[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
r8 my lifetime travel itinerary. I'm still in school so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9
File: placestogo.png (105 KB, 1357x441) Image search: [Google]
placestogo.png
105 KB, 1357x441
r8 my lifetime travel itinerary. I'm still in school so I haven't been anywhere-yet, but I hope to visit all these places by the time I die. Help me add locations to any of the countries you see here, or suggest new countries to see.
Some of the things I like are
>architecture (especially old churches/medieval towns)
>mountains
>hiking
Stuff I don't like
>the beach
>fake cities like Dubai
Also use this as a general thread to post places you'd like to go.
>>
you can check out location aggregate sites and browse to your preferences.

I like this one: http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/hiran-minar
>>
Impressive list - I've been to quite a few of those in Europe and, yeah, most of those are pretty great. A few suggestions - those in capital letters are the best.

Italy - going from north to south: BERGAMO, Brescia, MANTOVA, Ravenna, Bologna, ORVIETO, NAPLES, LECCE, OTRANTO, MATERA

Germany - maybe Trier; but for sure the Rhine valley for the landscape, WURZBURG, Regensburg

Scotland - ST ANDREWS, Perth, Glasgow, the West Highlands (also along the Great Glen between Fort William and Inverness)

England - the South Downs (Sussex) and ARUNDEL, Canterbury, Lincoln, York, Oxford, CAMBRIDGE

Spain - Avila, SEGOVIA

A bit further east: Ukraine - Lviv, Kamyanets Podilsky, KIEV, ODESSA

Russia - NOVGOROD, ST PETERSBURG

Romania - THE PAINTED MONASTERIES OF MOLDOVIA

Georgia - TBILISI, UPLISTSIKHE CAVE CITY, Mtskheta, Davit Gareji Monastery and surrounds

Armenia - Etchmiadzin, and the landscapes of the north of the country

Turkey - ISTANBUL (god-tier, seriously)

Uzbekistan - SAMARKAND (can't overstate how amazing this is), BUKHARA,
>>
>>1070541
many thanks. I screencapped your comment and added it to the spreadsheet.
>>
>Switzerland
I'd love to visit the Swiss Alps, especially the Bernerse Oberland and go up to the Jungfraujoch via the Jungfrau railway.
>>
>>1070515
I can't judge for the other countries but your France list is pretty cool, I approve. Bonus point for the less known gem that is Dordogne
>>
>>1070595
Thanks oddly enough I saw it in a brochure for a vacation plan for my mom's alumni group. Sadly we couldn't afford the trip but I've been wanting to see it ever since.
>>1070594
added
>>
File: albi-cite-episcopale3.jpg (219 KB, 1280x650) Image search: [Google]
albi-cite-episcopale3.jpg
219 KB, 1280x650
>>1070598
About France I can suggest you add Albi to the cities. It's a rather small city (50 000 people) but it has a stunning cathedral in a style typical from southern France (meridional gothic) and tons of medieval streets and historical buildings
Now there are quite a lot of cities like that in France this one's close to Carcassonne so if you make it there it's worth driving another hour to see it. One day is enough to visit it. Pic related
About Dordogne since you like medieval things you'll be pleased. The department has more than 1500 castles, dozens of small medieval villages, also beautiful caves (with natural beauties or prehistorical paintings) and excellent food. I know I was there this Christmas
>>
File: IMG_20151224_162017.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151224_162017.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
>>1070598
>>1070606

Pic related I took in Dordogne. Where are you from btw ?
>>
>>1070594
>>1070598

If you are making it to Switzerland you have to pay a visit to Lausanne and the surrounding vineyards. It is one of the best place in the country for me
>>
>>1070515
For France, add Nice, Cannes, and Monaco (not France but right next door). Halfway between Nice and Monaco is a very beautiful town called Eze sur Mer.
>>
File: Calanques 2.jpg (3 MB, 2884x1915) Image search: [Google]
Calanques 2.jpg
3 MB, 2884x1915
>>1070598
Also not him >>1070609 OP, but if you go in Provence like he talked about the national park of the Calanques is 110% worth it
>>
Where is the rest of your itinerary?
>>
>>1070515

Britbong here.

I live in Cambridge and I would highly recommend it - it does get full of tourists though so the best time is the 'off' season, because not only is there not many tourists, but all the student wankers go home.

