[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/backpack/ general? I'm traveling around south america in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
/backpack/ general? I'm traveling around south america in february and I need a bigger pack. Hoping for around $150
>>
>>1059562

No I'll be staying at hostels mostly. I'd just like to be able to keep like 7-10 days worth of clothes and everything else I need on me in one convenient bag.
>>
Off topic but if Backpacking another country a good way to lose some weight?
>>
>>1059563
After a while you're going to get tired of carrying more stuff than you'll really need to use. If you're staying in hostels just go full hippy and bring half to a quarter of that and wash it in the sink.
>>
>>1059586
That's wilderness backpacking.

>>1059567
I usually drop a few pounds in a month of travel. The reason is I like to walk around the cities I visit. I sometimes spend 7+ hours on my feet per day as when I'm back home it's probably more like 2-3 hours at most. If I actually ate healthy when traveling I would probably drop around 7-10 lbs in the initial month. I'm about 15lbs overweight.
>>
File: Kelty-Redwing-50-5[1].jpg (497 KB, 1536x1024) Image search: [Google]
Kelty-Redwing-50-5[1].jpg
497 KB, 1536x1024
Kelty Redwing 50L.
Well made, good design and opens all the way to make accessing stuff easier, much more convenient than typical top-only hiking style bags.

I used it for a few months in mexico, even packing a bunch of shit I didnt need, it had more than plenty of room.

Unless you're going to be gone for >6months, you absolutely dont need more than a 50L pack.

And it can be found online for ~$80. At least thats how much I got mine for.
>>
>>1059675
This seems like a good option. Do you think the 44L version would be better if I also carry a daybag with me that has all my electronics?

I usually travel with a lot of camera gear so maybe the 50L version is the better choice anyways.
>>
>>1059563
honestly if you're just gonna stay in hostels, I wouldn't even spend 150$. I got a 20$ 50L Backpack and it lasted me on two hostel trips through Japan
>>
>>1059770

Yeah I think I'm going with the kelty redwing as suggested above. found a good deal on amazon prime
>>
I wouldn't get anything much larger than 50L. I got this Osprey pack and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GBYWFY/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003GBYWFY&linkCode=as2&tag=0241-20&linkId=O2VJCWGL3QHU2375
>>
>>1059888
>I wouldn't get anything much larger than 50L
>links to a 55L backpack
>love it
>>
REI packs are expensive, but their warranties and return policies are goat. If you really want 7-10 of clothes, you're going to need more than a 50L.

>bought the XT 85L for a long trip through Australia and NZ
>second week of trip notice there's a small hole causing the frame to slip out of place
>annoying but not a big deal, even on the NZ Great Walks
>bring it into REI a year and a half later when I return home
>full refund
>>
I have a 50 + 10 Deuter backpack. I got it for like 170 I think and it is awesome. Good quality
>>
>>1059559
>I have that pack
Cool.
>>
>>1060034
You fucking fag that's why shit's expensive.
>>
>>1060103
But they're really not, especially the REI ones. The expensive ones are "name brands" like Deuter.
>>
Whats the best bag if I plan to only use it and for carry on luggage?
>>
>>1059888
I have the very 40 L version won't use it till Feb. From my initial inspection though it has a lot of space if you utilize packing squares and it fits on most budget airlines, like notorious Ryan air. I'm planning on only have 2 pairs of cloths for a 1 month long trip though
>>
>>1059559
>osprey
/thread
>>
>>1060102
Most worthless newfag comment
>>
Osprey Farpoint 40L
>>
File: MEC-1.jpg (35 KB, 595x246) Image search: [Google]
MEC-1.jpg
35 KB, 595x246
I have an MEC Supercontinent 45. Years cumulative hard 3rd world traveling. Absolutely nothing broken.

Can lock it shut. Can stow the straps for checked luggage and for throwing in storage on a vehicle. Can lock it closed. Can expand and shrink down as needed.

