[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to Italy On the 21st of December! So excited.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: image.gif (20 KB, 431x438) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
20 KB, 431x438
I'm going to Italy On the 21st of December! So excited. But I need some advice guys. Hostels and airline tickets are already booked, my friend even got us a rental car. The one thing I'm having a hard time with is how do I book tickets for the Ferry that will shuttle us from the mainland to Messina, Sicily? We want to drive all the way down to the tip of the "boot" then ferry across the channel. But I can't find anything on it. Is it just something we can book once we get down there? Or does it need to be in advance?

Also, how is Venice during New Years? Many QTs out?
>>
>>1054427
That ferry connects a well populated island with th rest of the country, and in particular two relatively big cities. I guarantee you there's no need to book in advance -- it's probably not even possible.

If you're going to Venice to meet locals, qts or not, you've chosen the wrong destination. As for the tourists, it's not exactly party city numero uno, but you might be lucky.
>>
http://www.traghettilines.it/it/sicilia/traghetti-reggio-calabria-messina.aspx
>>
>>1054430
>>1054432

Thanks

And I guess that sucks about Venice. Maybe there will be QTs in the hostel. The hostel we booked looks really nice. But I've never stayed in one before so don't really know what to expect.
>>
>>1054434

Lots of noise at night and a constant smell of feet. Other than that, plenty of new friends!
>>
>>1054458

That sounds do-able. I just hope there is some females to hang out with. But even if there's not, this trip is way overdue. Can't wait.
>>
File: image.jpg (204 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
204 KB, 900x600
>>1054430

>not exactly party city.

This is Venice during New Years
>>
File: capodanno-roma2.jpg (38 KB, 561x421) Image search: [Google]
capodanno-roma2.jpg
38 KB, 561x421
Best place in Italy for new years is Roma, free concerts around the city and huge firwork display.
>>
File: mgarr-harbor.jpg (188 KB, 768x512) Image search: [Google]
mgarr-harbor.jpg
188 KB, 768x512
>>1054427
Best place still Malta (I live there) Its south of Sicily
>>
>>1054588

We'll be heading back to Rome on Jan 1st
>>
File: 2010-09-02 17.11.32.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
2010-09-02 17.11.32.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
thread hijack... I'm interested in Sicily, and maybe the Aeolian islands.. any recommendations? its me 30yo and my girl, not huge partiers but still need some nightlife, and romance... Is Taormina a tourist nightmare? is Palermo a sprawling dirty shit hole? whats the accommodation scene like? mostly b+b's?
Sorry if I spelt this shit wrong...
pic not entirely related
>>
The only thing worse than Venice during New Year's is Venice during Carnival. Watch your pockets.

>>1055660
I've never been to Taormina, so I can't comment on that.
In Palermo, you're good to go anywhere during the day. Avoid the shiftier quarters at night, though (lo Zen comes to mind). I stayed with friends so I have no idea. Sicily in general has been falling apart for a century or so, expect quite a bit of decay. Messina in particular seemed to me like it'll be collapsing over the next 10 years.
Lipari and Vulcano are the most-visited Aeolian islands. Go to Vulcano if you want to see black sand beaches. Depending on when you go, you have to book a ferry in advance. They're limiting the number of tourists because the islands are pretty small.
>>
Hey OP, where are you spending New Year? I'm going to Rome on the 28th, but still haven't totally decided if I'm going to spend New Year there or where. (haven't booked absolutely anything but the flight. Guess I should get going with that)

A couple question for anyone willing to answer:

Any suggestions on where to spend new year? What's a nice cheap hostel in Rome?
What are some must-see from Italy? (preferably going north, since I have to be in Germany on the 7th of January)
>>
>>1055762
>What are some must-see from Italy?
If you are interested in art, you should see Florence. If you want to appease your relatives, you should visit Pisa. Another small city in Tuscany, such as Lucca, is good, if you have the time.

And some time in your life you should visit Venice.
>>
>>1054681
bullshit, malta is so over rated.- fellow malteser
>>
>>1055762
Stay in Roma for new years as everywhere else is dead. Italians will be with their families and you will find most places are deserted and closed down. Roma you will have a good time, lots to do and see. As for what to see in Italy, usual Coloseum and Vatican things, Il corso for shopping or Via Veneto. When you travel north you can stop in Firenze but i dont like the city desu, its ok but Roma is better. Milano is ok if you like fashion and clubs. Venezia is really expensive and a trip in a gondola will be like 70 euro's and accomodation and food are double or triple the price of anywhere else during holidays. Stay in Roma, thats my advice and then head up to Germany. Towards midnight head towards Gianicolo and you can see the whole of Roma and massive firewroks display.
>>
Hey /trv/, I'll be travelling to Rome in acouple weeks. Haven't booked anything yet.

Any hostels to recommend? I prefer something rather humble, family like, sort of hippieish
>>
Be warned, no one digs hippies in Italy. Hoteliers will say they are full rather than have a hippy inside.
>>
>>1055762

OP here

I'll be in Venice the 28-31st and will be in Rome 1-3
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.