I am from Newcastle though. If you want to see a good example of a northern English city then that is a good bet. It is on the same line from London - Edinburgh anyway, and the city centre is very condensed right around the train station.
>>
>>1070515
I've been to a lot of these places; it is a pretty good list. I'll recommend Istanbul and Jerusalem. But really, you need some New World on there, like Teotihuacan and Machu Picchu. Or if you really like hiking take one of the ridge line trails across the continents. Appalachian trail is probably the best known.
>>
>>1070639
>living in Newcastle-upon-Tyne

I'm glad that most of my family had the sense to emigrate from there to Newcastle, Australia. They're both shitholes, but at least here we have beaches and nice weather.
>>
>>1070515
Since you seem to like nature and hiking and architecture , but don't like beaches, I am surprised you have nowhere in Isan for Thailand, but you have Koh Samui. Even Koh Chang would be a better alternative, nature wise, for Koh Samui
>>
>>1070607
I'm from new orleans...do you post on /int/? I feel like I might've seen that pic before
>>
>>1070758
Yea if you can see on the very bottom of my pic in the OP, it says "the americas" with stuff like the Appalachian trail and all the cool peruvian stuff like maccu piccu, cuzco, and the like.
>>1070826
By "beaches" I mean more specifically stereotypical "island resort" beaches like in the caribbean or hawaii
>>
File: lindisfarne.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
lindisfarne.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>1070764

>at least we have beaches

Mate, the Northumbrian coastline is some of the most picturesque beaches I've seen.

Fair enough you can rarely lay around soaking in the sun, but you don't go there for that intention.

Pic related, used to go there to camp when I was a kid.
>>
>>1070838
Yeah I do and I've posted that pic once or twice since christmas in the "post pic you took" thread
>>
>>1070843
Why dont you post that part?
>>
>>1070843
The Southern Thailand beaches exist purely as resort/party destinations.
>>
Why would anyone make a lifetime itinerary? Due to things out of my control I had to change or cancel my travel plans 3 times in the last 5 years. And it's looking like I will have to completely change my plans this year as well due to the shitty economy hitting me extra hard.

I wouldn't plan for longer than 1 year ahead maybe 2 at most...
>>
File: Untitled.png (7 KB, 286x333) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
7 KB, 286x333
>>1071023
Here you go. The green is things I've already been to
>>1071051
Ah yes I copied most of the indochinese spots from a video I saw of someone who went there. I just copied all the places they went just so I wouldn't forget. I'll weed out the stuff I don't like when I'm actually prepared to make a trip there
>>1071053
This is mainly just to stockpile cool places I want to go to so I don't forget about them. I don't plan on going to many of these places for another couple years or so
>>
>>1071053
>What is a bucket list
>>
You should add Poland to the list putting Krakow in there.

Also, to really increase your list you should buy "1000 places to see before you die"
>>
>>1071100
Bucket lists are meaningless because your priorities in life change. 10 years ago I wanted to visit every theme park I could, now I will only go to one if I'm in the area and have nothing better to do. 5 years ago I wanted to travel around Europe to drink beer in different countries. Now I mostly drink rum after I traveled to the tropics for the first time in my life. 2 years ago the goal was to start preparing for a motorcycle journey from Alaska to Patagonia, now with the Canadian dollar tanking I'm giving up on this dream for the next few years at least and at that point will likely no longer go through with it.

I slightly regret not doing those trips I planned but I also got a chance to go to other places that have changed my view on many things.

>>1071095
If you're just stockpiling places I suggest putting markers on google earth. That way you can plan trips around specific markers.
>>
>>1071126
>the beer years
Oh I remember those, some good times.
>>
>>1071145
I still like my beer but am no longer crazy about it. I have a few favourite beers these days that I usually don't sway from. I'd rather sit in a dumpy bar next to some palm trees in Cuba or Costa Rica drinking a mojito or cuba libre.
>>
>>1071126
You do understand that one could very well change their bucket list, as you seem to have done?
>>
>>1071145
Fucking normies.
>>
>only two latin american countries
>absolutely no africa
>no muslim country
>>
>>1071275
this bucket list provided to you by /pol/.
>>
>>1071275
>>1071308
Everyone has his/her own interests. Who cares?
>>
>>1071312
>>architecture (especially old churches/medieval towns)
>>mountains
>>hiking
Yes, and OP has these interests. Good thing the Mohammedans don't have any interesting architecture. And they moved Aconcagua to Chile and Everest over to Nepal.
>>
File: Basteibrücke.jpg (2 MB, 2220x1480) Image search: [Google]
Basteibrücke.jpg
2 MB, 2220x1480
>>1070515

