[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Everest expeditions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (188 KB, 800x449) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
188 KB, 800x449
Anyone ever been to Everest? Interesting in climbing it someday?
>>
>>1060052
I chose Annapurna instead of Base Camp when I was in Napal, heard it's a more attractive hike.

Definitely going to climb it one day though. I've already got 15,000 saved in my 'Everest account' waiting for the day I graduate.
>>
>>1060052
It's on my bucket list, towards the end as do I expect it to kill me.
>>
>>1060064
Doesn't it cost like $100,000 in training, gear, sherpas, transportation and other things involved to climb Everest?
>>
>>1060082
You can do it for $30,000.

You can probably do it for a million too, and I would guess everything in between depending on some things.
>>
>>1060082

What this guy said >>1060085

I didn't mean to sound like I'll be able to do it the day I graduate but I saved this over two years and I've got another two left so with a bit of a loan I might be able too scrape into one of the more budget trips.
>>
>>1060067
same here, will wear flashy red boots so green boots gets a friend
>>
>>1060594
"Fry, if I die, make sure my body freezes in a dignified position; none of that huddled over for warmth crap!" - Leela

Some people actually get paid to climb it for charity. Don't ask me why or how that works. Seems like if a wealthy organization wanted to donate money they could just send a check to the recipient charity, I'm not sure why they have to sponsor some dude to do it. Same thing with the ice bucket challenge, how does getting cold and wet help autists? Why not just give money?
>>
>>1060064

I guess you didn't watch that movie, "Everest". It's literally a documentary on why to not fucking climb gigantic mountains.
>>
>>1060697
>It's literally a documentary on why to not fucking climb gigantic mountains.

I saw it, I also saw the older one Vertical Limit. Some people might say that is a documentary on why to climb giant mountains.

Billions of people in the world, many have different goals, aspirations and philosophies than you, go figure
>>
Went to base camp last year, that was enough for me. Imagine a resting heart rate of 140 for two weeks and lying in bed completely effortless and felling like you don't have enough oxygen. Most humans have not evolved to survive those conditions, it's why most climbers now use/carry oxygen with them. If you really want to go don't leave it until you're older because it is more likely to kill you.
>>
>>1060682
One of the reasons I'm going into med is for this exact reason. A lot of those charity expeditions, especially the ones going up Kilimanjaro need to hire a doctor for the trip. You rarely get paid much but you do get a spot on the expedition for free.

>>1060697
Nah man. I saw it. And this guy gets it >>1060726
>>
That shit doesnt impress me anymore. You got sherpas to carry all your gear and lines of "adventurers" waiting to go up. Played the fuck out.

Take your 30K or more and sail the world.
>>
>>1060730
>tfw already resting heart rate at 100
>>
>>1060085
Most minimum estimates are 50k. Dont know where that guy got 15k. Lol thats laughable.
>>
>>1060909
Nah, man. Its really not hard to find places offering it for 30k these days, you could probably even get slightly lower if you really fucking worked for it. These are definitely much more basic than the fulll-service expeditions, very limited O2, carrying your own gear etc.
>>
>>1060861
Actually it's 62 atm.
Resting hr of 140 is a compensatory mechanism because my SpO2 was 83% due to the reduced oxygen at altitude (before you talk shit about spo2 that is normally 98%)
>>
>>1060052
Try Ama Dablam or Cho Oyu. Or Annapurna or Kanchenjunga is you're looking for a real challenge and want to go out in style.

>>1060082
That kind of expense is for rich douchebags who want Sherpas to practically carry them to the top.
>>
File: 103166035.0.jpg (633 KB, 3016x2124) Image search: [Google]
103166035.0.jpg
633 KB, 3016x2124
there was a point in my life when i though i wanted to. now i'm happy on 13k peaks that i get to enjoy with just my partner.

>https://s3.amazonaws.com/Gigapixel_Trees/Pumori_Spring2012_EBC_Full/EBC_Pumori_050112_8bit_FLAT.html
>>
>>1060052
It's not even hard... How much stuff do you need? You just walk up a mountain in a jacket for a while... Ohhh no the air is too thin... BREATE MOAR
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.