[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Teaching english abroad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: esl_logo-1024x761.jpg (113 KB, 1024x761) Image search: [Google]
esl_logo-1024x761.jpg
113 KB, 1024x761
Hey, I wanted to know what that is like? I'm 19 and going trough a marketing dec in canada. When I hit university I would be able to get a degree in esl. Was wondering how was that like? Teaching abroad? You have time to go places and all? Anybody has experience with that? I'm still young and thought that would be a wonderfull thing to do in my 20s...
>>
Bumbooty bump
>>
desperate bump
>>
I'm also interested in working abroad and teaching english was a thing that sprang to my mind. I don't speak english as my native language so is there any chances to get to teach english? And if so, which countrys are most likeable places to get a job from?
>>
>>1059979
It's shit if you get a shit gig and the market is flooded by autism.
>>
>>1060098
not OP. But I did go to a primary school in the Mekong as part of a school trip to Vietnam. Was awesome cause the kids already spoke very basic English and just absorbed everything I said. Was wondering if it would be possible for myself who has no teaching experience to teach English in SE Asia for a month or two?
>>
>>1060097
I know the pay ain't shit but it's really something i thought would be nice to do while i'm young and wanna travel and discover the world. And i'm Canadian from lebanese decent
>>
>>1059982
>>1059985
>>1060015
Stop bumping it so frequent, king of gays. This is a slow board. One bump a day would do
>>
>>1060132
Nah I used saint
>>
>>1060097
You're speaking of teaching English specifically in third world. It can be quite good in Korea, Japan, and the Middle East, especially. Even in Thailand average starting pay is 30K Baht, 40K in Bangkok, with many places paying more or pay increasin over time. Granted the starting pay is not a lot if you plan on returning to the West, but enough to support a family in Thailand. And pay and job opportunities increase over time. Most people do it for a few years and be out.

Middle East is the best place for pay and travel, though. Best countries to teach, as far as Western lifestyle, are Qatar, UAE, and Bahrain.
>>
>>1060129
I know black ESL teachers in UAE, Thailand, and Japan. Not to say it's not easier if you're white, but how is that any different than a black person applying for most jobs/opportunities in the USA. It not being a first language is a greater barrier.
>>
Do your research. Find a good school.

I spent months scouring Daves ESL cafe look for a job that had everything I was looking for. My patience paid off and I found a great hagwon in Korea. My boss has lived abroad and is very understanding of different cultures.

Some of my friends here just picked the first job offered to them and they have a shit boss with shit split shifts work hours with shit pay.

Your job makes or break your whole experience in my opinion. It's important.

My time in Korea has been amazing and I have no regrets. But if you don't take your time with this shit you're gonna have a shitty time.
>>
>>1060190
Hey, do you know the qualifications of the guy in the UAE, like does he have a master's or state cert? I'm looking into teaching the middle east. I have experience in ESL.
>>
>>1060210
A black female actually. I know she was a stateside teacher. I think she was recruited. I don't know her credentials. I recently sat next to an old white lady from South Africa, but of Irish blood, who had taught in Qatar. She said havin an ESL certification was the most important thing to have to be hired no matter what subject you taught. Even PE. That's another thing, the Middle East hired teachers for all subjects, not just ESL. My impression is degree plus ESL, from the people I know.
>>
>>1060101
>teach English in SE Asia for a month or two?
Well you wouldn't really be able to do this and get paid. Most contracts run for a year, you might be able to find a place for 6 months. I guess you could just be an asshole and quit your job half way through the term but that will make it look bad for other teachers, still happens a lot.

A lot of volunteer programs offer teaching gigs however and they might be able to accommodate someone with a shorter time frame available.

>>1060189
Teaching in the middle east just sounds so shit to me. Those places don't appear to be fun at all and the whole concept of teaching English abroad is to make it an enjoyable experience for a while before going back home. Just seems like a waste of time to go there.
>>
>>1060250
What makes it sound shit. The old lady who lived in Qatar regaled me with her stories of beach parties and camping out on the Islands, said the students were better than the USA, and generally having a grear experience. Same with the one who was in UAE. I lived in Bahrain, knew a Lebanese teacher (christian) who loved it there. You only hear horror stories, as far as lifestyle, in SaudI Arabia, and to a lesser extent Kuwait
>>
>>1060257
And, DESU, in Bahrain, Qatar, and UAE the Asians outnumber the locals.
>>
>>1060258
>DESU

They fucking got me
>>
>>1060189
I'm a senior in uni graduating in May. Do you have any sort of recommendations for shit I could start doing now if I want to teach in South Korea after I graduate (I'm working on background checks/TEFL cert/etc.)
>>
>>1060258
Just to make sure, you mean South Asians?