>Italy
Go to southern Italy as well, it's like a different country.
Most interesting places:
- Matera (cave dwellings)
- Alberobello (trulli houses)
- Gulf of Naples, you might like hiking Mount Vesuvius and having a look at Pompeii
- taking a ferry to Stromboli (possible from Naples) to climb one of the most active volcanoes in the world. A very special place.
- Amalfi Coast, visiting Positano and Amalfi
For northern Italy:
- definitely Cinque Terre
- Pisa since it's very close to Lucca anyway
Traveled the country for almost 6 months, so feel free to ask stuff.

>Slovenia
So much on your list but not the Škocjan Caves? There's a subterranean canyon.

>Germany
- Nördlingen, a small, circular mediaval city with completey intact city wall.
Since you're going to Dresden anyway (hope you have fun in my city), you might want to check out nearby Saxon Switzerland for hiking. Pic related.

Also, don't forget hiking up to some glacier in actual Switzerland or Austria.

For Copenhagen I just want to point out that Christiana exists. Haven't been there myself though.

That's all I guess. Your list helped me add some places to my own, so thanks for that.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-18-13-41-48.png (1 MB, 1600x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-18-13-41-48.png
1 MB, 1600x2560
>>1070843
Still, the omission of Isan for this type of thing and based on your interests is glaring.
>Pic related
Buddha agrees
>>
>>1071326
>Italy

How easy is hitchhiking, in your experience? I know Italians from all over, but taking one train from Naples to Rome was enough to dissuade me from ever doing that again.
>>
>>1071349
Well, I mostly just cycled. But a French traveler who had no problems hitching in France and Germany told me he had to give up in northern Italy and took a train.
I think in the South it might be easier, since people are more helpful and social in general. When I had a flat tire and no repair kit anymore, the first guy I talked to got his transporter and drove me to a friend who was able to fix it for me. So I guess others will let you in their car as well.
>>
>>1071333
Buddha doesn't lie and neither do those digits.
Added.
>>
>>1071191
So what's the point of having one for an entire lifetime?
>>
>>1071312
I just find it odd that someone as devoted to travelling as OP seems to be, doesn't even want to experience subsaharan africa or an islamic country.
>>
>>1071443
I'm not really that devoted seeing as I've never been to any of these places before. I would add an Islamic or an African country perhaps if you would recommend one but I don't really know much about those places. I might look into Morocco maybe but idk where to go. As far as Muslim countries, I'm open to central Asian countries and the Caucasus countries but the Arabian peninsula is a no-go for me. Morocco also seems appealing. If you could tell me cool places to visit in those areas I'd add them to my list
>>
>>1071453
I've been to both Morocco and Iran. Don't go to Morocco. Iran is amazing. I really recommend Iran. You're not american, are you?

Another recommendation i can give is Armenia, including Nagorno Karabakh.
>>
File: map_central_asia.jpg (290 KB, 1324x1044) Image search: [Google]
map_central_asia.jpg
290 KB, 1324x1044
>>1071462
I am American I said somewhere in this thread I'm from New Orleans. /trv/ really needs flags. I'll look into Armenia. Is there anything interesting in the countries in pic related because I don't know anything about them and want to learn.
>>
>>1071470
In Uzbekistan, Samarkand is BREATHTAKING, Bukhara and Khiva are also interesting and historic and characterful.

Some of the other Stans have beautiful landscapes, mountains, lakes, but historic cities not so much
>>
>>1071380
Also, not much to see in Laos outside of Vientiane. Isan is actually the better part of Laos that was just taken over by Thailand, and they are culturally much the same. Vientiane, the capital, is smaller than the closest Thai city, Udon Thani,,and it's Laos biggest city. Not saying don't go there, it's worth a visit, but some of that time there could be transferred to the Isan region.
>>
unrelated, do you guys think $30k is enough to travel around the world via motorcycle?
>>
>>1071470
Ha, I am also an American from New Orleans. And I'd really like to go to Iran. Hopefully relations will normalize enough for that to be reasonable... thanks Obama?
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.