[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going to be headed to Portland, Oregon next month with friend.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 45181452452.jpg (537 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
45181452452.jpg
537 KB, 1500x1500
Going to be headed to Portland, Oregon next month with friend. Anticipate spending some of the time outside/wandering around until we get set up with jobs. Was looking for something like in picture but for $30 or less. Also, any tips regarding traveling and temporarily living on the streets welcomed. Can't really find anything online that isn't just a plain canvas duffel bag for cheap.
>>
File: 1448827057918.jpg (51 KB, 600x656) Image search: [Google]
1448827057918.jpg
51 KB, 600x656
>>1055473
Where can I buy a bag like this?
>>
Military surplus stored for used ones
>>
>>1055473

Sort of off topic, but just want to warn you that you and your friend will be one of a few thousand homeless already looking for a job. It's not an easy city to find work, because it's a prime destination for people who are trying to do exactly what you're doing. It's a great city with a lot to do, but come with some emergency money so you don't get into serious trouble.
>>
>>1055473
Don't buy a Rotcho bag, I bought one of their duffles bags when I was out traveling a while ago, the quality was shite, it started ripping in pretty much every seam after just 1 week, I had to hunt down some thick thread so I could sew it back together and complete the trip.
>>
>>1055887
I'm not OP but I was thinking of heading out there soon, can you gimme an idea of some of the stuff going on?
the recreational sounds pretty sweet
>>
No offense, but fuck off we're full.
>>
Huh, Australian here thinking of going to Oregon/Washington next year with a friend.

I want to go here and camp, explore, interact with people. Is Oregon a good place for people.. people? My friend and I are quite keen to get out and meet new people.

I've always just wanted to experience the fucking amazing forests I've seen in Washington/Oregon.
>>
>>1056869
>>1056917

It's a great place to visit and if you're a young adult you will have no problem meeting people. The beer/pub/bar culture might be the best in the U.S. and microbrews are everywhere. Portland has always had a homeless problem and that has increased a ton lately due to the recent press. Unless you're moving there permanently you will not be able to find a job. There's no such thing as I'll make a little money doing odd jobs in Portland right now, because there are a tremendous amount of people like the OP who want to explore the area.

There aren't too many specific attractions within the city (although you have to go to Powell's, even if you don't like books it's a can't miss experience), but the culture is amazing. Finding people to hang out with will not be a problem, and sometimes it feels like the city is only populated by young adults.

As many will say the best thing about Oregon (and the Pacific NW in general) is the outdoors. If you want to go camping and/or see temperate forests and waterfalls there is no better place to go. The whole Willamette Valley is littered with outdoor attractions. The most obvious ones are The Hood River Valley (tons of waterfalls and gorgeous scenery), Mount Hood itself (can be busy in the winter and personally I think it's a little overated as it's always a little crowded/ not the best skiing in the region if you're into that, and Bend. If you like to ski and/or other snow related activities Bend (central Oregon) is absolutely fantastic in the Winter (there's stuff to do in the summer but it's hot and there's a lot less water). Bend is a little expensive, because the city is mostly made up of rich people's 2nd homes (which they rent out most of the year for decent prices), but it's a must see for outdoors men. Also nearby are Astoria and the coast mountain range.
>>
>>1057122

The whole coast range is filled with hikes and campsites. The views are excellent and I'd recommend checking out some of the dunes (there's one giant one that's a huge tourist attraction and a couple other areas where there's just dunes for miles with nothing around). If you like wine, wine tasting is everywhere (the Willamette Valley is a lot like Nappa in this since) and there's a ton of local produce as well. In the South of Oregon there are couple rural towns, one of which is Ashland which has a very charming culture and for some unknown reason is home to a Shakespeare festival giving the city a booming tourist life. This is just Oregon, but in Washington (especially the Seattle area) there's a ton to do as well. The Pugent Sound is beautiful and all of Washington is filled with camp sites and scenery just like Oregon. Washington is little more monogamous, but in general the state is pretty similar to Oregon.

Lastly, some practical advice. Be prepared for the weirdest weather you've every experienced. It never rains hard, but it will be really sunny for half-an hour, then start hailing for a few minutes, stop, start raining and then go back to being really sunny. In general the weather in the valley is mild year round. The mountains get very cold at night and during the winter. If you're going in the winter it will be snowing in the mountains, which let's you go skiing, but also prevents any chance of camping without a ton of equipment. Bring more money than you'd expect as all of the activities tend to add up pretty quickly. There aren't a ton of hostels which can become a serious problem if you didn't make plans, and lastly everything is very far apart. You will need a car, and hitchiking is very hard as once again there are a ton of young adults trying to do the exact same thing. Oregon and Washington are huge states with a ton to do. I've lived here for almost a decade and have traveled a ton within the state,
>>
>>1057127

yet every year I still find something new to do. Attractions are plentiful, but farther apart than they look. People are fantastic, but a lot more straightforward and less like you're typical American. You won't get that Southern feel of everyone being overly gracious, but I find that the people here are incredibly sincere. It is the center of "hipster" culture, but I've noticed that it means something a little different in Portland. The Pac-NW is unmatched in it's amazing scenery so come prepared to experience it. Hope I could help! Sorry that this got so long.
>>
File: IMG-20151010-WA0011.jpg (33 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151010-WA0011.jpg
33 KB, 306x306
>>1057122
>>1057127

Don't listen to this guy. The PNW is an awful place and you shouldn't come here.
>>
>>1057131
If someone is visiting for a few weeks whats the best way to find out interesting things going on? I'd like to check out the city for most of the time i'm there
>>
>>1057134

If something big is going on there should be ads everywhere that make it pretty obvious. I'd certainly set a few days aside to go see the Hood River Valley and the Coast. You can do this whenever you want, but during the week is the best as the sites are less crowded. The city is full of parks, a few museums and the nightlife is fantastic. Go to a different pub/micro brew every night and if you meet someone interesting ask them what they think you'd be into. Food carts are a must (I don't like them that much, but I'm in the minority) because the experience is awesome and very unique to the area, and please don't wait in line for multiple hours to try whatever the fad culinary fad is when you're there (especially not those damned donuts). There's honestly so much going on that you can pretty much go anywhere and find something to do.
>>
>>1057137
I don't know why, but I've been saying Hood River Valley instead of Columbia River Gorge. The Gorge is closer and more iconic (all of the waterfalls and hikes), whereas the River Valley is larger and filled with orchards and farms (still interesting, but not quite as big of an attraction). Woops.
>>
im going and staying with a relative to look for work what are my chancesof getting one if i really really try? also im coming from la so im sure we have it worse due to over population.
>>
>>1057137
how is it if your above 18 but below 21, does it limit much?
>>
>>1057491

yes, in terms of options for nightlife. beers & brewing is a popular activity here
>>
>>1057492
damn it. I was thinking of visiting over winter, but if thats a limiting factor I might as well head somewhere else, like seattle or something. No chance of other stuff to do there?
>>
>>1057493
Just get a fake ID. No one's going to care that much, but the city is certainly way more fun for a 21 year old.

>>1057447
It's not an overpopulation problem so much as a homeless problem. If you're looking for real work (i.e. a regular job) you'll have a much easier time than if you wander around looking for odd jobs. If you have good job experience and are well qualified it's not any harder to find a job than most other cities, but if you're trying to do manual labor/unskilled labor you'll have an extremely hard time.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.