongings, never get into a chicken bus (pic related) as they are very dangerous. They get robbed very often and there are a lot accidents too.

About the bike, I wouldn't recommend it. Roads are in bad condition and traffic tends to be very chaotic

If you will be here in the holy week, you will find a lot of celebrations, maybe traffic and streets closed to cars, these are very beautiful days, full of colour and traditions, but also people and pickpockets. If you would like to see these celebrations be sure to be in Antigua or Quetzaltenango (Guatemala city counts too!)
>>
File: 24157642576_1a8802bc9c_o.jpg (2 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
24157642576_1a8802bc9c_o.jpg
2 MB, 5184x3456
>>1078632
I'm not a hiker person, but I would recommend the Tajumulco and Tacaná as they are the tallest volcanoes here.
Other suggestions could be Fuego and Agua (pic related). If you go to the Agua volcano, be sure to get a guide, or a large group as sometimes people get robbed while hiking there

A very easy hike is the Ipala volcano. This volcano has a little lake on its crater. very beautiful
>>
>>1076826
I spent about a month in Guatemala from about the middle of December until January. I did this:
>Antigua/ Acatenango hike
>Semuc Champey
>Lake Atitlan (San Marcos and Santiago)
>Antigua again for a Spanish course

Semuc Champey is absolutely fantastic and the hostel I stayed in was one of the best I've ever been to. The Lake is cool, filled with hippies though. Antigua is great. I really wish I went to Tikal and Flores but I had to get to El Salvador to meet a friend and couldnt get there. In three weeks I would probably go to Antigua, Lake Atitlan, Semuc Champey and Tikal. Pretty standard route and you would be able to fit it all in.
>>
>>1079263
What hostel was that? Was it in Lanquin or semuc champey?
>>
>>1079026
>>1079033
>>1079035
>>1079263

OP here, thank you so much for all this great info. I'm going to be booking tickets and constructing a more solid plan soon, so I'll share what I decide upon if I can.

When you were travelling through what did you bring? Did you travel with a pack that you'd leave at your hostel, using a day pack when you went out for the day?
>>
>>1079371
You're welcome, OP, have a nice trip and welcome to my country
>>
>>1077028
My error -- many Caribbean and SA countries associate kite flying with Easter. and my brain cross-circuited.
>>
>>1079033

Are chicken buses that sketch? I was under the impression that they were the best and cheapest way to get around Central America.
>>
>>1079033
Is it really that bad? I could pass for Mexican/Central American/something Latin and I don't dress flashy. The only give away is that I do have a big backpack. Still super risky?
>>
>>1079387
>>1079390

>Are chicken buses that sketch?
Yes, they are https://newrepublic.com/article/113293/900-bus-drivers-dead-guatemala-city-worlds-most-dangerous-job

>best and cheapest way to get around Central America
Indeed they are http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3282635/Who-said-London-expensive-cheaper-travel-bus-capital-Tuk-Tuk-Bangkok.html

Robbers don't go for tourists, they go for everyone. Sometimes they hijack the bus for about 40 minutes, they rape women, they also fire their guns

They aboard the bus in a bus stop in the middle of nowhere. To prevent this, get a bus that doesn't stop until its destination, like a direct flight, cannot find the words to describe this in english.

A chicken bus ride for a 200 Km trip costs about 25 Quetzales. A private bus -in a pullman- for the same trip costs like 50 (about 7 dollars). It's twice the price but it's still cheap and you are secure.
>>
>>1079387
>>1079390

If you really want to have the experience to take a chicken bus ride, take a short trip in a touristic place. You can take a bus from Panajachel (Atitlán lake) to Sololá. It's cheap as fuck, short trip, secure, you will have an excellent view of the lake and you will know another town
>>
Are there any dangers of being injured?
>>
>>1079835
Actually no, unless you manage to get into a risky situation.
If you follow the basic (and obvious) rules to be alert, you will be fine.
Violence happen more often in the capital city, in non-turistic places, so even if you stay in Guatemala city you will be fine

>tl;dr: avoid the chicken buses
>>
or just dont go to these nigholes?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.