Fantastic travel pack.
>>
>>1060774
>Whats the best bag if I plan to only use it and for carry on luggage?
You might like this:
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101

Rick Steves sells a bag that is basically the same as that and he uses it as his only bag to carry around all his stuff for months at a time while traveling around Europe.
>>
File: Backpack.jpg (31 KB, 464x500) Image search: [Google]
Backpack.jpg
31 KB, 464x500
Where can I find this?
>>
>>1061506
Learning how to use reverse image search would be a great start.
>>
>>1059675
>>1059712

Would the Kelty Redwing shown here work well for hiking, too? This is probably a stupid question, but I'm wondering if for going on very long hikes, you should make sure it's a "hiking bag" and not a "back pack."

Also, any recommendations on a good daybag?
>>
>>1061510
But I did
>>
>>1061332
I want this backpack but they don't sell them any more. The new Supercontinent are fucking 65L...
>>
File: 1395690074261.jpg (103 KB, 420x240) Image search: [Google]
1395690074261.jpg
103 KB, 420x240
>>1061494
Any experience with Rick Steves' bag? It's on sale right now and he just put out a video showing it off.
>>
>>1061563
His bag is basically the same as what ebags offers. The idea behind them is their dimensions are the largest allowed to still qualify as a carry on.

I would just get whichever is cheaper. Recently I got the ebags version and it's really great, but it's cool to support Rick as well.
>>
>>1061543
Ongoing plebification of MEC.

Shame they aren't still doing a smaller (correct) sized one, since the little clip-on day bag would be useful, as would the integrated rain cover (although I wonder how well that'd work).

I found the 45 just big enough, zipped out, for cold weather traveling. And you can zip it in to a smaller size when you don't need the space (e.g. traveling in hot weather).
>>
>>1061576
...although if you're the type to pack nice 'going out' clothes the 65 might suit you.
>>
>>1061576
>>1061578
MEC has turned to shit. I stopped shopping there 5 years ago.
>>
>>1061570
This. Also his bag is all about on-your-back status because of his little tours around europe in places where their tour operators would be dealing with people who would require door to door service which they aren't providing due to stairs and different kinds of streets like cinque terre or such. It discourages over-packng types.
That said, if your plans are fine for a wheeled bag, get the weight off your feet, neck and back and use ordinary luggage. If you want amazing organization you pay a touch more for pockets or pouches. If you need organizing yourself, read Steve's packing list for men (or women).
Right now, my favorite bags depend on the trip in question of course, whether it's my Hartmann suitbag, or travelpro overhead crew, or checked desley
>>
I need a backpack that's good to hold a 17" laptop and a few days worth of clothes. 2 pairs of jeans and 5 shirts. Functional for short backpacking trips yet stylish enough to wear around town, school, etc. Under $100 if possible, but no more than $150. Any suggestions?
>>
>>1061543
Main bag is 57L, so not as bad as it sounds (the 65 includes the included daybag).
>>
File: 1450752795037.jpg (63 KB, 378x414) Image search: [Google]
1450752795037.jpg
63 KB, 378x414
I love and enjoy collecting backpacks, carrier bags and the like. It's also fun hunting for specific backpacks/bags that I like down over at my local thrift store.
>>
>>1061523
Anybody?
>>
What the hell is wrong with you people? 50+ L? try like a 20L bag for just a week or so. Just wear your clothes multiple times. It's not like you have anyone to impress anyway
>>
Osprey's real popular at the moment where I've been. Pricey but well made, I've got the 60L, over packed it and it still takes it like a champ. But yeah, I've been in dorms and it's been Osprey's all around!
>>
Anyone have comments about the Osprey Farpoint 55 or something as nice but cheaper?

I am going to be living near the Tetons next summer, and I want something good for a week long backpacking trip.
>>
http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/collections/travel-backpacks/products/tortuga-air-carry-on-backpack

This is a little bit pricey but it's done right by me over six one month excursions to SEA, one to Australia, one to Iceland, and two to Japan.

It's comfortable, durable, and you can easily fit anything you need for a month abroad, and then some.

I honestly think investing in a solid pack is one of the best things you can do, anon.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.