[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey guys, help me identify the city of my dreams. let's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: gs[1].jpg (70 KB, 1024x482) Image search: [Google]
gs[1].jpg
70 KB, 1024x482
hey guys, help me identify the city of my dreams.
let's start by saying it should be in the western world and northern hemisphere.
the weather: don't care much about the weather in summer, cool or hot doesn't really matter to me, but in winter it should be cold and snowy. by snowy i mean not just occasional snow that melts the day after, i want snow to stick around, at least a solid month of snow on the ground (white Christmas everyone).
it should be in the mountains or at least close to them (1-2 hours away), with a developed public transportation network linking it to them so that activities such as skiing or trekking are easily available
it should also be a relevant city, with a thriving economy, skyscrapers, malls, and vibrant nightlife, not just a mountain town with nothing to do

cities that i found that kinda fit the bill
basel, switzerland although apparently it doesn't really snow much in there and snow doesn't stay for long (anyone from basel can confirm that?) and there aren't really many skyscrapers, although frankfurt is not that far so if i want to see a great skyline i don't have to go far.

calgary, canada although maybe winter is kinda overkill here, snow stays on the ground for 6 months apparently from what i read, and is kinda in the middle of nowhere, the only close city is edmonton, anywhere else is a flight away whereas in switzerland you're kinda in the thick of things and seemingly everything is a few hour train ride away

any other suggestions?

pic related it's basel
>>
Denver, Colorado
>>
Quebec City, Quebec, buuuuuut snow stays there for over 6 months as well. Canada is cold as fuck I tells ya
>>
>>1062404
I'd considered denver but from what i know its wild temperature swings make it so that night snow usually melts the next day, which makes it kind of pointless. still that's a good guess.

>>1062405
wow i didn't know quebec city was so quaint, really beautiful. still that canadian winter tho
>>
>>1062405
Quebec city
Good public transport
Pick one

The rest is pretty accurate. U have moutain close by plus full on winter
>>
What about Sapporo in northern Japan?
https://travelblog.expedia.com.sg/asia/white-christmas-in-hokkaido-japan/
>>
>>1062440
>snow usually melts the next day

Boy how I wish this was true.
Denver gets tons of snow m8 , they clear it off the roads but not my back yard:(
>>
>>1062636
interesting article, but it's not really in the western world

>>1062709
that sounds great, enjoy the snow. I really miss it here
>>
any other city in europe that fits the description?
>>
>>1063764

München checks most boxes and has a couple highrises, but they aren't dominating the skyline.

Europe in general isn't as fond of skyscrapers as the rest of the world is. Mostly to protect the look and feel of the old city centers.

Highrises are usually built in businessparks on the outskirts (Paris) or are subjected to height limitations (London) despite being the financial capital of the world with real estate prices going through the roof.
>>
File: 1.jpg (74 KB, 634x321) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
74 KB, 634x321
maybe prague?
its beautiful in winter, might not be enough skyscrapers though
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.