[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you recommend British Columbia as a place to visit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: mbritishcolumbia.gif (50 KB, 508x528) Image search: [Google]
mbritishcolumbia.gif
50 KB, 508x528
How would you recommend British Columbia as a place to visit?

I'm from Scotland, where they cut down all the native forests centuries ago, so the number of trees there seems attractive to me.
>>
>>1055724
Bumping for the sake of knowledge.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
Afternoon op. I'm from England and have been to bc once and plan to travel back next May however I'll be heading north to Alaska "anchorage and Fairbanks" I found the scenery around bc very plentiful however staying in the busy cities of bc are bloody expensive. Stay away from Vancouver not much to see there. Are you interested in snow sports ? If so bc is great place for said activities. If you are just looking for long walks/backpacking on tails them just hit up national parks they have so many in bc and have trails that you can follow via map and marked posts along the route
>>
>>1055724
It's a great natural setting, but there isn't much for cultural attractions.

People tend to like the mountains and ocean more than the trees.

If you got the money, fly to Edmonton and then take the train through the Rockies to Vancouver.

Other than the south western part around the coast, and the area between Kelowna and Kamloops, there's hardly anything. Some of those places on the map have 1000 people.
>>
>>1055724
How long are you planning on staying here?

A rough guide would be to do something like this:
Victoria > Vancouver > Whistler > Osoyoos or Kelowna > head over to Jasper or Banff.

There are forest pretty much everywhere throughout the province, are you looking at doing some longer hiking/camping trips while here?

If you have a lot of money then going to Haida Gwaii would be well worth it.
>>
>>1055796
This brings up an interesting question. Why is that Canada, the second largest country on Earth, has a smaller population than the UK?
>>
>>1055755
Not a fan of Vancouver?
>>
File: climate.jpg (22 KB, 225x277) Image search: [Google]
climate.jpg
22 KB, 225x277
>>1055864
People don't like living in a subarctic climate.
People would rather immigrate to America than Canada.
Canada mostly only ever needed enough people to properly exploit it's resources. Some provinces have had a consistent population for 100 years.
>>
File: 340.jpg (21 KB, 340x225) Image search: [Google]
340.jpg
21 KB, 340x225
Hoenn
>>
File: Beautiful-Lake-with-Mountains.jpg (807 KB, 1909x1080) Image search: [Google]
Beautiful-Lake-with-Mountains.jpg
807 KB, 1909x1080
Vancouver is a great city with great nightlife, people and attractions. I only visit occasionally so I can't say much, but if theres something you're into, it'll be there.

If you are indeed going to Van check out Horseshoe Bay past North Van, the fish n' chips in some of the pubs are to die for and fresh caught.

The Okanagan valley is great if you're into hiking and wine tasting, but the cities are pretty shit. Its really beautiful out there. Get a logging road map with lakes on it because the camping is extrodinary and you are so far from civilization its a treat.

Don't go past 100 mile house because theres honestly there really is nothing to see there besides scenery and forest, it really is the most beautiful place on earth. I'm proud to live here.
>>
>>1055724
How's Scotland?
>>
>>1055968
I like Scotland, the highlands have beautiful scenery. Sadly though I live in a city called Aberdeen where everything is made of grey granite, this combined with the fact that the sky is often overcast is enough to convince some that they've gone colour-blind. Oh, and yeah I wish there were more trees.
>>
>>1055920
Southern BC has an oceanic climate, like the UK, yet it's still largely empty.
>>
>>1055962
I do like scenery, and forest though.
>>
Also, I'm curious, how much risk is there of being attacked by wolves/bears/mountain lions while out walking? The most dangerous animals in Scotland are wandering sheep.
>>
File: Soil.jpg (49 KB, 539x411) Image search: [Google]
Soil.jpg
49 KB, 539x411
>>1055974
You're ok if you're just out walking. The problems happen when you have food and are camping, especially late summer and early fall.

Wolves and mountain lions, none. Mountain lions don't attack adult humans, they only do when they're really hungry and easy to fight off. They mostly attack children. Unless your Warwick Davis you're fine. A loan wolf will steal your food, I've known people who've had wolves chew into their tents. You really need to go remote for a wolf pack that would attack you. Like float plane remote.

Bears really vary by place and season. Before they hibernate they go crazy for food, most bear attacks happen in September-October. But there's only like 10 of them. It's more likely they'll steal your food. Read this:
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/docs/v-g/oursnoir-blackbear/page6.aspx
Bear encounters are really common, but they rarely attack. A lot of rural people cant tell you how many bear encounters they've had it's so many. Bears are quite accommodating. Usually the bear smells you before you see it, and it goes for cover. Their sense of smell is amazing, up to 500* a humans. With wind they can smell you from over one km away.

>>1055972
And other than the Fraser Valley it's podzolic soil and mountains. All of the conifer trees really fuck the soil up, the trees kind of poison the ground so other trees can't grow there. This thin layer of soil is mostly spread over mountains. And white people have only had easy access for 150 years.
>>
>>1056007
Do you think Canada population will remain about the same over the next century, or do you imagine a significant increase?
>>
>>1055864
>>1056015
Not that guy, but half the land is literally frozen tundra and ice. Another 1/3 or more is boreal forest, full of bogs and rocky/sandy soil, not really good for farming or anything even if cleared (except maybe blueberries or potatoes... not huge cash crops that can't just be grown better and longer further south). There are resource pockets with plenty of minerals and obviously trees. Good farmland in the southern prairies, and the St.Lawrence/Great Lakes strip from about Montreal to Windsor, and valleys of BC. Canada only started mass-immigration in the 1960s, really. There are only three 'big cities', Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, plus a handful of second-cities. Economy outside these cities is rather moribund on the whole. The whole eastern seaboard of Canada is, while pretty and full of generally nice people, an economically depressed shithole that ain't coming back.

The government certainly wants more immigrants, because immigrants = more tax base, and in theory a larger economy. Which is true, although the proportion of jobs is steadily switching more and more to service jobs (less manufacturing, finance, tech innovation, etc.), which isn't any value added. I'm not against immigration per se, it's how my ancestors got here after all, and I feel lucky to have grown up in a peaceul mutli-culti neighbourhood. But I think we let in too many too quickly, and they all concentrate in the big cities anyway. We certainly do have a lot of good land left, but it's precisely where poorly planned urban sprawl winds up. I guess we'll be 50-60 million in another couple decades. Not sure when or if immigration levels will level off. I think there is an over-reliance on immigration and it's not a golden ticket, nor does it help with societal cohesion when done too quickly (which it is). I can remember in my school years when we were under 30 million. It's rather terrifying to think we'd be anything like 80 million or whatever in another 100 years.
>>
>>1056015
This isn't really the right board for this, but there will be a continual steady increase:
>the canadian economy is based on a constantly expanding population
>the non white population is continually growing and no party will say no to more immigration and alienate this group
>immigration is a quick fix for fundamental economic problems, which are complicated by previous immigration, requiring more immigration and a never ending cycle of it

Right now the population grows by 1 million every 4 years. The new government wants to make it every 3.
>>
test
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.