(My default for Asians is East Asians, and, strictly speaking, the locals in the Persian Gulf countries are West Asians.)
>>
File: 20151210_012501.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151210_012501.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>1060326
I mean, Asians, of which South Asians are included, but they are mostly male. The females mostly consists of SEAs and Chinese. There male counterparts are there, but they are far outstripped by the women.This was a birthday party I was at. The group out consisted of 11 females (birthday girl and her friends), 3 Bahraini guys, myself (all boyfriends of certain girls in the party) The band on stage was Filipino. At one point, I had 2.5 girlfriends, plus a lot random fucks on top of that. I only reduced down to one because that shit was exhausting.
>>
File: 20151211_163214.jpg (5 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151211_163214.jpg
5 MB, 5312x2988
Went to the fish market with these ones.
>>
File: 20151212_145706.jpg (5 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151212_145706.jpg
5 MB, 5312x2988
>>1060342
resulted in them cooking this for me. And they actually shelled them for me and everything
>>
File: 20151212_155205.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151212_155205.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>1060343
>>
I taught at a total of 6 schools over 4 years in Seoul, Taipei, Beijing. It was one hell of a ride. Totally worth it but a few caveats.

You have to like to travel. Location is very important (famous city vs bumfuck nowhere). Also important is you get a good salary and a decent job and don't let yourself get shafted.
>>
Not OP, but what is the easiest place in Southern or Eastern Asia to get a teaching job? Like Vietnam or Thailand etc? Also, I don't have a bachelors degree but if I got a good quality forgery, how likely is it that schools would fact check that shit? Seems like most teaching jobs want a bachelors from my research. Or any countries where they aren't too picky about that?
>>
Ajarn.Com a great Thailand resource
>>
>be me
>>
File: 23e23e.jpg (39 KB, 601x397) Image search: [Google]
23e23e.jpg
39 KB, 601x397
>tfw 28 years old and teaching English

oh well.. at least I had free sex with a 19 year old
>>
>>1060541
......what's wrong with being 28 years old and teaching English? That seems like a perfectly reasonable age to me.

My best teacher was 50.
>>
>>1060541
>>1060550
I think it's the fact that so many ESL teachers don't view teaching as a career. Just a way to get paid to live abroad. Straight men in particular seem to feel this way
>>
>>1060541
Op here, what's wrong with that??
>>
>>1060341
M8, that dude looks mighty rapey.
In fact most Middle Easterners except Iran and Turkey look rapey.
Why? Are they all de-pressurising?
>>
>>1060659
It's just a dead end career with no room for advancement. If it's your passion that's no problem but don't think you can comfortably support a family doing it.
>>
File: I-Fine-Thank-You-Love-You.jpg (155 KB, 820x1172) Image search: [Google]
I-Fine-Thank-You-Love-You.jpg
155 KB, 820x1172
>>1060731
Not true at all. It's just many get into it with no eye on advancement, unless you look at teaching in general as a dead end career. But I have seen people go from ESL, to international school, to (if they have their masters) teaching at universities or opening or becoming administrators at other schools. I think it's more an issue, as previously stated, that many do ESL not because they want to teach, but just as a means to an end. A way to get paid to live abroad. And it doesn't do much to enhance their actual career choice/interest.

She's Thai, but the protagonist if a recent highly successful Thai movie was an English tutor ("I Fine, Thank You, Love You" great movie.)
>>
>>1060731
Yeah, if you are teaching at a language mill you shouldn't expect advancement. Its a fucking language mill, you dolt.

I went from teaching in China for pennies to the Emirates for more than most of my friends are making in the States. And I only work sixteen hours a week. ESL is the easiest career to advance in because there are third world countries which will hire under-qualified teachers, which in turn qualifies them to teach in developed nations.
>>
>>1060766
No need for insults buddy. I'll admit I made a blanket statement. If you have passion for teaching along with higher education there is the university opportunities. Though I was under the impression they were highly competitive and its not a safe bet to land those cushy positions.
>>1060752
I wasn't aware of administration possibilities that can come out of overseas ESL teaching. That seems interesting. Can you talk more about it?
>>
>>1060813
ESL teaching is just like teaching in your home country. You can work your way into other human resources or operations like assistant principals, curriculum builders, finance, counselors, recruiters, or whatever. This is mainlying for international schools/schools that a western based curriculum. But these are the schools that should be the long term goal of anyone who wants a career teaching abroad.

I met a lady who taught in Qatar who one of the parents loved her so much that she wanted to open her own school for her.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.