[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on war tourism? Have you encountered armed conflict
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1449364724813.jpg (244 KB, 700x434) Image search: [Google]
1449364724813.jpg
244 KB, 700x434
Thoughts on war tourism?
Have you encountered armed conflict on the road?
Have you participated?
>>
>>1063976

Planning on traveling to kiev, Ukraine.

It's pretty fucked up right now, my main concern is my own safety. I'm from Canada, the closest thing i have seen to war was downtown Vancouver when the Canucks lost in the Stanley cup final
>>
>>1064048
Think less about your safety and more about the ways to profit from the ~45% annual inflation.
>>
>>1064069

My money will go far there, I intend to stay in Ukraine for awhile. How else would I profit???
>>
>>1063976

I ended up in Khmelnitskiy, Ukraine for a week. It's the city with the biggest Ukrainian military base. You can watch them practice, but obviously no cameras. Around Ukraine there are a few military propaganda posters and I found, in Lviv, toilet paper with Putin's face on it.

I also went on the road from the Sadakhlo(Georgia)-Bagratashen (Armenia) to Yerevan. For a few km it goes right on the border with Azerbaijan (Armenia and Azerbaijan are still at war). There is an abandoned village right on the border. Entering Armenia, a few km after the border, an old man and a young child were holding a yellow strip of paper across the road to stop drivers for money.
>>
I went on a family holiday to Afghanistan last October for a book launch. Honestly the best trip of my life. Bamiyam is essentially safe but Kabul was dodgy at times ( a Missile hit a tree in front of our house the week before we arrived) but in my opinion it only made the whole trip more exciting. Best kebabs I've ever had were in Kabul in a place called Safi and although in recent months it's become far too dangerous if definitely love to go again
>>
>>1064087
>How else would I profit?
Probably by bringing a suitcase of imported goods that are life essentials.

Shit, even just tampons are probably pretty expensive. Do some research and find what people are having trouble affording I guess. Then bring in a bunch and undercut the import businesses a bit.
>>
>>1064260

>Directly undermining the recovery of a war-torn economy

Jesus man just stick up somebody with a knife. I'd be morally more justifiable.
>>
>>1064173
I guess what this guy says is quite telling. Some areas in the country are safe while others aren't. In comparison with peaceful countries there are many more no-go areas.

I've never been in a country at war myself (other than Armenia and Georgia but those are frozen wars so doesn't count imo) but I did speak with some Ukrainians last year, their stories were generally that the war was bad but that it didn't affect them direcly if they didn't live in one of the regions where the front-lines were.

I guess keeping in contact with locals where it's safe and where it's not is your best bet since the locals are probably most up-to date.

Also understand that not all locals are to be trusted since they might be involved in a kidnapping plot (an important source of income for many a caliphate/pirate/failed state).

And for participating, I strongly recommend not to participate because you don't know what power struggles are really going on. Information is tightly controlled by the propaganda machines of the warring sides. A nice illustration is the vice episode on volunteer soldiers where extreme left and extreme right wing activists have volunteered to fight with the rebels in Ukraine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epz-eBXHKIQ

Pic related, it's the travel advice of the ministry of foreign affairs of the Netherlands to show that most parts of Ukraine are relatively safe.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.