[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for cities with a specific type of climate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 1080x608) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 1080x608
All right so I'm looking for cities with a very specific type of climate, and I'm looking with the intent of actually settling down and living there so keep that in mind.

Anyways, the climate I'm looking for is a climate where summers rarely go above 30C (86F) and winters rarely below 20C (68F), although some slight deviation from this would be acceptable. Ideally it should be coastal/by the sea, including islands. Lastly, it should be as dry as possible. The closer to 0mm precipitation per year the better, and the highest I will settle for is 150mm / year.

So in other words, some type of moderately warm coastal dry desert climate with relatively little yearly variation in temperature is what I'm looking for. The Canary Islands fit the bill almost perfectly in terms of temperature, and Antofagasta (Chile) is very much ideal in terms of precipitation, however I don't speak a fucking lick of spanish (Norwegianfag here) but I would be willing to learn it. If it's in the middle east / anywhere muslim don't bother, but beyond that I'm open to pretty much anything (again, I'll be wanting to settle down there, not get beheaded).

If anyone would bother to suggest some cities I would greatly appreciate it.
>>
>>1064372
Here's a pic containing climate data for Antofagasta, Chile. Close to ideal in terms of what I'm looking for although winters could be a bit warmer. Also, not trying to offend anyone, but I've heard Antofagasta is a somewhat gritty-looking city.
>>
>>1064372
Southern California. San Diego, L.A. I think even San Francisco qualifies
>>
>>1064374
I've thought about SoCal and the english-speaking bit is very tempting, in addition to temperature being close to perfect, but I feel like there would be just a little bit too much precipitation for me to accept with LA being at 300-400mm / year, SF at a whopping 600mm / year and San Diego at a more acceptable 250mm / year.

Let me put my situation into context: I grew up on the norwegian west coast, where there's about 3000 - 4000 mm of rain / year, in addition to horrible temperatures at around 0 - 15C year round. I hate the rain so god damn much it literally gives me severe depression and anxiety. The less the better.

That being said, I'm not completely against the idea of San Diego. Do you have any other, drier suggestions? If not, thanks for your reply anyways, really appreciate it.
>>
>>1064374
sd was my first thought, too

>San Diego has on average 146 sunny days and 117 partly cloudy days a year. The average annual precipitation is less than 12 inches (300 mm), resulting in a borderline arid climate. Rainfall is strongly concentrated in the cooler half of the year, particularly the months December through March, although precipitation is lower than any other part of the U.S. west coast. The summer months are virtually rainless
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_San_Diego
>>
>>1064378
There's even an old R&B song that references the stereotype/saying named "It never rains in Southern California"
>>
>>1064375
You might as well move to China. It's equally overcrowded and polluted here.
I'm exaggerating, but the rent is expensive as fuck here also.
Norcal is pretty nice. It rains but it's much less overcrowded, cleaner, cheaper, etc.
>>
>>1064372
Brisbane, Australia
>>
>>1064399
>1000mm rain / year
>desert climate

ok
>>
>>1064399
>>1064405
I don't disagree completely though. Sydney/Melbourne would get a little too cold for op in the winter so brizzy is a decent midpoint in Australia.

Op, I know you said 150mm but deserts don't have much going on in them for a reason
>>
>>1064372

why do you want a desert?

you're expecting a tropical climate with little temperature variation and and you think you can get away with no rain even though the lack of temperature variation is caused by high humidity and constant rain
>>
dutchie here looking for very similar conditions and ive always arrived at either LA/SD, or spain but yeah I dont speak spanish either so LA/SD seems awesome.

Obviously all of those options get hotter than 30C during summer though, but LA seems milder still than most of spain

I think our norwegian friend underestimates how drastically less rain there is spread over the year compared to our countries where rain and overcast is the default

I'm probably going ibiza/mallorca because canary islands get a bit too warm during summer for me, and then move on to LA because SD seems too dry and hot for me. Can always move in between them and try different places.

To fit his conditions perfectly you would have to move between those places depending on season anyway.
>>
File: TAOS.jpg (53 KB, 450x302) Image search: [Google]
TAOS.jpg
53 KB, 450x302
For those that love sunshine, the high desert of the southwest cant be beat.
It does get wintery but it is so much different having bright sunshine. Even when there is snow on the ground, if you stand in the sun you will warm up.
Sunny skiing is also amazing.

In the summer it rains only briefly but very hard then its back to sunshine.
Never that dreary gray soggy bullshit.
>>
>>1064804
Any city in particular that you recommend?
>>
>>1064840
Taos , Santa Fe, Salida , Sedona, Big Sur, San Luis Obispo , Marfa , Silver City
>>
>>1064374
>I think even San Francisco qualifies
SF here. We're much too cold and theoretically too wet, although with the drought the rain has been minimal for several years (this year being an exception thanks to the anomalous El NiƱo phenomenon). We still have a lot of clammy fog to contend with though.
>>
>>1064934
What do you call cold?
>>
I know where you guys are coming from however I can tell you places that don't receive any rain at all are not places you want to be in. For those who have traveled to cities which haven't experienced rain in a very long time you know what I'm talking about.

The smell.

Basically in a lot of developing countries there are certain smells that need to be washed off. If you don't have rains for a very long time those smells will linger around. It's not pleasant, the locals hate it, they wash their houses and the streets but it won't get the smell off until there's a significant downpour.

There are many other aspects why rain is important. Pollution. I live in Vancouver where it rains all the fucking time but in the summers we don't get rain and after 2-3 weeks of clear skies you see a haze. Vegetation. You want to live in a city that has a lot of trees, go to Vegas and you'll quickly realize why. Water source. If you live in an area that doesn't receive rain you will live far from your water source which is usually a river of some kind. Read up on what is happening in Lima, Peru on this matter and almost all the issues I mentioned above.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.